Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dashboard won't work after stereo removal

Views : 872

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 17:00   #1
Fogge

Default Dashboard won't work after stereo removal

Hi!

I recently purchased an -07 V50 with about 70k kilometers on it. I know it's been taken care of since it's my dad's old car. Since I wanted an AUX input for an mp3 player, I removed the floating panel and the stereo and then replaced it afterwards. No gauges or lights on the dash will turn on but everything (turn signals, windshield wipers, stereo and so on) works, just no indication. The orange engine light does come on briefly; it was time for service which we were supposed to be getting done in a couple of weeks.

Removing the adapter and putting everything back did nothing so I am guessing I must have moved something by mistake. Removing the radio was painless, I didn't have to tug on anything so I really have no clue what I could have knocked out of place, and the DIM and CEM both seem fine as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?
Fogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 17:57   #2
jeffmasson

The connector for the clocks is on the front lower left corner of the clocks. Only 4 screw to hold the panel up so I would start there take the panel off and the one under the radio and check the connector for the clocks and track it back checking any connections.

You also don't say if you discounted the battery if not try that first leave for a bit then check.

Good luck
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 22:22   #3
Fogge

I'm afraid you are going to be a bit more specific - I do not find my way around behind the plastic; I can drive but that is pretty much it. I read up thoroughly to be able to get the panel off and the stereo out before I even went and sat in the car, to know I wouldn't end up with an extra screw or something. I felt confident, and yet I ****ed something up.

Do I need to loosen something further to be able to find the connection you are talking about, or can I find/see it just by removing the floating panel? I'm not too keen on opening any more panels, cause I'll probably disconnect something else if I do...
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 11:42   #4
Fogge

I should add I did not disconnect the battery.

However!

Today I went down to the car on my lunch break to see if I could fiddle a bit with it, just look around if there were easy panels to remove or if I could find the connector mentioned by Jeffmasson, and lo and behold, the dash was back in working order. I guess letting it rest for some 16 hours did the trick. I'm gonna wait with reinstalling the adaptor until I have someone a bit more competent at hand in case the dash shuts off again and doesn't go back on after leaving the car overnight.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 17:54   #5
jeffmasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogge View Post
I should add I did not disconnect the battery.

However!

Today I went down to the car on my lunch break to see if I could fiddle a bit with it, just look around if there were easy panels to remove or if I could find the connector mentioned by Jeffmasson, and lo and behold, the dash was back in working order. I guess letting it rest for some 16 hours did the trick. I'm gonna wait with reinstalling the adaptor until I have someone a bit more competent at hand in case the dash shuts off again and doesn't go back on after leaving the car overnight.
just make sure you disconnect the neg terminal on the battery before you start as the car is more like a computer and some bits dont like being disconnected with the power on.

if you need more info about removing the panels let me know and i can send you a few pdf's from vida but its very easy and if you manged to remove the head unit you will have no issues doing it as its just 4 screws for the one under the steering wheel and the one under the head unit just pulls off.

Last edited by jeffmasson; Jun 4th, 2014 at 17:57.
jeffmasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 18:08   #6
oragex
Premier Member

try disconnecting both battery terminals for 12-15h then before plug it back put the ignition key in position II to prevent any power surge while connecting it. this should reset some of the electrical systems.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote