Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to Volvo's - My new T4

Views : 18634

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 00:10   #11
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

lol! i managed to get my clumsy great hands in there no probs. ill take some pics tomorrow for ya mate
...edit: ill take some today, damn its late

Last edited by spangoolies; Jan 3rd, 2009 at 00:13.
spangoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:05   #12
Enigma666
Master Member

Not as late as me though mate lol
Thanks very much for the pics though I'm sure my Haynes will tell me otehrwise but I think even that says take off the front bumper
I am determined there is something I am doing wrong as there is no way I have to take the damn front bumper off to change a bulb!
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:42   #13
Gareth83

Hmmmmmm,

Having changed the plugs yesterday I have just driven it to work and after about 8miles the lambda light has come on.

Suggestions as to what the fault could be? Coincidence since I changed the plugs?

I found this:

Quote:
Hey,,, the light you see is called the lambda light,lambda is the term used when we talk about mixture ie 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel to carry out compete combustion within the cylinders, this light comes on if one of your sensor's is not reading properly or not working within its parameter's.

Possible faults......

1. faulty oxygen sensor(front or rear)
2. faulty mass air flow sensor
3. faulty turbo boost pressure sensor
4. faulty boost pressure regulator
5. faulty engine control module
6. faulty or blocked catylic converter
7. ripped or loose clips on intake or turbo rubber hose's.

Any of the above will cause the lambda light to switch on dus higher emission's lower fuel economy, i recommend you drop it to your local Volvo dealer,most backstreet garage's don't have the proper diagnostic equipment to read live data from the engine control module,
I'm lost now!

Is there a DIY reader available or anyone in or around Cardiff who could check my codes for free or perhaps for a pint?

The plugs were like for like so I can't imagine it is them unless the emissions now need adjusting as a result?

According to NGK the spark plug gap is a standard 0.8mm but I read on the forum they need to be 0.7mm, can anyone confirm the correct gap please?

Last edited by Gareth83; Jan 3rd, 2009 at 08:47.
Gareth83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:39   #14
Nocomplaints1977
S40R The Yellow Peril

"How much are you talking for a rechip and upping the boost? Is fuel consumption a problem? I'll prob leave it standard to be honest. (So I say lol)."

Ups the boost to about 1.2bar and adjusts the fueling plus you have to run on SUPER which even with a standard T4 is recommended to get the most out of the engine both economy and power wise. Depends which one you got for. I've got an Upsolute which I have no problems with but is a chip reflash involving physically removing the chip and reflashing it but is cheap. Around £300 when I had mine done, generally better or same fuel economy with an extra 36hp and 40ftlb torque. Makes a noticable difference .

Those plus you have put in are the ones I used and the tip disintergrated, maybe a duff batch but I would get Volvo after using those for 10k, as I said only £28 and T4's like them. Gap them for 0.6.

Heater matrix is in the bulk head. Look for rubber pipes coming out and if there like the phase two ones the bleed valves should be obvious (red flat head screw bit set into red outer ring for you to grip).

Could be any of those faults, AFM or Lamda most likely although I had a intermittent fault for ages along with bad idle that turned out to be the return from the carbon filter vent of the fuel tank sticking open and needing replacing despite the code pointing the the AFM. (No substitute for Volvo dealer knowledge, common fault apparently).

Gaz

Last edited by Nocomplaints1977; Jan 3rd, 2009 at 09:45.
Nocomplaints1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:45   #15
Gareth83

Well having a chip flashed isn't my cup of tea. If I were to get any tuning done it would be done on a rolling road with it remapped to my individual engine (seeing as my mileage is different to yours, running different spec etc). Not all generic chips/tuning profiles are suited to cars even with the same base engine.

As for the plug gap? You are saying 0.6mm? So I have now seen 0.6, 0.7 and 0.8mm mentioned. Hmmmmm confused even more lol

Last edited by Gareth83; Jan 3rd, 2009 at 10:28.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:01   #16
Enigma666
Master Member

If you want a custom map done then Marco at MTE is THE MAN
He is the wizard of Volvo.
He will do a full on the road tune of your car if you want but expect to pay £500 + for the pleasure.
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:37   #17
Dandle
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth83 View Post
Hmmmmmm,

Having changed the plugs yesterday I have just driven it to work and after about 8miles the lambda light has come on.

Suggestions as to what the fault could be? Coincidence since I changed the plugs?

I found this:

I'm lost now!

Is there a DIY reader available or anyone in or around Cardiff who could check my codes for free or perhaps for a pint?

The plugs were like for like so I can't imagine it is them unless the emissions now need adjusting as a result?

According to NGK the spark plug gap is a standard 0.8mm but I read on the forum they need to be 0.7mm, can anyone confirm the correct gap please?

If they are iridium IXs then the gap doesnt need adjusting, they come pre adjusted and dont need gapping like conventional plugs. If they arent Iridium IXs then change the plugs(I used NGK Iridium IXs BKR6EIX with alot of success in my car, as have many others). The car certainly looks like its running rich from the pics of the last plugs. Why not just buy a code reader they arent that much these days and as you have sussed you cant really fix anything on these cars without the codes being read.

Last edited by Dandle; Jan 3rd, 2009 at 11:42.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:03   #18
Gareth83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
Why not just buy a code reader they arent that much these days and as you have sussed you cant really fix anything on these cars without the codes being read.
I asked this above:

Quote:
No one has pointed me in the right direction as yet
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:12   #19
Dandle
Master Member

Sorry didnt think you ment that. Your car is on the change over point the S40 went through when they turned OBD2 compliant(OBD2 is a diagnostic protocol). Something like this will work if the car is OBD2(tbh i would think it is but im not 100% sure) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-CAR-...3A1|240%3A1308 if it isnt then its main dealer only or the cheapest software is around £200.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:19   #20
Gareth83

Is there a way to check whether my car is compliant? ECU number perhaps?