Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Have Volvo vehicles improved since being bought by Ford?Rating 1 to 6. (1 - Yes, 6 - No)

Views : 22996

Replies : 205

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have Volvo vehicles improved since being bought by Ford?
Rating 1 to 6. (1 - Yes, 6 - No)
Yes, love 'em! 44 16.30%
I like some of the new models 107 39.63%
Could be better, but the XC90 is nice! 119 44.07%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 07:24   #181
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
Why would Fifth Gear advertise for Renault by using a 3/4yo car? The whole point of the test was to demonstrate how safety has progressed over the last few years.
I know the point of the test but it was much debated if Fifth gear had removed the Volvos engine.....

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 11:58   #182
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The electronics , BLIS , and a lot of the unique systems from 2007 onwards , they used the RTI and remote locking system for their Aston Martins. I suppose volvo benefitted from Landrovers Hill Descent Control though ;-) Has anyone actualy USED that ?
I have, the HDC is bloody fantastic mate.
The Thong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 20:04   #183
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
I know the point of the test but it was much debated if Fifth gear had removed the Volvo's engine.....
I personally can't imagine why they'd bother, the ride height of the Volvo would have looked very odd at the front with an engine!

Looking at the clip again I can really understand why people would think they had but frankly safety has just progressed so far...
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 18:58   #184
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

6 SIX 6 SIX 6 SIX

have they hec improved dealer support down hill service costs through the roof and parts fail to say a few a true volvo of peddiegree would be and stand the test of time and be road safe

they fords with volvo badging in my view and if you want summit to back it up look at all the hassles with gearboxes in new volvos

now a old gear box would still be working 30 years from being made so think what u will quailty workmanship they aint got lol

sorry if it offends its just my view and experience gimme a classic volvo any day over a new one holds the money better aswell

ps poll needs a "no" added to it seems the poll is set so it has no choice but a way of u saying u like em

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Oct 11th, 2012 at 19:02.
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 09:52   #185
Nip sips

I'm a newbie but as I work for a ford dealer I may be able to shed some light from a ford perspective. The Focus 2005 on models are very similar to the V40/C30 and a world apart from the mk1 focus in terms of build quality and drive. However the Diesel engines are not ford based - they are all PSA units. The only true Ford diesel in the Focus was a 1.8 Duratorq which is an unrefined 8 valve. I've just bought an S60 and I also test drove a MK3 Mondeo - the S60 is built ten times better! Feels more solid and looks better too.

Fords have improved recently ill give you that. But they still to this day don't feel as solid as Volvos do in my opinion. Or BMW for that matter!
Nip sips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 10:28   #186
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
6 SIX 6 SIX 6 SIX

have they hec improved dealer support down hill service costs through the roof and parts fail to say a few a true volvo of peddiegree would be and stand the test of time and be road safe

they fords with volvo badging in my view and if you want summit to back it up look at all the hassles with gearboxes in new volvos

now a old gear box would still be working 30 years from being made so think what u will quailty workmanship they aint got lol

sorry if it offends its just my view and experience gimme a classic volvo any day over a new one holds the money better aswell

ps poll needs a "no" added to it seems the poll is set so it has no choice but a way of u saying u like em
in fairness to volvo though a lot of things these days are from the same manufacturers not the car manufacturer. In relation to the gearboxes i think what you are referring to is most of all is DMF's and DPF related (in diesels anyway).

Gearboxes now have quite a bit more power from a smaller engine, and no doubt more torque. Whilst the DMF treated badly will not last neither would a many a clutch i doubt many a gearbox either.

DPF's you cannot escape from 2011, as all diesels had to have them to get past emissions from the EU!

Many things on introduction or 1st versions are/were naturally unfortunately "flawed to some degree".

Any NEW car would have depreciation nothing new there. Quite why that is revelation is beyond me.

I sometimes "love" the them and us on here, honestly.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 10:30   #187
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip sips View Post
I'm a newbie but as I work for a ford dealer I may be able to shed some light from a ford perspective. The Focus 2005 on models are very similar to the V40/C30 and a world apart from the mk1 focus in terms of build quality and drive. However the Diesel engines are not ford based - they are all PSA units. The only true Ford diesel in the Focus was a 1.8 Duratorq which is an unrefined 8 valve. I've just bought an S60 and I also test drove a MK3 Mondeo - the S60 is built ten times better! Feels more solid and looks better too.

Fords have improved recently ill give you that. But they still to this day don't feel as solid as Volvos do in my opinion. Or BMW for that matter!
Scratches head? was the 2.0D not a Ford and Pug joint venture...
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 12:14   #188
Nip sips

Not as far as I was aware. I thought it was all PSA... Although Wikipedia says different. Ironically I'm a parts advisor for Ford/Peugeot and Citroen lol. Ford tend to label their engines with a name code I.e the 2.0 diesel in a Mondeo/Transit (16v chain driven) is a Puma and the 1.8 I described earlier is called a Lynx. The PSA engines in the Focus are a DW10. Ford may have financed it but there aren't to many Ford components in them if any! It's a bit confusing really as the Puma diesel is still used in the Transit, and the Lynx is in the Transit Connect, Ford seem to have no desire to use these engines in their commercial vehicles.

Either way they seem to be fairly solid engines i guess, apart from the turbo issue on the 1.6 and the DPF although I'm not to sure if Volvo use them? Maybe Ford told us that they were PSA engines in case they were horrendously unreliable.

Ironically someone said earlier about Ford stealing the 2.5 T5 engine? A stonking engine however it seems the emissions regulations have put a stop to it, and now even Ford are having to use a 2.0 Ecoboost in their ST.
Nip sips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 12:18   #189
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip sips View Post
Not as far as I was aware. I thought it was all PSA... Although Wikipedia says different. Ironically I'm a parts advisor for Ford/Peugeot and Citroen lol. Ford tend to label their engines with a name code I.e the 2.0 diesel in a Mondeo/Transit (16v chain driven) is a Puma and the 1.8 I described earlier is called a Lynx. The PSA engines in the Focus are a DW10. Ford may have financed it but there aren't to many Ford components in them if any! It's a bit confusing really as the Puma diesel is still used in the Transit, and the Lynx is in the Transit Connect, Ford seem to have no desire to use these engines in their commercial vehicles.

Either way they seem to be fairly solid engines i guess, apart from the turbo issue on the 1.6 and the DPF although I'm not to sure if Volvo use them? Maybe Ford told us that they were PSA engines in case they were horrendously unreliable.

Ironically someone said earlier about Ford stealing the 2.5 T5 engine? A stonking engine however it seems the emissions regulations have put a stop to it, and now even Ford are having to use a 2.0 Ecoboost in their ST.
volvo do use the 1.6 as the low emissions (the earlier 16v and the newer 8v)

ford funded it but from what i heard ford were the main suppliers of finished engines and volvo made the most from what i heard!

technically it is true there would of been no ST or RS...in the Mk2.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 15:07   #190
mrc1501
Master Member

Wow!! Just spent quite an age trawling through all this. Would it help the argument to actually state which models of Volvo have been influenced by Ford, and exactly what was it that was changed/modified/adapted.

Which models, and model years, have seen the biggest input from Ford, and what was this input

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote