Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Anti skid light + reduced engine performance

Views : 1787

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2014, 17:32   #1
carlazi

Default S40 Anti skid light + reduced engine performance

I am looking for some help with a problem i am experiencing with my 07 volvo s40

About 2 years ago the anti skid light started coming on plus messages on the computer stating anti skid service required and reduced performance. I took the car to a garage and after a while they solved the problem with replacement of a pipe and a sensor. This worked for about 2 days when i was driving to work and i heard a whooshing sound plus the anti skid light etc came on. Took the car to the garage and said pipe was reattached and securely tightened and nothing more heard from this problem, until now. I have attached some pics of the area i think was effected

This problem only happened when accelerating. The issue seems very random though the car does not feel very nippy at the moment, like a lack of torque.

I have tried tightening the jubilee clips on the pipes i think that were effected but i am too sure if i am in the right place.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Does the pipe need regular replacement/reattachment? If i am to take it to a garage what should i say about the problem or is some other issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

carlazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 18:12   #2
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Check the abs rings have not cracked ,very common and esy fix ,gives the symptoms you describe under hard acceleration or on tight bends.
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 18:17   #3
carlazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca2 View Post
Check the abs rings have not cracked ,very common and esy fix ,gives the symptoms you describe under hard acceleration or on tight bends.
Is it that something i can do myself or is that a job for a garage? Not exactly an expert at these things
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 18:42   #4
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Jack up ,remove wheel and rings are visible between the cv joint and the hub, check the ring has all its teeth and no hairline cracks, they crack due to corrosion between the ring and the body of the cv joint, they cost about 3 quid and are relatively easy to change if you have a little bit of ability and some good sockets.
Cracked rings show up most on hard acceleration or at high speed but can also cause the symptoms you described at low speed tight turns like mini roundabouts.

Oh and make sure you stick an axle stand under the car.
Good luck.
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 19:30   #5
carlazi

Thanks for the advice, will give it a try in the morning.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 12:23   #6
carlazi

Update to the problems.

I took the car to a local independent volvo garage today. Explained the problem i had in the past and how it had reappeared. Mechanic had not heard of this problem. They read the codes and came back with lots of things wrong. So the log was reset and i was advised to go away to recreate the problem. Managed to do that within 30mins so took the car back to the garage for a fresh read.

The turbo pressure being too low was the major problem on the 2nd read out, as i expected. The mechanic read volvos advice and it agreed with what i knew from the past and recent research. Either there is a leak in the vacuum line, its clogged or the sensor is playing up. Also mentioned the ECU needs updating.

I was a little confused that the first thing they wanted to do was update the ECU as this I doubt would not solve the problem. Is there any advantage to updating the ecu for the overall running of the car?

For the turbo pipework on the lines from the engine how much would it cost to replace in the UK and how would know its a leak, sensor or clogged?

Sorry for the long post, i wanted to get it all down to see if anyone could help. Thank you for reading.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 12:52   #7
Brigand
I've Been Banned

Mechanic had never heard of cracked abs rings on a volvo ..mmmm ..that sets alarm bell ringing, did he actually check the rings?
Brigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 13:57   #8
carlazi

he was certain they wouldn't be the issue. i am no mechanic but the fact the same problem was fixed 2 years ago suggests the issue is again possible