Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Social Media

Views : 438

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2024, 11:10   #1
James77

Default Social Media

I'm not a big social media follower but I have recently joined an XC60 group on a well known Meta platform. It's interesting as it mixes all generations of XC60 and experiences from over the globe. What is stark is the love for the older generations of XC60 the longevity and minimal faults into 2-300km and the agonising decision people go through when deciding to leap to a newer version, the worry of niggles on more complicated cars. There are also those that are into new XC60s and naturally love them as they're great cars to drive. Unfortunately those that are buying 2019/20/21 cars are experiencing many faults, warnings, failures particularly on the T8s just shows how cautions you need to be owning a complicated car more long in the tooth particularly if you're the second owner.
Concern is it will only get worse as options for second hand cars become limited to complicated options which cost a kings ransom anytime you go near VIDA. In the 70's streets of the UK woke up to the sound of flat batteries, no starts, push starts now they wake up to the blong or an electrical error on your TFT display. I'm sure older versions of XC60s had their issues as do newer and all other marques too, but that is the direction of travel. I owned a 2015 D4 SE Lux Nav and part exchanged at 37k trouble free miles and I have a 2019 T5 AWD at 37k which has been great (long may it continue).
My point, do we need such complicated cars, what was wrong with rack and pinion, throttle cable, when you pressed a button it actually did something rather than ask the opinion of the super computer? Has the sweet spot of cars gone I know this is progress and we have to move forward but progress needs to make things better and that is not always the case. Perhaps I'm feeling a little melancholy on this Thursday morning after nearly a year of solid rain and my barbecue willing the sun to come out!!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 12:03   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
I'm not a big social media follower but I have recently joined an XC60 group on a well known Meta platform. It's interesting as it mixes all generations of XC60 and experiences from over the globe. What is stark is the love for the older generations of XC60 the longevity and minimal faults into 2-300km and the agonising decision people go through when deciding to leap to a newer version, the worry of niggles on more complicated cars. There are also those that are into new XC60s and naturally love them as they're great cars to drive. Unfortunately those that are buying 2019/20/21 cars are experiencing many faults, warnings, failures particularly on the T8s just shows how cautions you need to be owning a complicated car more long in the tooth particularly if you're the second owner.
Concern is it will only get worse as options for second hand cars become limited to complicated options which cost a kings ransom anytime you go near VIDA. In the 70's streets of the UK woke up to the sound of flat batteries, no starts, push starts now they wake up to the blong or an electrical error on your TFT display. I'm sure older versions of XC60s had their issues as do newer and all other marques too, but that is the direction of travel. I owned a 2015 D4 SE Lux Nav and part exchanged at 37k trouble free miles and I have a 2019 T5 AWD at 37k which has been great (long may it continue).
My point, do we need such complicated cars, what was wrong with rack and pinion, throttle cable, when you pressed a button it actually did something rather than ask the opinion of the super computer? Has the sweet spot of cars gone I know this is progress and we have to move forward but progress needs to make things better and that is not always the case. Perhaps I'm feeling a little melancholy on this Thursday morning after nearly a year of solid rain and my barbecue willing the sun to come out!!
I don't think we need such complicated cars either. Now when you sit in new models, there's screens all over the place and no dipstick to check the engine oil... its pretty much computer galore. There's much more to go wrong nowadays... when it does, it costs big money (unless under warranty).

I don't think these newer models will last the way the old ones did. I believe progress can be made without all these complicated computers. Work on the stuff that matters... suspension, sound insulation, weight reductions where possible leading to better fuel efficiency and keeping cars safe. You don't need a screen to control everything and a computer to tell you what's wrong with the computer.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 11th, 2024 at 12:43.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 12:39   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Although I find myself in broad general agreement with the views expressed above, I am not sure that I would want to return to the standards of my first car, a 1951 upright Ford 8HP Anglia either.

Heated seats? Forget them, a heater was a rare optional extra. Vacuum operated wipers that slowed down or stopped when you put your foot down. At least the Anglia had two - later Pops made do with one. Semaphore indicators (Trafficators) that often required a strategically placed thump on the door pillar to make them work.

Six volt electrics, with lighting that wouldn't excite an amorous glow worm. 30 grease points requiring attention every 1000 miles, ditto an oil change where no filter was fitted - you could always buy an external bypass one as an optional extra which extended the interval to 3000. The list goes on and on.

I agree that today's cars are too complex, fragile and expensive, but I wouldn't want to return to the likes of the Ford. No, I think the sweet spot has to lie somewhere in the 70s / 80s. Early enough to not be computers on wheels, but late enough to have a reasonable a level of kit, be reliable, safe and rust resistant. A bit like my old 740, in fact!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Apr 11th, 2024 at 12:41.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 13:19   #4
Phil Croxley

I agree with most of what's been said. I'm happy to have an older XC60, and still only on 52k, so my plan is to keep it serviced and run it for as long as possible but not do many short journeys. My wife has a Vauxhall Astra, not a bad car but since last year its hardly been used as she has "stolen" the 25 year old VW Polo I bought last year for £150. She loves the way it doesn't have gadgets as she puts it. Imagine EV's when they're 15 years old!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 14:06   #5
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Croxley View Post
IImagine EV's when they're 15 years old!
I really doubt any car rolling off a production line today is going to make 15. The technology in them is their built in obsolescence.

My XC90 is 20 next year but still too full of expensive breakables, I hope to get a few more years out of her and expect I'll go for something around 2014/15 next which if I get that to 20 it'll see me to an age where I'm too decrepit to need a car that size!

Assuming I can afford the odd gallon of diesel in 10 years time...
The Following User Says Thank You to Andymharrison For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 14:54   #6
Lancee
Premier Member

Perhaps time for a reality check ? I am minded that the basic function of a vehicle is to reliably transport people and "things" from A to B safely and with a level of protection from the elements ?

To my mind the above motives have been overshadowed by those of, for example, status, image, competition and an out of control blind adoption of consumerism. All at the cost of the fundamentals outlined above and ironically the very environment which sustains us all.

Yes there will be the environmental arguments in support of all the technology, but I seriously question the "nett carbon footprint" of it all, and don't get me started on the "cost of living crisis", enough people seem to be able to find the money to support the new car industry "junk" products.

Finally, why do some people go to work, probably doing something they detest on a daily basis, with likely associated depression and stress, just to spend a large chunk of their earnings on a rarely used, depreciating, over technical, unreliable lump of modern bling, just so it looks good on the driveway ?

Sorry, bit of a rant there ! Each to their own !

Edit; I have resisted an urge to expand on the original mention of social media. I am sure that will be to the great relief of all.

Last edited by Lancee; Apr 11th, 2024 at 15:01.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 18:36   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Perhaps time for a reality check ? I am minded that the basic function of a vehicle is to reliably transport people and "things" from A to B safely and with a level of protection from the elements ?

To my mind the above motives have been overshadowed by those of, for example, status, image, competition and an out of control blind adoption of consumerism. All at the cost of the fundamentals outlined above and ironically the very environment which sustains us all.

Yes there will be the environmental arguments in support of all the technology, but I seriously question the "nett carbon footprint" of it all, and don't get me started on the "cost of living crisis", enough people seem to be able to find the money to support the new car industry "junk" products.

Finally, why do some people go to work, probably doing something they detest on a daily basis, with likely associated depression and stress, just to spend a large chunk of their earnings on a rarely used, depreciating, over technical, unreliable lump of modern bling, just so it looks good on the driveway ?

Sorry, bit of a rant there ! Each to their own !

Edit; I have resisted an urge to expand on the original mention of social media. I am sure that will be to the great relief of all.
My XC90 has been exceedingly comfortable and generally lovely and has been worth every penny to be a fantastic place to sit for the last 8 years, 2 hours a day over 175000 miles. Very little of the electronics has gone wrong, in fact the biggest bill was for the old fashioned engine.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 08:52   #8
Steve XC60
Structural member

The day will come when the cost of insurance to drive yourself will be too high and so no one will do it. We’ll look back on the days we once drove cars (aka horseless carriages) the same way we look back on the days of horse riding and the cart and blacksmiths and the great horse manure crisis of 1894 (yes that was a real thing). When that day comes, the vehicles on the roads will be used 95% of the time, rather than 5% of the time and so they will only need to last a few years. We won’t own them as they will be owned by big corporate mobility providers. Travelling in them will be free, as long as we agree to be bombarded by advertising while in them. We’ll be actively encouraged to feed our addiction to smart phones while in them. We are the test pilots of those future vehicles and Uber drivers are cheap labour building the network.

I enjoy driving and I like my car. I am sure if I had lived 120 years ago, I would have been sorry to see my horse go too.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 09:15   #9
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve XC60 View Post
The day will come when the cost of insurance to drive yourself will be too high and so no one will do it. We’ll look back on the days we once drove cars (aka horseless carriages) the same way we look back on the days of horse riding and the cart and blacksmiths and the great horse manure crisis of 1894 (yes that was a real thing). When that day comes, the vehicles on the roads will be used 95% of the time, rather than 5% of the time and so they will only need to last a few years. We won’t own them as they will be owned by big corporate mobility providers. Travelling in them will be free, as long as we agree to be bombarded by advertising while in them. We’ll be actively encouraged to feed our addiction to smart phones while in them. We are the test pilots of those future vehicles and Uber drivers are cheap labour building the network.

I enjoy driving and I like my car. I am sure if I had lived 120 years ago, I would have been sorry to see my horse go too.
Mr G Owrell has spoken