Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 20T 5 Years On

Views : 612

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2014, 16:21   #1
PICKLEPOP

Default S60 20T 5 Years On

Hi all, not posted for a while but i'm an avid reader of these pages and I am grateful for the wealth of knowledge and experience to be found on these forums.
Its been five years since I got the S60 20TSE (year 2003)my first Volvo and it now has the grand total of 70,404 miles on the clock. I've never kept a car longer than five years but to be honest I cant see me ever letting this one go, it has been without exception the finest car I have ever owned and i've had some good ones, including Jags, Mercs and Audis (never had a beemer though)
I have done all my own servicing and tackled some jobs I would not have considered but for this forum and in the 5 years ive had it, it has never really let me down, all its ever cost me so far is new discs all round, just fitted and its just had another top engine stay bush fitted plus obviously routine service items, oil,plugs etc.
It still rides superbly, the autobox is silky smooth and The BSR remap gives it a fair bit of grunt, yes I know its never going to be a T5 but believe me when I tell you it shifts well enough for me and can embarrass some far more exotic/expensive newer machinery. But my favourite feeling is just sitting in the thing, its such a classy place to be and they can be had for beer money now.
I have the odd gripe but doesn't everybody, mine being the creaking dash, especialy when very cold and the curious but intermitant ticking/whiring from the glovebox area (heater fan/duct fan/floppy glovebox) and the difference between town mpg and on a run is staggering, shame I don't go on many runs!
But all in all this has been and continues to be a fantastic car so if anyone is thinking of getting one of these motors don't hold back as there are still plenty of low mileage ones about and from what I see on this forum, they seem to last for ever if well looked after.
Well that's it, just thought I'd share my opinions on a great car.
PICKLEPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PICKLEPOP For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 17:50   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Look forward to the 10 year report!

All the best,

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 17:56   #3
PICKLEPOP

Forgot to mention, when I first got the car I thought the ride was very harsh (having had numerous XJ Jags, most cars seem harsh) but this turned out to be totally my fault as I continued to miss read the hand book and inflated the tyres to the high speed pressure. After dropping the pressure by about 6 psi all round the difference was night and day (still not upto Jag standards) and the ride is now great and all the Jags I had would be pure rust buckets now, well they were at about 8 years old and rust is something that does not seem to exist on modern Volvos.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 18:27   #4
andybird
andybird

Wink

Similar experience for me - I have had my S80 Bifuel for 8 years and I can't bring myself to part with it despite being in the fortunate position of being able to replace it with something newer.

Realistically it's not worth a lot, 80k on the clock but it is in ace condition - not a mark on the bodywork or interior and it runs like a dream.

There have been a few niggles - the LPG system played up for a while and a recent intermittent minor electrical issue that is now resolved. It has just yet again just sailed through the MOT with no advisories. Only work ever needed has been service items, the only relatively expensive being front bushes at around 60,000 so hardly a disaster.

I now feel kind of good running round in an 11 year old car that does everything i want of it. And passengers often comment about what a nice place it is to be. Insurance is now dirt cheap as over 10 years old although car tax is high as stupidly it is judged on emissions when running on unleaded rather than LPG (0.15% at last MOT on LPG gp figure).

I can see me running this car for a good few years yet - having got to the stage when I am not bothered about being seen in the latest new model I really can't see a reason to get rid of it.

The only thing I would like is another 100bhp or so......
andybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 18:43   #5
PICKLEPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybird View Post
Similar experience for me - I have had my S80 Bifuel for 8 years and I can't bring myself to part with it despite being in the fortunate position of being able to replace it with something newer.

Realistically it's not worth a lot, 80k on the clock but it is in ace condition - not a mark on the bodywork or interior and it runs like a dream.

There have been a few niggles - the LPG system played up for a while and a recent intermittent minor electrical issue that is now resolved. It has just yet again just sailed through the MOT with no advisories. Only work ever needed has been service items, the only relatively expensive being front bushes at around 60,000 so hardly a disaster.

I now feel kind of good running round in an 11 year old car that does everything i want of it. And passengers often comment about what a nice place it is to be. Insurance is now dirt cheap as over 10 years old although car tax is high as stupidly it is judged on emissions when running on unleaded rather than LPG (0.15% at last MOT on LPG gp figure).

I can see me running this car for a good few years yet - having got to the stage when I am not bothered about being seen in the latest new model I really can't see a reason to get rid of it.

The only thing I would like is another 100bhp or so......
Have you considered a remap? don't know if they work on lpg but I know it made a big difference performance wise to mine, just a thought.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 18:52   #6
D5Nick

I like it when people post good things

I am also utterly in love with my S60, and now that those very nice chaps at Shark Performance have remapped it for me, it's even better.

I've only had mine two and a bit years but I wouldn't give it up for anything else!

Thanks for reminding me how much I love my S60!
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 19:41   #7
andybird
andybird

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKLEPOP View Post
Have you considered a remap? don't know if they work on lpg but I know it made a big difference performance wise to mine, just a thought.
It has occurred but I have never followed it up - I beleive an upgrade from 140bhp to 170bhp on the petrol only model is very straightforward, but no idea if work would also be needed on the lpg delivery system as well - or even if it is possible.

I am also a bit cynical about how the remapping is done - I am aware that some simply open the throttle quicker which is a smoke and mirrors way of fooling the driver that there is 'better' peformance. But as I say, I am a bit of a cynic - it comes with age, as does being happy with driving round in a big Swedish barge.......
andybird is offline   Reply With Quote