Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car insurance

Views : 3921

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 13:01   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikewatch View Post
I've done similair in the past, though worth remembering that if the ex gets points that you don't find out about and declare it could invalidate your policy.
She's off it now but I would have known if she'd picked up any points because she lives her life through Facebook. 😁
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 18:28   #12
gordonr

7 yrs NCB but the boys in blue nabbed me doing 68 in a 50 zone on xmas eve 2013 hence 3 points and £100 fine
The gets tailgated me on the outside lane in a black Audi s3 and I sped up to let them past to get back to the inside lane,
Stitched up nice as you like eh, I was raging
440 turbo
440 glt
gordonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 19:19   #13
timmytarmac

Im with Hasting Direct. I had someone damage my car in a car park last year when I wasn't even in the car but had to notify the insurance company of the incident (It's in the terms and conditions) I had the police there also as the guy refused to give details and became aggressive and flat out refused any blame. No cctv proof so basically I got shafted. Renewal time went through the Meerkats and cheaper than my renewal so I will just go back to Hastings completely forgetting about the car park incident sorry sir your non fault notification means that your more likely to have a crash in the future so it will be £70 more than that cover (that will stay with me for 5 years). If your not going to claim it's not worth telling them about it I know I will think again in the future.

Hastings were not very helpful and would not accept my complaint I am awaiting there official response then I ask the ombudsman. They tell me not all company's see a notification as risk but they do. Needless to say at renewal time I wont go with them ever again even if there the cheapest (alot of the company's do this).
When I get a bad service from a company I vow to avoid them at all cost from then on and I tell them why.

Hi everyone bye the way

Volvo V40 1.9 Diesel 121k.........
Black Sapphire Metallic
timmytarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 19:59   #14
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonr View Post
7 yrs NCB but the boys in blue nabbed me doing 68 in a 50 zone on xmas eve 2013 hence 3 points and £100 fine
The gets tailgated me on the outside lane in a black Audi s3 and I sped up to let them past to get back to the inside lane,
Stitched up nice as you like eh, I was raging
Raging or racing.....

Worth noting is that premiums can be reduced if you park in the street. Yes cheaper to park in the street than on a drive. I queried this and was told a car is more visible on the street to passing police (whatever they are, you never see any let alone any passing!!)/other motorists so theft is less likely than if the car is on the drive, where they can work to steal your car hidden from view...!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 20:29   #15
neanderthal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Gordon i don't even know who my insurance company is,ive always used the aa i go through them i have always got a reasonable quote.
i have just recently joined the AA from the co-op only because the co-op could not offer the 12 months breakdown for free again(understandable) and the AA offered a free 12 months breakdown cover(not home start though)that cost me an extra £40.... fully comp £100 excess.any car that i drive breakdown....key loss...£260.....reasonable for me
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 20:30   #16
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

I don't trust fully comp or even third party fire and theft coverage to pay me much if my car is stolen, damaged or burnt, so I just pay for the absolute minimum legal coverage.
That still costs my partner over 2K due to her 5 previous claims for the V40. I pay 500 Euros at present for my Twingo, BUT I was only driving company cars for the last few years, so got zero deductible for the new pre abused French job.
Oddly enough I got the best deal from my own Volksbank, although AXA are sometimes cheaper in Germany.

It's more expensive in Southern Germany if you park on the street and the premium does depend on the total miles, but they only check the TUV figures every 2 years, so that's more of a longer term issue.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 20:36   #17
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
I don't trust fully comp or even third party fire and theft coverage to pay me much if my car is stolen, damaged or burnt, so I just pay for the absolute minimum legal coverage.
No idea what the score is in Germany, although in the UK third party is sometimes the most expensive option, as apparently people who insure their cars with this minimum amount of cover seemingly couldn't care less - which is reflected in the higher premium as they are seen as a higher risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
That still costs my partner over 2K due to her 5 previous claims for the V40.
Surprised your partner can get insurance full stop..!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 22:50   #18
gordonr

[QUOTE=ilikewatch;1863009]Hastings were certainly cheapest for both me and my wife this year - we each paid a net price about £150 fully comp for my S40 and her Fiesta ST, both parked in the street.[/QUOT

My van got written off a few years ago and i was with hastings , they were a total nightmare i hope you dont need to make a claim

440 turbo
440 glt
gordonr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gordonr For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 23:32   #19
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
i have just recently joined the AA from the co-op only because the co-op could not offer the 12 months breakdown for free again(understandable) and the AA offered a free 12 months breakdown cover(not home start though)that cost me an extra £40.... fully comp £100 excess.any car that i drive breakdown....key loss...£260.....reasonable for me
You could have got home start and extra things £30 cheaper lol, with the AA ive found over the years haggle with them don't except the first offer they give you mate.ive been with them for years since 17 they are just a broker not insurance company in themselves.so you can always get a better deal.

And welcome back timmy
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 23:39   #20
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
No idea what the score is in Germany, although in the UK third party is sometimes the most expensive option, as apparently people who insure their cars with this minimum amount of cover seemingly couldn't care less - which is reflected in the higher premium as they are seen as a higher risk.
Surprised your partner can get insurance full stop..!!
Regards
I've never known an insurer quote a higher premium in any country for third party. When I was last in Blighty it cost double for fully comp.

There are two main differences with German insurance companies, firstly they always cover collisions with deer so you can crash into them rather than lose control and go for either a head on crash or a tree wraparound job. Most of the fatal accidents near me have been pedestrians wearing dark clothing crossing a road when drunk or deer related.

Secondly, if it's below 7c when you crash, if your car does not have winter tyres fitted, you are guilty by default, even if some muppet runs into your stern, unless they are drunk etc. That means nearly everyone fits winter tyres, even though it is not required by the law.

AXA booted my partner out after 3 crashes, but a German bank will allow 5 if you don't have any related charges from the Police.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post: