Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed MOT on emissions

Views : 5042

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 16:19   #51
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Conwy is not at all far from me.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 16:31   #52
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Dave,

MAF was replaced Oct.2014 (186181 miles) OE VO8251497, Bosch 02802 12016. Never contemplated cleaning it. ( Was once advised to try cleaning a lambda sensor with brake cleaner. Did so and wrecked it.)
I take your point about the ECU and cleaning the PCV again a short while later.
Oil: Last 4 years used Castrol Magnatec, part synthetic, 10W 40, A3/B4 as Costco cash & carry have it on offer occasionally and I stock up. Previously used Vauxhall’s part synthetic 10W 40, A3/B4 as brother able to obtain it discounted at local Vauxhall dealer until they were taken over by Tustain.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 16:52   #53
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Cleaning a MAF needs to be done with either carb cleaner or for preference, MAF cleaner. Best way to clean a Lambda is an Italian Decoke.

As for the oil, nothing untoward there, not my own choice but nothing wrong with them. The reason i asked is for many years i used ECPs own brand (Triple QX) 10W40 semi-synth in my cars. Changed the oil in three cars (827 Coupe, 827 Sterling and the then recently acquired 760) and all three engines became smoky instantly including smelling like they were burning oil from the exhaust.

I'd never had a problem with that oil before but found something online that suggested it was recently changed to include recycled oil.

Did an oil/filter change on the Coupe and substituted a litre of ATF-U for some of the new oil to help clean things through and the smoking stopped on it. When it got towards the time it needed another oil/filter change, there was a faint whiff again but nothing like it had before.

Likewise on the Sterling and 760 - i won't have another problem with the Triple QX oil as i won't use it now, not even in my lawnmower! I tried it and even that started smoking and was a pig to start! Changed it for some of what i had left over from substituting a litre of ATF-U in the cars and normal service was restored to the mower as well!

This is what i use now :

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...4211&0&cc5_245

With their discounts it usually comes out about £13 and does have a slight pong like Castrol but nowhere near as strong. Seems to stay in grade better between changes than the original Triple QX as well and stays fairly clean between changes too - always a bonus!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 19:34   #54
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Cleaning a MAF needs to be done with either carb cleaner or for preference, MAF cleaner. Best way to clean a Lambda is an Italian Decoke.

As for the oil, nothing untoward there, not my own choice but nothing wrong with them. The reason i asked is for many years i used ECPs own brand (Triple QX) 10W40 semi-synth in my cars. Changed the oil in three cars (827 Coupe, 827 Sterling and the then recently acquired 760) and all three engines became smoky instantly including smelling like they were burning oil from the exhaust.

I'd never had a problem with that oil before but found something online that suggested it was recently changed to include recycled oil.

Did an oil/filter change on the Coupe and substituted a litre of ATF-U for some of the new oil to help clean things through and the smoking stopped on it. When it got towards the time it needed another oil/filter change, there was a faint whiff again but nothing like it had before.

Likewise on the Sterling and 760 - i won't have another problem with the Triple QX oil as i won't use it now, not even in my lawnmower! I tried it and even that started smoking and was a pig to start! Changed it for some of what i had left over from substituting a litre of ATF-U in the cars and normal service was restored to the mower as well!

This is what i use now :

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...4211&0&cc5_245

With their discounts it usually comes out about £13 and does have a slight pong like Castrol but nowhere near as strong. Seems to stay in grade better between changes than the original Triple QX as well and stays fairly clean between changes too - always a bonus!
The Gulf is what I've got in my 744 and 245 at the moment, Dave...second your comments about it being a good oil, it's stayed nice and clean for 3000 miles in the 245 since the last change and 2000ish in the 744, both cars feel smoother on it too.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 19:56   #55
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
The Gulf is what I've got in my 744 and 245 at the moment, Dave...second your comments about it being a good oil, it's stayed nice and clean for 3000 miles in the 245 since the last change and 2000ish in the 744, both cars feel smoother on it too.
It's not just me then that thinks mine run smoother on it Phil! I thought it was that i had a good oil in the engine again after the dodgy stuff so didn't pay it much attention.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 20:41   #56
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've done a bit of digging
Mine's a 1993 2.0 Turbo,
so when I eventually really really fail an emissions test
I can "get out of jail free"?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 20:47   #57
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Oil history.

In my 940, before the Vauxhall oil I used Comma semi synthetic from a particular trade only motor factor at trade price. I’d used that in my daughter’s Orion and both my Marinas and before them a Mk3 Cortina. Before that I had a couple of Triumph Heralds for quite some time and used only Duckhams Q 20/50 in them. I did try some Castrol GTX in once which I had won in a motor club quiz. The rocker cover filled with mayonnaise. I changed that back to Duckhams sharpish. I’ve never used any of the others you’ve mentioned.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 21:22   #58
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
Mine's a 1993 2.0 Turbo,
so when I eventually really really fail an emissions test
I can "get out of jail free"?
Looking at the list etc, i'd say you standa a good chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
In my 940, before the Vauxhall oil I used Comma semi synthetic from a particular trade only motor factor at trade price. I’d used that in my daughter’s Orion and both my Marinas and before them a Mk3 Cortina. Before that I had a couple of Triumph Heralds for quite some time and used only Duckhams Q 20/50 in them. I did try some Castrol GTX in once which I had won in a motor club quiz. The rocker cover filled with mayonnaise. I changed that back to Duckhams sharpish. I’ve never used any of the others you’ve mentioned.
Comma do some good products but the thing to remember with them, particularly with engine oil, is they are a blender and not a refiner.

In other words, they will buy say 1000L of base oil 10W40 mineral oil and 1000L of 10W40 synthetic, mix the two together to create semi-synthetic adding the additives to reduice friction, improve viscosity over time and so on and have about 2000L of semi-synthetic 10W40 oil.

Part-synthetic oil (in case anybody is wondering) is different in that it can be mineral oil with synthetic additives and won't necessarily give the prolonged protection that semi-synthetic will.

Gulf on the other hand are a refiner so everything is done in house, rather than buying in bulked oil so there is less risk of contamination (like i suspect happened with the Triple QX stuff i had that was dodgy - ECP get it blended for them) and a generally more consistent standard. It's worth trying a 5L bottle of it next time you do an oil/filter change, i've recommended it across 3 forums i'm on and had good reports back on all three.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 15:59   #59
besidetheseaside

In a moment of boredom I looked at the inside of the throttle body and it was nice and clean so I left it alone. Took off the oil separator tank and it was clean as a whistle.
besidetheseaside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to besidetheseaside For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 18:42   #60
besidetheseaside

Also been discussing my problem with like minded friends and the misfire keeps worrying me, it was very rhythmic, almost pulsating from the exhaust, not random like you would expect from a random misfire.
besidetheseaside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to besidetheseaside For This Useful Post: