Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Mk2 clutch position sensor, where is it !

Views : 513

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:34   #1
Lancee
Premier Member

Default C70 Mk2 clutch position sensor, where is it !

Anyone have a clear picture/photo' of where the clutch position sensor is on a C70 Mk 2 ?

I have changed these on a V70 before, and that's some contorted fun, but I can't seem to even see where the sensor is located on a C70 (Mk 2). I have trawled the net but most info' seems to be for the Mk1.

I have the faulty sensor code, no cruise and engine service required message symptoms.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 15:13   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Disappointed in you lot ! 51 views and nobody knows ? What a let down !

I have changed a couple of V70 Mk 3 sensors before, but it seems from what I can ascertain so far the ones for the C70 Mk2 are physically different, and not surprisingly more expensive.

Car goes into Volvo on Thursday then perhaps it will all become apparent.
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 17:35   #3
markt1
Trader

That's c70 owners for ya
Have you crawled under the dash and looked for it....it must be there somewhere
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 20:16   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

markt1, accept my sincere apologies, for I have recently further swelled the C70 ownership herd. But of course because I want something from someone I am still communicating !

Indeed, I have thoroughly grovelled whilst adopting a painfully contorted posture, one far exceeding the effort required to find the earlier V70 Mk 3 offending item/s. All to no avail.

Also something akin to a gynaecological skill set some how springs to mind.
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 21:26   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Anyone have a clear picture/photo' of where the clutch position sensor is on a C70 Mk 2 ?

I have changed these on a V70 before, and that's some contorted fun, but I can't seem to even see where the sensor is located on a C70 (Mk 2). I have trawled the net but most info' seems to be for the Mk1.

I have the faulty sensor code, no cruise and engine service required message symptoms.
It is clipped to the body of the clutch master cylinder a rectangular black plastic housing with a wire plugged in .
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 21:56   #6
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is clipped to the body of the clutch master cylinder a rectangular black plastic housing with a wire plugged in .
Further to; it's been discovered ! Under the bonnet apparently attached to the side of the clutch master cylinder. All that grovelling under the dashboard!

Looks like access might be a challenge. I assume it's just clipped in place ? Might be useful to have some idea of the technique for removal if anyone knows ? It all looks plastic in there and the heavy handed breaking of a retaining clip on the master cylinder might result in the need for removal/replacement of same, a complex and costly procedure from what I can ascertain and one to be avoided.

Is the position sensor a mechanical device, or is it by induction/magnetic ?

Thanks Clan.

Last edited by Lancee; Jul 26th, 2022 at 23:00.
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 00:18   #7
markt1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
markt1, accept my sincere apologies, for I have recently further swelled the C70 ownership herd. But of course because I want something from someone I am still communicating !

Indeed, I have thoroughly grovelled whilst adopting a painfully contorted posture, one far exceeding the effort required to find the earlier V70 Mk 3 offending item/s. All to no avail.

Also something akin to a gynaecological skill set some how springs to mind.
It's on the master cylinder then, ha ha no problem mate....I remember doing one on a van, I ended up like a slinky.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markt1 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 19:01   #8
C70InSuffolk

Default C70 clutch position sensor location

It's actually easy to find, but you have to be a bit acrobatic.

Remove the grey panel under the steering wheel, held in place by one screw and a push fit. There is a lighting wire on the right hand side as well, so don't forget to pop the plug out instead of just yanking it.

You are going to need a head torch. Push the seat as far back as it will go and lie on your back. With your head under the clutch you should be able to now just look up and see the sensor.

It is very easy to remove - just pop the two ends off and unclip the electric plug. Fitting is the opposite - plug it in and pop the two ends back on.

My old one was soaking wet after 19 years and 94,000 miles. Clutch fluid. Someone else here has suggested wrapping a food bag around it. I think it's a good idea.
C70InSuffolk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C70InSuffolk For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 19:21   #9
Lancee
Premier Member

An update to/follow up from my original post/s, and herin lies madness;

Largely/likely relevant to ECM-9320 Clutch pedal sensor, signal outside its permitted range.

To quote from VIDA;" The Engine control module (ECM) receives information about the clutch pedal position via a position sensor and a position switch. The position switch indicates that the clutch pedal has passed 75% of its possible movement. The diagnostic trouble code is generated if the engine control module (ECM) detects that the signal from the position sensor is faulty."

Therefore there is a sensor on the master cylinder under the bonnet AND a switch under the dash on the clutch pedal assembly.

The sensor under the bonnet is relatively (ha ha!) accessible, the switch on the clutch pedal box is not (it's an absolute b*stard !). I now know from experience.

Last edited by Lancee; Yesterday at 20:27.