Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Caravans & Volvo Assistance

Views : 3825

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 10:09   #1
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Default Caravans & Volvo Assistance

In the past we have always relied on National Breakdown, AA, RAC etc for our breakdown cover whilst in the UK but when Volvo offered Assistance as part of the service deal we gladly accepted and let our other cover lapse.

I enquired and it unfortunately appears that they will not respond to a problem, such as a flat tyre, if it is on the Caravan even if it happens whilst towing. The cover is for car faults only.

Has anyone any experience that would prove or disprove what Volvo Assistance have told me because if it is true it reduces the value of Volvo Assistance to effectively zero for me, and I also suspect to many of you in this section of the forum, as I will need to buy cover that includes the caravan from elsewhere.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:49   #2
Steamdrivenandy

Location: on the edge of North Staffs, south of Crewe, looking out over Cheshire in awe and wonder

I wouldn't be at all surprised that it doesn't cover caravans. I'd only just renewed our Mayday Caravan Club cover (provided by Green Flag) a matter of days before purchasing the Volvo and being given Volvo Assistance for a year. If the Volvo package included caravans then I could've saved myself £100 or so by getting a refund under distance selling rules but as I'm fairly certain caravan's aren't covered I won't be bothering.

I once asked Mayday if they provided 'caravan only' cover as at the time my Kia was covered by Kia's assistance package, but Mayday, the Caravan Club's own service won't offer such a package. You'd think, given it's the CARAVAN Club that they would offer CARAVAN cover, but not so. I guess there's an awful lot of caravanners effectively paying double for cover. It might be worth asking a selling dealer for a discount as you won't need the Volvo Assistance package, but I doubt you'd get anywhere because it's presumably included in Volvo's wholesale price.

Last edited by Steamdrivenandy; Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:52.
Steamdrivenandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 12:35   #3
DC850
VOC Member

The way I do my cover is The RAC with my Camping & Caravan club discount which covers the caravan as well as the car. In fact my membership card for RAC has the Camping & Caravan logo on it.
I have looked a lot of connected breakout covers i.e. banks and have always found they are very limiting. As my cover covers me and the wife in any car where we own or driving the car tow or not. I have so far no complains about the cover I have.
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DC850 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 18:43   #4
IainMcL1970

I pay for Mayday as well through the Caravan Club.

I would rather have double cover than be stranded with none.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IainMcL1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 20:47   #5
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Thank you for that.

Considering how keen Volvo are to promote the cars as a Caravanners choice I would have hoped that they would have included the trailer in the cover.

I will be buying a Car/ Caravan breakdown policy.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 21:43   #6
pagan8c
Master Member

As I read it they will take the caravan if the car is disabled but they won't just take the caravan if there is nothing wrong with the car.So if you are towing and something happens to the car then they will recover the caravan as well.I have AA cover on the van with my caravan insurance and it cost about £60 for the caravan to be covered for the year.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 23:21   #7
Steamdrivenandy

Location: on the edge of North Staffs, south of Crewe, looking out over Cheshire in awe and wonder

The top level cover with CC Mayday cost me circa £120 including car, caravan and Mrs SDA's car as well.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 15:34   #8
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamdrivenandy View Post
The top level cover with CC Mayday cost me circa £120 including car, caravan and Mrs SDA's car as well.
Excellent value was once bought home by green flag 500+ miles Vauxhall Senator & Caravan great service well worth the money.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 09:43   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

Agree with GJB great value and if you take out CC Mayday Eropean cover when going abroad you get £5 off.

Great service when you are abroad as well.
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 10:05   #10
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Not sure why it's such a surprise that Volvo Assistance will only cover the vehicle itself. Otherwise you could hookup any old shed to the back and expect them to come out and repair/recover it when the wheels fall off.

You wouldn't expect your life insurance policy taken out in your name to automatically cover your partner just because they happen to have moved in with you.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post: