Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY 2018.5 XC90 D5 towball limit

Views : 827

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2017, 19:02   #1
volvocamper
Master Member

Default MY 2018.5 XC90 D5 towball limit

Am highly likely to swap my 2014 VW Touareg for a new 2018.5 MY XC90 D5 R-Design in March. Picked up a 2018 MY brochure about 6 weeks ago which stated factory fitted towball weight limit max 140kg (which is fine as towbar limit of caravan is 125kg so have, without trying hard) been ensuring it is under 125kg.
Went to dealer today with a few questions and he gave me a brand new 2018.5MY brochure and i note the towball limit in the new brochure has been reduced to 110kg. Anyone any idea what has changed with the car to bring down the limit please?
Now have to do a bit more research to see if i can get caravan nw down to this lower level. Shame.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 22:12   #2
qm2

In the owners manual the 7 seater is 110kg and it says the 5 seater is 140kg. Didn't know you could get a 5 seater.
qm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 09:07   #3
volvocamper
Master Member

Thanks, guess there is a 5 seat version in some markets and with the UK 7 seat model it would be possible to have 2 people in the 3rd row seats plus still enough space for weight waaaaaay back in the boot hence towball weight limit is reduced to compensate a little, unless anyone has any other explanations?
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 11:48   #4
pagan8c
Master Member

My noseweight is around 85kgs and it is just a case of moving stuff about in the van. I have the factory towbar on my 7 seat XC90 and there was only 1 weight which was 140kgs on my MY2017. What van have you got? most hitch weight limits on the Alko hitch are 100kgs and there are not many cars/Suvs can handle much more than this anyway.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 12:13   #5
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan8c View Post
My noseweight is around 85kgs and it is just a case of moving stuff about in the van. I have the factory towbar on my 7 seat XC90 and there was only 1 weight which was 140kgs on my MY2017. What van have you got? most hitch weight limits on the Alko hitch are 100kgs and there are not many cars/Suvs can handle much more than this anyway.
It is a twin axle Buccaneer plated to MTPLM 2000kg and does weigh that fully loaded as been over a weigh-bridge. It is a BPW chassis with max hitch weight of 125kg.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 14:58   #6
ukden

Caravan noseweights can be a problem.

I currently have a Compass Rallye 540. With the caravan empty, apart from a 110 Ah leisure battery in it's compartment, and two 6Kg propane bottles (in the front locker) the noseweight is 120 Kg. The maximum allowable (for the caravan) is 100Kg.

By carrying only one gas bottle and careful packing I usually end up with a noseweight of 90-95 Kg.

Your Buccaneer being twin axle, is inherently more stable than a single axle caravan, you should be able to load the caravan to get the noseweight around 100Kg which would be fine.

I use a set of old bathroom scales to measure the noseweight, more accurate than those noseweight gauges you can buy.

My last three cars have all been Land Rovers with 150 Kg noseweight limits, however, those noseweights were stated with the cars loaded to their maximum weights. Land Rover allowed the noseweights to be increased (up to 250 Kg in the case of my Discovery 3) provided that the maximum rear axle loading was not exceeded. Generally this involved not using the third row seats and reducing the payload in the luggage area. I suspect that this is also the reason for the difference between the XC90 5 and 7 seat versions.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 16:19   #7
cassell
Member since 1988

Things have actually improved a little, the previous generation XC90 only had a 90kg towball nose weight limit IIRC.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 16:57   #8
volvocamper
Master Member

I have been ‘playing’ with the caravan this afternoon. It is kept at home with heater on v low so most stuff except perishables and bedding remain in it and very little taken out of the front.
On my Milenco nose weight gauge I can get it to 110kg quite comfortably. As you have suggested distribution may need ‘fine tuning’ once we attempt to use it ‘in anger’.
Interestingly both gas bottles still in place, caravan on the level and handbrake off.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 18:55   #9
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
I have been ‘playing’ with the caravan this afternoon. It is kept at home with heater on v low so most stuff except perishables and bedding remain in it and very little taken out of the front.
On my Milenco nose weight gauge I can get it to 110kg quite comfortably. As you have suggested distribution may need ‘fine tuning’ once we attempt to use it ‘in anger’.
Interestingly both gas bottles still in place, caravan on the level and handbrake off.
Instead of a heater I have this year started to use a dehumidifier find it is more efficient than a heater on low.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post: