Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mixed feelings

Views : 1598

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2014, 08:00   #1
AlanPa

Default Mixed feelings

Hi All

Just about 700 miles into Volvo ownership now and I've noticed a really annoying rattle around the drivers door/dash area. Is this a known fault? There's also a constant high frequency buzz from somewhere over by the front passenger seat / seatbelt. Hard to pin down the locations but I'm really disappointed to have these issues so early into a new car. If anyone knows whether these are common issues and how to fix them I'd be grateful...the supplying dealer is nearly 120 miles away but it might yet come to that.

This aside I like the drive. The D4 engine is especially impressive...very refined and quick. Trying to look on the bright side and not let early issues taint the experience too much!

Cheers
AlanPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 08:14   #2
Daleman
Master Member

Default Soon Found Out

Any item left in either glove compartment seems to cause a rattle very easily and if the seat belt buckle is pointing the wrong way it vibrates annoyingly on the plastic door piller cover.Both worth an investigation.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 08:18   #3
AlanPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Any item left in either glove compartment seems to cause a rattle very easily and if the seat belt buckle is pointing the wrong way it vibrates annoyingly on the plastic door piller cover.Both worth an investigation.
Thank you for the suggestions! I've checked both of these (I've even tried with the seat belts all done up) and it's made no difference. The car is still empty of any loose objects - nothing at all in door pockets or glovebox.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 09:39   #4
sunshinetours

Check if you have any keys attached to fob - mine annoyingly jangle against dash sometimes (do current years still have key fob needed in hole on dash?)

Last edited by sunshinetours; Dec 17th, 2014 at 10:06.
sunshinetours is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshinetours For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 09:52   #5
AlanPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinetours View Post
Check if you have any keys attached to fob - mine annoyingly jangle against dash sometimes (no current years still have key fob needed in hole on dash?)
Yes, thanks for that suggestion....but it's not the answer. I've sure the rattle is from the drivers door/right hand side of the dash. I looked at removing the dash end cover but couldn't see an obvious way to do it so didn't pursue this further.

Old Dec 17th, 2014, 10:07   #6
sunshinetours

Unfortunately I wouldn't touch anything like that on a new car if trying to strip anything down

A little silicon spray maybe into area you think?
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 10:47   #7
andymcp
Premier Member

I have had something similar on a previous car from new. It turned out that the very high pitched buzz came from a loose surround on the rear view mirror, but prior to discovering that I had been searching everywhere - and I mean everywhere - around the front right of the dash. Apparently it was coming from a particular place in the mirror, then rebounding off the windscreen so sounded like it came from somewhere else. Drove me mad until one day I had finished fidgeting around trying to locate it, sat up straighter than usual and went to adjust the rear view, causing it to immediately stop. Felt like a right numpty, but very glad it was sorted.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 12:29   #8
Dchant

I had same issue, convinced the rattle/buzz was in the centre console, went out with the technician and it was the surround for city safety/wiper sensor behind the mirror. Fixed at service but has come back now ambient temperatures have dropped. Only notice if the radio is low so will wait until the next service.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 12:41   #9
Arianne
Premier Member

Like others, try the shroud around the housing of the rear-view mirror. My 2014 XC60 developed a noise from this and, because of earlier experience with my previous XC90, I tried this and it stopped. The shroud is made of a different plastic and so might expand / contract at a different rate when temperature changes. It's possible to ease down the shroud just a little but nobody notices it to look at.

Seatbelts - yes, agree with that.

Try driving along in a high gear so the engine labours and revs are very low since this will send a different resonance through the car - it may help you track the source more easily. And then also try at the other end although it's the lower revs that help identify this rattle, buzzing stuff better. Dealer's technicians do this.

Finally, take it to the dealer and definitely don't tinker with anything on a new car. They will have a better approach and since it's all under warranty they'll be happy to clock up the fee for Volvo. Sometimes these things take time and it's best to chuck it at the dealer when the noise is constantly there.

Don't despair - part of the issue is because the XC60 cabin is so quiet and insulated from external noise. Car makers call this 'draining the swamp'. As the 'water' (external noise) is reduced in the 'swamp' (cabin) you get to see all the 'shopping trollies' (rattles) that were in the 'swamp' all along! We have a 2008 Vauxhall Vectra - very few rattles because the engine & road tyre noise drowns them all out

Best wishes, glad you like the new D4 VEA engine. We now have 12k on the clock and we think the engine is a peach - you learn how to truly get the best out of it after a few thousand miles.

Arianne
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 12:49   #10
AlanPa

All good suggestions, thank! I noticed the buzz while the car was idling this morning. It kept on doing it throughout my 8 mile journey to work and then when I idled in the car park it disappeared! Maybe, as you say, a different resonance.

The door/dash rattle sounds like something loose. I'm not sure if it is the door catch itself or something like a cable inside the dash clashing with something. On a smooth road it does not happen. As soon as the surface bounces the car around (to even a small degree) it comes back.

Thanks again for the input. It is really disappointing to have this on a new car. I think it's dealer time...