Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 SE Sport 2.0D

Views : 3404

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 20:26   #1
maersk

Hi guys (and guyesses) Giving serious thought to purchasing one of the above. Can owners comment on real world fuel consumption and teething problems?
Currently with Audi. Are Volvo stealers as bad in general?

Tested a C30 and was very impressed apart from practicality which is poor for a FOUR SEAT CAR. Quality appears to be first rate.

Any one got Calcite cream leather? Is it hard to keep clean?
Is thee dash brown with cream leather? I can't believe that it is but the bumf suggets that is the case.

Sorry for all the questions but the stealer is a long way away.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 21:02   #2
maersk

Does the SE Sport have the same steering wheel as the C30 sport?
If you have a new(sh) V50 can you post a pickie?

Thanks

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 21:05   #3
treidlia

My response based upon 12 mo old 32k km v50 2.0D SE.

Real World Fuel Consumption based upon accurate fuel log since new
43mpg 6.6l/100km

Teething problems.
EGR valve, very annoying, not sure if solved for MY07 models. Do ask.
Also unsolved engine vibration at tickover and fluctuating power delivery a low rev/low load (doesn't seem to be common problem but I have it)
No problems at full 'throttle'.

Some annoying characteristics.
Whine from fuel pump audible at tickover/overrun.
Second gear hard to select.
Only internal indicator of front-fog-light on is on the switch and hence not visible behind steering wheel.
Glove box awfully bad design.
Rear legroom barely acceptable (as in C30).

Volvo dealers, in general, my opinion in my country, bad.

I avoided calcite cream on the basis of keeping clean.
Got Quartz beige, in hindsight I would go for calcite cream.
Quartz beige is just like dirty grey, and not dirt resistant.
In my country, SE spec gives choice of colour of leather, and wood/aluminium dash.
However dealers usually order wood with beige/cream, and aluminium with black.grey.
Aluminium with cream is attainable but you'll wait.
My last V40 had aluminium trim with beige (closer to tan) leather, and looked good to me.
However, do realise that there's very little 'dashboard' there.

I'm happy enough with build quality.
Have performed major dash/interior surgery with phonekit installation, and impressed by construction.

Feel free to ask any specifics.
treidlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 17:30   #4
MarkE
Evenin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by maersk View Post
Does the SE Sport have the same steering wheel as the C30 sport?
If you have a new(sh) V50 can you post a pickie?

Thanks

If you mean the chunky one with the aluminium part set into the top, no. You get to pay them some more money for that.

Worth it IMHO.
revotechnik SEAT Leon Cupra R...Gone
S40 1.9D (115) Sport...Gone
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 15:01   #5
maersk

Hmmmmmm.
Still not decided and A4 Avant ( )also beckons BUT you appear to get so much more for your buck from the Ovlov.

The chunky wheel is £250 fitted - gulp!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:59   #6
Marmoset

Been very happy with mine.

Getting about 43mpg on avg and close to 46mpg on the really, really long runs. Seems to be getting better as the car gets older - done 42k now and it still feels as though it's running in!

Dealers are very helpful IME, only problem there is the service costs - I'll be doing my own once the warranty expires.

Car quality is pretty high. I had an issue with a leaking tailgate washer and a creaking drivers seat, both of which were solved under warranty.

Aftre looking around when buying I thought that the Volvo offered much more for the money and there's the bonus of still driving around insomething different from the norm.

Rich
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 22:27   #7
webbie

I've had my SE Sport since September 06 and it was brand new.

Fuel economy is crap compared to oyher cars although it is getting better as the car gets more miles on it.

It's now at 7000 mile and I can get 45mpg from it which is getting acceptable.

Build quality is excellant, car looks good in titanium.

I have the dark leather which is nice with the aluminium trim.

Only real problems I have had have been creaking seat (which I cured with WD40), annoying indicator lamp sometimes dont flash when unlocking/locking the car (hopefully gets sorted when car next at dealer), juddering wiper blade (dealer replaced at first inspoection - 3000 miles) and front fog lamp that steamed up (dealer drilled ahole in it)

I cant really comment on dealers as you get good and bad.

I'm not looking forward to the first service cost.

all in all I like the car. I was offered a good deal on it when trading in my V40 2.0T petrol. I did shop around but not with other makes (BMW,Audi).

I've since driven a BMW 320D which was faster but was bland in comparison.

The SE Sport V50 is well stacked up with all the toys and gadgets.

good luck

Webbie
webbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 09:17   #8
shandy

I wish i had done the same thing and asked before i bought my V50 2.0D Sport SE.
Ive had nothing but problems with my car from starting to not locking.
The dealer was useless and could'nt diagnose a cold with out the aid of a compter and a fault code.
Volvo customer relations department just leave it to the dealer to sort out.
I find its a case of, they have got the money from me and they are not interested.
I wrote to volvo and they have not replied.
Ive now written to the finance company under the supply of goods act.
The purchase of my car was the biggest mistake ive ever made and I would not wish this on my worst enemy.
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:12   #9
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbie View Post
Build quality is excellant, car looks good in titanium.
webbie, is your car titanium colour? Looks close to barentz blue. Either way, it looks nice.

One point, I find on the SE Sport, the 18" wheels are hard NOT to kerb. Must be I am bad at it but virtually all four rims seem to have been scratched. The pirelli tyre doesn't have a protective rib thats large enough which doesn't help the sutiation. Wonder if any other tyre manufacturer is better?

eric
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 15:20   #10
maersk

Well, having not made up my mind and having looked through the forum I am slowly going off the idea of buying a Volvo despite the attraction of a lot of kit for not much money.
There appeaar to be a lot of faults on members car and the dealers appear incompetent in dealing with them, especially the poor guy with the blown head gasket.
Now, in the past I have needed a new engine in a BMW - no problem sir, please take this upgraded car and call back next week - and a gearbox in an Audi -take this upgraded car sir and call back next week. I accept that there will be problems like this with mass produced items. There will be some duff ones. However, the way you are treated when the duffer appears makes alll the difference. 'We have fixed your car and filled the tank, oh and the next service is on us'. I don't seem to be hearing this here. It is a worry.
Looks like i'm back into the arms of the teutonic hordes.

Last edited by maersk; Jan 30th, 2007 at 15:26. Reason: Grammar/spelling