Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lots of fault messages

Views : 14515

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2013, 12:38   #21
SonyVaio
VOC Member

It is doubtful your problem is ECU, it will be the CEM. I'm sure if you were to replace it or even drop it into Vovo to have a quality diagnostic they would pin point the problem.

For what it cost you in loss of use, fuel, wear and tear, plus the fact it was the garages duty run around for the period (I bet they were laughing to themselves), as well as alternative transport and hassle - do you not think it would have been better all round and cheaper to have gone to Volvo in the first place??

So weeks later and great expense with absolutely nothing in the way of a fix? I would say very poor service from said garage?

Your symptoms are classic CEM problem which is a common fault, fair enough if a clean fixes it but if it doesn't then you need a new one. No point winging at the fact you've taken the car to a garage that doesn't know what they are doing, probably done little about it apart from use your car for the daily bacon butties run? Come on 350 miles???? WTF?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 18:03   #22
johngm

According to Volvo :"Volvo`s CEM is a complex and feature rich ECU.........."
The duty of the seller,in this case the used car dealer,is to sell the car "fit for purpose",so naturally one would take it back to them in the first instance to enjoy the benefits of the warranty that they had given. Legally it also gives them the opportunity to fix things.So far it`s not cost me anything in money terms.
As it happens, we found out that this car had previously had this fault (before the dealer had it) and had been recovered on several occasions by the Main Volvo Dealer who evidently had`nt sorted the fault.Hence my lack of faith.So, if this is a classic CEM fault,surely the main dealer and later the independant Volvo dealer should be aware of this and therefore an easy fix.
As of today the seller dealer is going to collect the car.Where I go from here I don`t know.Watch this space.
johngm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 20:16   #23
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Fingers crossed you get good results John.

I'm 100% sure that both if wanted to could diagnose and fix the problem but unfortunately none of them (or the previous owner) obviously wants to pay out the £600 for the new part and would just punt the car on to an unsuspecting new owner and hope it doesnt rear its head until a little further down the road and out of any warranty period given or long enough at least to say 'Not my problem'. Thus saving them a load of money??

Something tells me they are not going to be able to shy away in this time though??

Keep the heat on them, with a bit of constant annoyance, pestering and pressure I would hope they get it sorted for you.

Quote:
According to Volvo :"Volvo`s CEM is a complex and feature rich ECU.........."
Everything connects to the CEM, it is the cental hub for all the cars electronics to go through to enable them to speak to each other and be processed through. Even if the ECU wants to query/speak or display information all the that goes through the CEM first.

Keep us updated on your progress. Waiting with anticipation.

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:11   #24
count0zero

I am also waiting to hear an update, as I am having similar issues now. Have had the following fault messages in past few weeks:

Anti Skid service required
Engine Performance (along with limp mode)
SRS Airbag Service required

Took it to Volvo for a free check after bought the car, no fault messages at the time. Then fault messages started. Took it to dealer and they found no isses. Got car back, got another error message for anti skid and took photo. Dealer will get car back this Friday.

This sound like the same thing? Volvo S40 1.8 Petrol 2008
count0zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 15:16   #25
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Yes, very indicative of a CEM problem.

Have you tried taking the CEM out cleaning contacts and ensuring everything is plugged in correctly and firmly?

The CEM gets disturbed when changing the pollen filter so it is very easy for it to be disturbed and for a slight loose connection. This then causes all the error messages as the cars systems are no longer able to communicate correctly - thus all the error messages over a number of systems as opposed to just 1 system.

NOTE! - Its good practice to disconnect the battery prior to unplugging and re-plugging connections on these cars. They have a habit of throwing up an SRS light which does need VIDA/DICE to reset.

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:37   #26
count0zero

Just thought I'd post an update on my situation. The sales dealer held the car for a week to see if anything happened. I'd given them photos of the message that was coming up which was 'anti-skid service required'

The dealer passed it onto Volvo who checked for faults. They said there were no 'current' fault messages but there were some stored ones. So they cleared this and did a software update.

I've had the car back since Friday and so far so good, no more fault messages. However it did manage quite a few days without messages before so we'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to count0zero For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 13:18   #27
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
They said there were no 'current' fault messages but there were some stored ones
That is the way it works, if there is an error the code is STORED and when checking for current faults you are looking for STORED messages?

The question would be what did they do a software update on and what error codes were stored prior to reset and update?

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 14:12   #28
count0zero

I was told that everything was checked. So anything to do with these 'stored' messages I'm thinking that Volvo checked them out and were okay.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 14:36   #29
johngm

Looking back into the paperwork that came with the car (i.e. before we and the selling dealer had it) an invoice from Volvo Main Dealer says:
"Brake,anti-skid and immobiliser messages displayed, vehicle will not start; turns over but will not fire. Read fault codes to find one stored relating to technical report. Carried out software reload to engine control module in order to reboot as required,cleared all fault codes and tested to find OK"
This was a week after the car had been recovered for the same fault "Carried out diagnostic check int. fault codes found for BCM. Checked all circuits and connections carried out thorough road test on vehicle OK"
SO, Software reload evidently did`nt work as the fault has reoccured 4 or 5 times since.
johngm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 14:40   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngm View Post
Looking back into the paperwork that came with the car (i.e. before we and the selling dealer had it) an invoice from Volvo Main Dealer says:
"Brake,anti-skid and immobiliser messages displayed, vehicle will not start; turns over but will not fire. Read fault codes to find one stored relating to technical report. Carried out software reload to engine control module in order to reboot as required,cleared all fault codes and tested to find OK"
This was a week after the car had been recovered for the same fault "Carried out diagnostic check int. fault codes found for BCM. Checked all circuits and connections carried out thorough road test on vehicle OK"
SO, Software reload evidently did`nt work as the fault has reoccured 4 or 5 times since.
With these symptoms , have a good look around the engine bay wiring loom , make sure it touches nothing , expecialy behind the R/H headlamp and where the looms is pinched by the AC pipes in that area , AND it goes over the sharp edge of the chassis there too by the headlamp , take out the headlamp for a good look , add plastic insulation where needed .
Also in the gearbox area the loom can rub , take out the air filter box for a good look . Sometimes just pressing the loom to move it can cure this for good .