Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gear Box codes and compatability

Views : 283

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2019, 16:33   #1
Ollybee

Red face Gear Box codes and compatability

Hi
Having issues with my gear box not pumping oil.
I've found another gear box from scrapyard.
BUT I've been made aware i need to make sure i get the right serial numbers to do a swap..

My XC90 is 2004 D5 semi Auto and Gear box code is 55-51SN 30681190. (October 2004 first registered)

What other gear boxes would be compatible if i can't source exact box?

Thanks for your help in advance
Ollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 17:18   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Any AW55-51SN that was fitted to a XC90 D5/diesel should be compatible - however you may need to swap the wiring loom (including speed and temperature sensors) and actuator position sensor over from your own gearbox as the wiring and connectors were changed around 2004. This is a relatively easy job but you do need to remove the valve body cover and then reseal it, takes around an hour.

The same gearbox from a XC70 or V70 AWD will physically fit but I'm not sure if the final drive will be the correct ratio - it might leave you with a (even more) sluggish XC90.

When swapping the box, take great care to load the torque converter correctly when re-installing, this process is documented in VIDA and the Haynes manual, failure to do this will instantly damage the box on startup.

Also a good idea to get as much of the old oil as possible out of the new gearbox and torque converter by draining at different angles.

When installed - do the TCM adaptations process after about 20 miles, but as a minimum clear the adaptations memory. Don't make any judgement about the new box until you have done that.

Whilst doing the swap - it would be wise to replace the crankcase core plug, crankshaft oil seal, gearbox input seal and driveshaft seals at the same time. Also a good time to assess the vacuum mounts and front wishbones.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 28th, 2019 at 17:22.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2019, 13:21   #3
Ollybee

Thanks Tannaton
You seem very knowledgeable.

My original box, had an oil leak between box and engine so took it in for repair.
The mechanic changed seal and put gear box back in but oil still leaked.
So he tried again and this time fixed the leak... however on a 3rd test drive the car lost all drive...

checked box and seemed no oil was being pumped so was put down to oil pump in gbox...

I've been looking for a gearbox ever since... I found one yesterday and took it to Mechanic this morning but unfortunately the drive splines where worn away. So back on the hunt.
Ollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 17:10   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollybee View Post
Thanks Tannaton
You seem very knowledgeable.

My original box, had an oil leak between box and engine so took it in for repair.
The mechanic changed seal and put gear box back in but oil still leaked.
So he tried again and this time fixed the leak... however on a 3rd test drive the car lost all drive...

checked box and seemed no oil was being pumped so was put down to oil pump in gbox...

I've been looking for a gearbox ever since... I found one yesterday and took it to Mechanic this morning but unfortunately the drive splines where worn away. So back on the hunt.
No oil being pumped is one of the problems that you get if the torque converter is not installed correctly. There are a number of splined drives to engage, hence you have to spin the torque converter whilst pushing it into the gearbox - you will feel two clunks and see it drop in over 5-10 revolutions. When correctly installed the gap between the faces of the TC mounting flange and the bell housing flange should be 13mm. The last splines to engage are the oil pump drive...

You cannot remove and refit the box without removing the torque converter from the drive plate as it's impossible to re-install it correctly otherwise.

Hence - based on the limited information and in the absence of a full explanation - I suspect your bigger problem may be your mechanic...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 29th, 2019 at 17:12.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote