Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 lighter

Views : 520

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2014, 13:11   #1
mariosm1cy

Default S80 lighter

Hi to all, I am new to this forum. I own a volvo s80 2000 model.
I bought this car used and I tried charging my phone from the front lighter socket, I face two problems, the socket pops my charger out for some reason and the second one it does not charge (the charger's light bulb does not even turn on). If I press the lighter it does get warm though so there is power there.
On the rear lighter socket the charger stays fine and the charger lights up and charges my phone.

Does anybody know or experienced something like this? Is this a problem with the lighter port and needs to be replaced?
I found a third party lighter socket of ebay really cheap. (eBay item number:181441221619)

Anyone to advice?

Last edited by mariosm1cy; Jul 4th, 2014 at 13:14. Reason: added ebay item number
mariosm1cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 14:00   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I have the same socket in my 2002 V70. It's shallow. I will try the rear one now that you mention it.
I occasionally use a GPS and it's a bother when the plug pops out because it initiates a long, involved reset in the GPS.
Replacing such a socket should be straightforward. See if the sockets' wiring matches, i.e. Does the socket have 2 wires and plugs in or is it a cheap replacement with only one wire, leaving the socket to ground-to-chassis.

Also, when you do this. Stop the car, let it sit 10 minutes to gather its thoughts, disconnect the battery. I add this because you hear stories about warning lights going off when dash elements (A/C) are unplugged hot. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 15:31   #3
mariosm1cy

I bought the lighter socket, I will post here with results.
mariosm1cy is offline   Reply With Quote