Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to look for on 2003 V70 D5?

Views : 1167

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2014, 16:51   #1
tunnie

Default What to look for on 2003 V70 D5?

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a V70, used to Vauxhall Omega's had their Estates which are huge, but looking at something a bit newer and a bit easier on fuel.

V70's look a good match, in terms of space and comfort.

Someone in the trade is hopefully securing me:

'03' V70 D5 with 78k Manual, full leather with the Volvo RTI system. In black with cream LT. SE spec.

I've been doing a bit of research, cam belt life appears to be 96k and 10 years, so need to check that has been done.

Anything else?

Thanks in advance
tunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 17:03   #2
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

At that sort of age
front wishbone bushes
anti roll-bar links
Dim for any issues
top engine mount
that the sat-nav will read the disc.

I am sure some one will come up with more
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 17:08   #3
tunnie

Thanks, are anti-roll bar links easy to do? Done them on my Omega just two bolts!

Top engine mount, will that give movement in the engine at idle or can you see the mount?

Can sat nav laser be repaired?
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 17:56   #4
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

yes basically 2 bolts per anti roll-bar just make sure you clean the rust off the mounting points and do the new bolts up tight or they can come loose and start clunking when driving over ruff roads.
but if there is any clucking from the front and you are told its anti roll-bar links check for yourself as it could also be warn wishbone bushes.

If it still has the old style top engine mount you can see that the rubber has broken up if it has been replaced with the new type then the rubber is a square block that has some movement/play built in to it.
will try and get you some pictures showing the two types of mount and post them later.

I believe they can be replaced, some owners have had success with cleaning them too. but a good bartering point all the same.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 18:41   #5
tunnie

Many thanks
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 19:07   #6
Bernard333
Premier Member

I had three Omegos before my 2003 V70 D5 , really liked the 2.5TD and to be honest would happily have another but theres non about in a suitable condition anymore, over 117000 miles mine averaged 44mpg. My current problems are the coolant system and burst oil cooler and if it were not for me being prepared to spend the time to fix it myself it would be in the scrapyard due to these issues. Get underneath and have a look at the steel coolant pipe running across the engine at the back make sure its shiny and not corroded , also check the colour of the coolant should be clear pink or blue, walk away if its not.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 19:21   #7
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Here are the top engine mount pics.

This is the new type as you can see rubber is in square hole.

This is the old type, you can see how it breaks up.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 20:49   #8
owyn
Premier Member

The big ones are....

If it's manual, clutch/Dmf

If it's an auto.....the gearbox! They seem to get to 100k if not looked after

These are both pricey, 4 figures to sort.

The suspension and rubber bits are easy enough and not too pricey

Check for a blown intercooler, it will be bowed at the bottom of its on its way but 2-300 should sort that.

Shouldn't be a dpf on this vintage so nothing to worry about there.

Fueling issues are normally sorted with a new filter.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 21:33   #9
tunnie

Excellent. Thanks chaps, great info. Glad to hear no DPF, that was another question.

Its a manual, which I think suits older diesels better.

Omega forum has great technical knowledge, I went from oil changes to suspension changes and LPG installs. So great to see good technical base here too.

My contact is double checking paperwork as miles are low for year, so vetting it
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 17:52   #10
Brendan W
Premier Member

The clutch slave cylinder is another thing to watch for. No brake fluid under the bellhousing - it's one of those box off jobs to replace. As mentioned before front wishbone bushes could well be shot at that mileage and the inner tie rods worth a look as well.
I would expect the alarm siren battery to have died at 7+ years. Check that Fuse 38 bottom right of the box at the drivers end of the dash facing the door is still in place and you aren't getting an alarm service required message at startup. A new module is £180 odd.
Check out the cruise control as well. Clutch position sensors fail which is about £60 and twenty minutes but could be brake position sensor which is a lot more expensive.
Make sure the rear wiper works. The spindles seize - a strip and regrease usually does it but the odd one strips the 'not available separately' plastic gear wheel in the motor box.
Check the exhaust hangers fore and aft of the rear box. They rust out - I'd expect an 03 to be fairly advanced if not hanging on by fingernails. Check the locking wheel nuts and the key - they can be a royal pain when they fail.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote