Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CD multi-changer

Views : 1363

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:26   #1
Duncan

I've just bought a 1997 V90 estate 204bhp Lux Ed... an absolutely stunning car and I am thrilled with it. It has the factory fitted CD player and a button which indicates a CD multi-changer but no changer is fitted. In the compartment beneath the tool box there are two wires that I'm guessing could be for the changer. One is a round 8-pin plug and the other is a small flat black plug with a black and red wire. I've never had a CD changer before.. could these wires be for it?

Duncan

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 22:44   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: CD multi-changer

They sure are, the other end of the 8-pin should be up behind the dash probably plugged into the radio head unit or hung up pretty near.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2002, 03:11   #3
Duncan

Excellent news. Thanks for the prompt reply.

One more thing.. do you think these sound like standard connections or specific to Volvo? What I'm asking, therefore, is do I have to find a Volvo cd changer or do you think I could go to a car hi-fi shop and buy any make I wanted?

Thanks again,

Duncan

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 20:51   #4
imun

Unfortunately (as far as im aware) you cannot just plug any auto changer into your V90 and as youll probably find that a Volvo one will be horendously expensive!!!! Id recommend that you go for an Alpine changer and you can buy a black box that will make the unit work with the Volvo head unit. If you try Autoleads on www.autoleads.co.uk they are a company that produce wiring looms and wiring kits to make certain units work where they shouldnt!!!!!
they also manufacture such things as factory amplifier bypass kits so if you decide to fit a different head unit to your car you can do it with ease!!!!
Hope this helps (im about to have the same problem when I pick up my new 95 960 GLE!!!!!!)
Old Aug 18th, 2002, 08:33   #5
Duncan

Thanks guys for the great advice.. I'll look it and when I've sorted it out I'll post my solution in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks,

Duncan

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 14:57   #6
johndglynn

Default RE: CD multi-changer

You can buy the whole kit - changer and adapter - from electronics city in Esseex very cheap (about £200), though I think Jamie (also on bulletin board) found the kit even cheaper somewhere else.

That lead you have is worth money though, don't chuck it out! There is also the option of just trucking down to your local hifi dealer and seeing what they might have in as second-hand stock that would fit the leads - no alpine changer has a separate power supply which is what your leads sound like having...have you got a standard Volvo head unit in the dash?

Cheers
JG
johndglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2002, 15:10   #7
Duncan

>sound like having...have you got a standard Volvo head unit
>in the dash?
>

Yes.. it is presumably the factory fitted head unit and it has a button for 'Chgr' which when pressed it gives the display message 'No Chgr fitted', or something like that.

My ideal solution would be to simply plug something into/onto the leads that I have. I'd rather not pull the car apart to change the leads etc..

I'll follow up on your suggestion.

Thanks,

Duncan