Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1990 740 GL Estate B200F

Views : 1192

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 00:08   #1
deebel

Front suspension is very "clunky" especialy at low speed (Perhaps I dont hear it at high speed). In last 12 months have replaced shocks, trackrod ends, wheel bearings and drop links.

There is a bit of play at 9 to 3 but not at 12 to 6 when wheel is jacked up. Also the nut which holds the shock in the tube worked free (now tight)

Any thoughts where to go now?

deebel
Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:56   #2
Dave M

Ermmmm, Yep! I have a 760GLE with the same problem, I felt as it was supposed to be the top of the range car at one time it should be a lot smoother. Like you I did some of the repairs listed with no success, that is until a good friend of mine in VOLVO pointed me in the right direction.

If you look on the Anti Roll bar where it goes through the Track control arm, You will see that it is housed in Rubber bushings, These have been reinforced and superseded with new bushings (make sure you get the new ones) and replace them. Moving on, have a look at the bush that is locatedjust under the Footwells (It should be small, barrel like Bush) Again these were Superseded with new reinforced "Beer Can" Bushes Replace them. The Arm needs to be removed and the bush pressed out, once out clean up and replace with the new bush and all should return to normal. :-)

Failing all that Did You replace the Strut top mounts or not? I'm told that they very rarely wear, In fact in my friends 14 years of working in Volvo, He's never had to sell either side!!!! They Cost approx £54 if needed.

Regards
Dave M
Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:31   #3
phil_uk

try this

http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/s...ion_bible.html

apparently your suspension can clunk even when the bushes are ok, due to the springs rotating against their end-caps. If you get a mate to turn the steering wheel while you observe the springs you'll see it happen.

Phil

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 19:38   #4
deebel

Dave

I got the current bushes with the new control arm links.. these are the two pieces which are compressed by cups over the Anti Roll Bar end? Part from Europarts I recall. Are the modified bushes only genuine parts?

Had considered the bushes at the back of the arm on the underside but discounted these as being probably ok. thinking about it though they probably do have a fair amount of pounding. Mileage is 154K and they are original so I'll have a go. think I saw an article on Brickboard dealing with these so i will have a look again. In a scale of 1 to 10 how easy are they to extract? does the arm need to come off to press out the bushes or is it likely that they have disintegrated?

No I didn't replace the top mounts - just cleaned them up and painted the metal with red oxide primer. They looked pretty sound.

Thanks for your helpful advice

Dave B (deebel)
Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:38   #5
Dave M

The Reinforced Bushes that you ask about are genuine parts only and cost around £8 each. They surround the anti rollbar as it goes through the Track Control Arm.

The Beer Can Bushes need the arm removed and a hydraulic press applied to remove the old ones from the arm :-( Then the new ones need to be pressed into place. The new ones should be surrounded in an all metal casing.

Good Luck:-)

Regards
Dave M