Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Get back at Top Gear

Views : 4358

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 22:55   #21
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Speed

I tend to tow nearly as fast as if I am not towing. I find if I am pressing on on larger roads I am usually drawing away from the traffic. Small van, big Volvo. Smaller roads is a bit more fun as it can be necessary to make an emergency stop when you realise that you and the oncoming white van will not both fit through the gap. So there I am a bit more careful. But my van is old so I can brush it along the hedge with impunity. I don't think cameras can tell the difference between a carvan and a car so unless you go over the margin over the limit you don't get kodaked.

Touch wood the only time I nearly got pulled was pulling hard in third up an incline on the M3 (I was in the middle lane and the outside lane was steadily streaming past me at very illegal speeds) to get past a very smoky diesel (all right, nearly 5,000 rpm in third, 745 GLT 16V, look the ratios up, naughty me smack smack) when I realised that after the volvo that had just gone past me was another volvo about to go past that other volvo - and the second one had a jam sandwich stripe and lice in it. I tucked in and by the time Mr Plod was able to get back into the middle lane he was so far ahead that he didn't bother. Bit of a narrow squeak though.

No, I don't think most of us hang about.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:34   #22
LankyTim
Missing the point

Speed cameras can tell the difference between cars and HGVs as they can measure the amount o radar reflected back, big vehicles when different speed restrictions to cars are treated accordingly...

I didnt know they could do this, but I do now!!!!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 10:57   #23
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Sensitive cameras???

Thank you Tim that is worth knowing!
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 11:25   #24
Hezi
VOC Member

Hi Guys

Just to cheer you you caravans and to prove you aint all slow.

A few years ago a mate projact mananaged a crack a the world speed record for towing a production caravan.It was started with a Swift van which they "tweaked"and they pulled it with a Dodge Viper IIRC.The speed i think was 205 kph,not sure if it has been bettered yet. They even sold the van afterwards.

Obviously not all caravans are slow

Steve
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 15:08   #25
dodgyken
Master Member

A friend tows his Radical - in Brian James covered trailer that does an uncanny impression of a caravan - at 70mph with his X5 without issue.

The most amusing EVO article was when they tried to see if they could get the Fiat Panda to accelerate faster by whacking it on a trailer and towing it!!

All the cars/SUVs managed it - 535D, Cayenne, Range Rover Sport, and the Merc G-something - but with the car on the back it still hit 60 in about 6 seconds!!
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 15:48   #26
ovlov25
Premier Member

I'm not into Caravans but i'd quite happily have one of those American Silverline jobbies... and a V8 XC90 to pull it with

I prefer to rough it with an Igloo tent, sleeping bag and a Army surplus camping stove! Mucho fun eating breakfast from a Mess tin whilst sitting on a bedroll on a dewy summers morning. More of a holiday for me personally. i'm too tight to pay for a hotel and i'll only relent if t'other half insists

Personally Caravans don't annoy me, people that can't overtake do.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 20:32   #27
nejones
T-7 creator/driver

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov25 View Post
Personally Caravans don't annoy me, people that can't overtake do.
Well said!
Often during the spring/summer months you can find yourself in a queue of traffic behind a caravan or camping trailer. It can, within a few bends or straights, become obvious that the problem isn't the caravan and its towing vehicle but the car or cars behind it that are not willing to overtake it. Not only are they unwilling to overtake it but they dont want any other vehicle to overtake them or it either!
They drive almost bumper to bumper @ 50mph (A roads) just to prevent anyone that wants to enjoy their driving at the legal speed limit doing so.
Try to pass and they close the almost non-existant gap to non-existant in a blaze of flashing headlights and hand gesticulations!

Are there any worse drivers than those i've just described?

Probably!

Probably they drive only on a Sunday or they drive BMW's.

Rant over, like the stickers in the original post especially the STIG one
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 15:24   #28
ovlov25
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nejones View Post
Well said!
Often during the spring/summer months you can find yourself in a queue of traffic behind a caravan or camping trailer. It can, within a few bends or straights, become obvious that the problem isn't the caravan and its towing vehicle but the car or cars behind it that are not willing to overtake it. Not only are they unwilling to overtake it but they dont want any other vehicle to overtake them or it either!
They drive almost bumper to bumper @ 50mph (A roads) just to prevent anyone that wants to enjoy their driving at the legal speed limit doing so.
Try to pass and they close the almost non-existant gap to non-existant in a blaze of flashing headlights and hand gesticulations!

Are there any worse drivers than those i've just described?

Probably!

Probably they drive only on a Sunday or they drive BMW's.

Rant over, like the stickers in the original post especially the STIG one

Tailgaters and 'under' takers really annoy me. I had a little Harry Snotter in a Civic Type R tailgate and then try and undertake me over the hols (and no i wasn't lane hogging) I think he was quiet surprised at the lift a T5 has

Caravans seem to get picked on, HGVs, tractors and me when i'm pulling the transporter are probably just as annoying to other road users
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 16:52   #29
LankyTim
Missing the point

I think the anti-caravan thing is a throwback to when youd get stuck behind a cortina towing a 5 berth caravan doing 35MPH in a 60. Modern cars are much more capable and can tow at the legal limit no problem.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 17:03   #30
ovlov25
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
I think the anti-caravan thing is a throwback to when youd get stuck behind a cortina towing a 5 berth caravan doing 35MPH in a 60. Modern cars are much more capable and can tow at the legal limit no problem.
Hmm dunno, i remember my child hood mates Dad pulled a 5 berth with a 1.3 maestro!! Did it rather well too. Probably would be rather frowned upon now though lol. Think he uses a Rover 75 diseasel now.

In fairness the best tool i ever used was a 4.0l Ford Explorer. Plenty of torque and very stable. Pulled my twin axle wheel transporter with a e-class merc on the back no probs. Surely thats alot heavier than any caravan?

hopefully my 850 will cope with my bro in laws jet ski this summer