Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's your worst service bill?

Views : 855

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 08:13   #1
iainmd

Default What's your worst service bill?

Just interested, what's everyone's most horrific service bill for their C30/S40/V50?

I've just had my 10yr/100k+ service and required...

- Timing belt (only expected part)
- 2 new rear springs
- 1 CV boot
- Rear pads and discs
- Camshaft seals
- A few other bits & bobs

Sum total just over £1,800! Gutted doesn't cover it but no option as it's cheaper than a new car.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 08:29   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

The joys of motoring eh?
I've just about done my front suspension on my drive and that would've cost well over £1000 (shocks, wishbones, track rod ends, droplinks) but doing it myself was £400.
A timing belt I would leave to a main dealer but I just can't justify paying 4 figures for someone to unbolt and refit some parts.
I also dislike how garages sell the parts to me dearer than what I can buy online.
Unfortunately, you have to choose whether to invest in a few tools and get your hands dirty or be at the mercy of "expert" mechanics.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:52   #3
Welton
Premier Member

I've not had a single large bill but have had several small/medium ongoing ones.

I've had lots of suspension work, the common oil filter/diaphragm thing, Cambelt, water pump, 2 x sets of aux belts/tensioners (now with another 'noise' to investigate), air con services, a 'potential' alternator soon......

I bet I've spent £2K on mine, thing is I still like the damn thing if I didn't I'd have launched it as soon as it needed something serious. At the end of the day if you look after these cars they are hard to beat, mines a keeper so I make sure I keep on top of things; it's a must.

Last Friday I took mine for it's annual Oil change; I bought the Oil and Filter myself for £83.00 and my friendly mechanic changed the oil, went over all the wheels, brake pads and tyres (even torqued the wheel nuts), ordered-in and fitted two rear silencer rubber hangers, topped up the screen wash all whilst I stood with him chatting..........all for £30.00
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 07:57   #4
janusz

1. Front control arms + tracking = 380
2. Clutch + dmf = circa 1100,
3. Wheel bearings = circa 320

All done at major dealer but for 2&3 I sourced and supplied parts myself. Oem parts, either in LUK or SKF boxes = half volvo price for the same part.
I got rear control arms left but holding off for now as i have ruined the bidget this year already... I bought parts myself too. Carparts4less or ebay
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 21:06   #5
marinemackay2003

I do all my own work, and get oil for free from work

Biggest bill was £12 for a filter from volvo
marinemackay2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 10:45   #6
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemackay2003 View Post
I do all my own work, and get oil for free from work
That's great if you know what you're doing ;-) Sadly, my knowledge goes as far as brake disc/pad changes and topping up fluid levels. I changed a driveshaft once on a Clio and that was a mission for me.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote