Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remote key(s) seem a bit 'dodgy'

Views : 1758

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2014, 21:42   #1
Milty

Default Remote key(s) seem a bit 'dodgy'

XC60, D4, delivered in July.

Still very happy with it in general but over the last month or so, the remote key seems to be less responsive. I have to be almost in the car before it unlocks. The keyless entry has also become a bit hit and miss and sometimes won't open or lock by pulling the door handle / pushing the door button.

I suspect the batteries need changing in the key fobs but to me, it seems odd that both fobs seem to be the same (1 is used 5 days a week, the other usually only at weekends). 4 months also seems to be a short time for key fob battery life compared to previous cars I've had that have also had keyless entry.

I'm not a slave to fuel consumption but it seems to have dropped by about 3mpg in the last month or so. I've seen other posts like this suggesting winter fuel additives being the cause but again, I've never noticed this with previous cars.
Milty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 21:48   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milty View Post
XC60, D4, delivered in July.

Still very happy with it in general but over the last month or so, the remote key seems to be less responsive. I have to be almost in the car before it unlocks. The keyless entry has also become a bit hit and miss and sometimes won't open or lock by pulling the door handle / pushing the door button.

I suspect the batteries need changing in the key fobs but to me, it seems odd that both fobs seem to be the same (1 is used 5 days a week, the other usually only at weekends). 4 months also seems to be a short time for key fob battery life compared to previous cars I've had that have also had keyless entry.

I'm not a slave to fuel consumption but it seems to have dropped by about 3mpg in the last month or so. I've seen other posts like this suggesting winter fuel additives being the cause but again, I've never noticed this with previous cars.
when the fob batteries are low it sends a message to the dash to advise you .
Normal life is some years , .. Is the problem related to where you park ? Local radio interference perhaps ?
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 22:23   #3
Milty

Unless we've got new radio interference, I don't think so. Not working the same at the usual work and home locations.

Will mention it to the dealer when next nearby.
Milty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 09:27   #4
Loza

I had the same problem - also an XC60 delivered in July. Keyless stopped working, "remote" opening was anything but remote (had to be right next to the car). There is a box in the panel above the drivers head that had failed and coordinated all of the opening/shutting. Dealer replaced it and all was well. I guess they must have had a bad batch.
Loza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loza For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 10:52   #5
AngloScot
Master Member

I think have a similar problem with my remote keys. Car is booked-in early January to be fixed. I will update after.
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 22:38   #6
swishtony
Master Member

Exactly the same problem here, Sept 27th delivery. I was going to post this yesterday but totally forgot!

Same problem to a T, often locking the doors I have to push the buttons 2 or 3 times and the same locking with remote. I wonder if this has happened since the recall for the tailgate as that had something to do with the locking system? Mine had the recall done a few weeks ago, how about others on here?

Mine is having the 3 month inspection in a few weeks so will mention before I take it in for that.
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 23:15   #7
Voltan

I'm surprised to read that people are having trouble with the keyless entry. I had keyless entry on a Renault Laguna. It worked flawlessly throughout the three years I had it. It seems strange that a Premium brand like Volvo don't seem to have got it right compared with a lowly Renault! I only had to replace one battery in one of the fobs in its third year.
Old Dec 19th, 2014, 09:40   #8
nidO

FWIW, the keyless on my MY15 V60 has been perfect, both for locking and unlocking has never missed a beat - Maybe if you're all having problems with XC60's that does point to something specific with them such as your recent tailgate fix (no powered tailgate on the V60)
Old Dec 19th, 2014, 10:30   #9
swishtony
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidO View Post
FWIW, the keyless on my MY15 V60 has been perfect, both for locking and unlocking has never missed a beat - Maybe if you're all having problems with XC60's that does point to something specific with them such as your recent tailgate fix (no powered tailgate on the V60)
That's why I was asking if others have had the tailgate fix done. The keyless system has been flawless up until recently, strange that it would suddenly happen, along with others here on the forum at the same time.

Have tried it out a few more times and the remote issue is not so bad, the worst one is pressing the button to lock the car, I now have to press 2 or 3 times every time before it will lock.
Old Dec 19th, 2014, 11:42   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have developed (actually car rather than me) has developed a fault with a normal key as the RHR door says it is open all the time and as a result the car won't lock most of the time

Luckily in for 1st service next week