Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Who to use to approve my Conversion

Views : 1513

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 11:26   #1
cyberstretch

Default Who to use to approve my Conversion

Hi all

I have been unavailable for the last couple of weeks and therefore been unable to ask some questions on a certain "closed" thread.

We bought an XC90 in May which had already been converted to LPG by classicswede and i left my partner to insure it (a moment of madness on my part)

I have found out this morning that she neglected to mention it was LPG !

The insurance company have said that the installer is not on the list of approved installers and are asking for a certificate.

I am not here to fuel the recent issues, I just need confirmation as to whether i would have to take the car to an approved installer in order to get the relevant checks and certificate for the insurance company, and if so is anyone aware of how much this is going to cost me or is dependant on any possible remedial work.

Thank you all very kindly.
cyberstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 11:49   #2
D5driver
No Spam here

You could email Dai and ask him

One things for sure. No matter how bad something may be, it will have been much much worse and with lots more drama for the spammer
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 11:59   #3
cyberstretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5driver View Post
You could email Dai and ask him
Was thinking he might have enough on his plate regarding certification, and I know there are some people on here that know all about the rules and regs side of it.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 12:00   #4
940_Turbo

Dai isn't a UKLPG member, hence your car won't be on the data base

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=159399
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=159255

You can email autogas@uklpg.org they should be able to tell you who is a local registered installer. They can inspect the car and see whether it conforms and get the car put on the register.

You can check whether it is registered on the following link. http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 12:02   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberstretch View Post
Hi all

I have been unavailable for the last couple of weeks and therefore been unable to ask some questions on a certain "closed" thread.

We bought an XC90 in May which had already been converted to LPG by classicswede and i left my partner to insure it (a moment of madness on my part)

I have found out this morning that she neglected to mention it was LPG !

The insurance company have said that the installer is not on the list of approved installers and are asking for a certificate.

I am not here to fuel the recent issues, I just need confirmation as to whether i would have to take the car to an approved installer in order to get the relevant checks and certificate for the insurance company, and if so is anyone aware of how much this is going to cost me or is dependant on any possible remedial work.

Thank you all very kindly.
It's up to your insurance company regarding what they will accept as proof that it has been installed correctly. You would need to ask your insurance company if they would accept Dai's certificate that it has been installed as per LPGA Code of Practice 11, if they won't you have two choices; change insurance company with one that will accept the cert or get a UKLPG certified installer to check it over and add your car to their register.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 21:08   #6
mad matt

you can email dai he will be more than happy to help you just ask him he more than likey know some one who can help you to get it checked and if all is well get it on the data base
mad matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mad matt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 08:09   #7
mikealder
VOC Member

Go to the UKLPG web site by clicking Here and simply enter your postcode, this will show up the nearest registered installer.

You arrange for the car to be checked over by them (at a price which typically is around £100), anything they don't like will either cost extra to put right or you don't get your certificate.

IMHO people who install LPG systems to vehicles should be required by law to be registered, the current situation where any "fly-by-night" can fit such a system to a car is allowing sub-standard and sometimes dangerous installations on to the public highway.

The regulation of this industry is nothing short of a joke, guidelines for installation that don't correspond to BS EN specifications, you can't have a gas appliance connected at home without employing a gas safe registered engineer (for all the right reasons) but you can employ anyone to add a potential bomb to your car - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 16:26   #8
cyberstretch

So took the XC90 to my local UKLPG installer today for the inspection in order to get the car registered on the UKLPG database.

The Lpg kit was checked over thoroughly and passed with flying colours and the certificate issued.

Also thanks to Dai who called me to make sure everything went ok with the inspection.

Now to ring the Insurance company - the highlight of my day !!

Last edited by cyberstretch; Sep 7th, 2012 at 16:38.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cyberstretch For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 01:15   #9
D5driver
No Spam here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberstretch View Post
So took the XC90 to my local UKLPG installer today for the inspection in order to get the car registered on the UKLPG database.

The Lpg kit was checked over thoroughly and passed with flying colours and the certificate issued.

Also thanks to Dai who called me to make sure everything went ok with the inspection.

Now to ring the Insurance company - the highlight of my day !!
Nice one. Dai is doing my conversion
I'm looking forward to the cheap running costs

One things for sure. No matter how bad something may be, it will have been much much worse and with lots more drama for the spammer
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D5driver For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 10:36   #10
cyberstretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5driver View Post
Nice one. Dai is doing my conversion
I'm looking forward to the cheap running costs
I have an XC90 3.2 and was really sure that i would be suffering with the fuel consumption even with the LPG conversion fitted, but i am extremely happy especially as i moved from a D5 S60 which was very good on the old derv.

I have missed the smoothness and quietness of a petrol engine and can also rest not having to worry about egr's and timing belts on my XC. But i do miss the turbodiesel pick up

Make sure you check with your insurance company about the conversion and arrange to get the certificate if needed.