Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 WOOX sub upgrade

Views : 1099

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2019, 09:27   #1
Viiking

Default V40 WOOX sub upgrade

Hello everyone!

Sorry for posting another subwoofer thread here, but I searched through all the excisting ones without getting an exact answer for my question.

So I am running a HU-655 head unit in my 2001 V40 and recently decided to upgrade my factory subwoofer (passive Philips one) to a wOOx sub which has the built-in amplifier.

Have everything installed now but I still have a question about the wiring. Specifically on where exactly can i tap into the excisting wiring loom to get power to the amp?

There are 3 wires coming from the left connector on the sub - black, red and yellow/red. Black is ground which I connected to the body of the car near the sub. Red is constant 12V I think? and red/yellow is ACC+.

I have attached the wiring diagram as well, but I don't feel too confident with wiring myself and don't want to cause any damage by wiring it incorrectly.

So if anybody can help me by saying where can I tap the red and red/yellow wires into I'd be very grateful!

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (269.1 KB, 96 views)
Viiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 13:27   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The diagram clearly shows

Device 16/18 (Subwoofer)
Pin 21 Y+R is permanent 12V
Pin 22 R is switched 12V
Pin 23 SB is ground
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 18:03   #3
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Personally I wouldn't be all that trusting running an upgraded sub and amp off the cars standard wiring, but then again of the wattage of the new stuff isn't that much higher than the standard kit then you may be ok.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 19:36   #4
Viiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Personally I wouldn't be all that trusting running an upgraded sub and amp off the cars standard wiring, but then again of the wattage of the new stuff isn't that much higher than the standard kit then you may be ok.
The sub that I fitted is a standard Volvo factory unit that came in some V40s, I guess its fine running it off the standard wiring then?

I wonder if i could tap into the wiring loom somewhere in the boot area, without having to run the wires all the way from the head unit itself or straight from the battery? Maybe somebody has done this upgrade and can tell where they took the permanent 12V and switched 12V for the amp.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 23:07   #5
gatos
Premier Member

See if there is a power connector under the rear passengers kickplate. That is the one for giving power to the Amp on both the S40 and V40. It is a grey connector with 3 wires on it. It's not on all cars, so you may or may not have it preinstalled

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 12:50   #6
Viiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
See if there is a power connector under the rear passengers kickplate. That is the one for giving power to the Amp on both the S40 and V40. It is a grey connector with 3 wires on it. It's not on all cars, so you may or may not have it preinstalled
Thank you for the suggestion, appreciate it!
Finally got time to check and I think that I dont have that connector unfortunately, did check both sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3531-min.jpg (288.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3532-min.jpg (265.8 KB, 26 views)