Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Braking

Views : 460

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2018, 14:13   #1
Clint68

Default V50 Braking

Hi. Just replaced front pads with a brand called Apec. Chose these as I had previously fitted them just over 2 years ago and got an advisory for pads on last months M.O.T
Mysteriously I now have a wheel wobble on the front nearside, pads have been removed and they don’t seem to be bedding in very good although braking is perfect. The discs have very big lips on the edges and I wouldn’t be surprised if they are still the original discs on my 11 year old V50. I’m wondering now if the M.O.T should of advised on discs and not pads as the 2 year old pads were only half worn.

I am now thinking on changing the discs if anyone can advise on decent discs. I was thinking of going to my Volvo dealer but Volvo don’t make their own discs or pads and I would only be overcharged paying Volvo prices for a similar brand. I am also going to get a price on Apec discs as I have been impressed with the pads so far.

Any help or ideas of what could be causing the wobble or what brand of discs I could buy would be greatly appreciated.
Clint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 14:33   #2
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yes, the vibration you are feeling will be the lips of the disc. Usually its 2 sets of pads to 1 disc then all change.
Ive been impressed by Apec discs in the past, nicely made and vastly bettee than the awfully shoddy mintex discs they replaced.
If you arent in a rush, have a look in misterauto.co.uk, they have some great prices on good stuff like Ferodo, TRW, Textar, ATE, just it may take a week to arrive as its from abroad.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 08:34   #3
Clint68

Default V50 discs

Hi Andy,
I shall have a look at that site. I was looking at Mintex, EBC and a couple of other brands. I shall stay clear of Mintex then. A friend of mine said buy my parts for a Ford Focus as there the same parts and probably get them cheaper.
Thanks
Clint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 09:13   #4
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Its quite likely the parts are the same yeah, though if buying aftermarket the part number will be the same thus the parts cost will be singular to both vehicles anyway.
Out of Apec, Mintex, EBC, Id choose Apec first, EBC second, and would only buy mintex if I was in a desperate situation (I dunno, lets say a brake pad fell apart leaving me with no brakes, on a sunday, the only motor factor open for miles around only had mintex, and the car had to be used the next day without option) though Id rather chance mintex than real cheapo budget crap.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 17:59   #5
Ghost83
V50 2.0D 2009 R-Design

I’d go for apex as well.
(And it’s a perfect opportunity to get bigger brakes maybe?)
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286968
XC90- sold | XC70-sold | C30- sold | V70- sold
Ghost83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 00:18   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Depending on your brake disc sizes (didnt notice what engine you have) you may have more or less options, but OEM discs are made by ATE and you can get those less than half the price of the same ATE-made in Volvo box. Everyone has preferences so its hard to truly recommend something, I personally wouldnt touch Textar or Ferodo discs, nor EBC pads, when choosing my setup I only considered ATE vs Brembo, but its really hard to justify it without scientific tests. So go for whatever has best price2quality ratio as long as its a reputable brand. (i.e. NOT mintex :P )
ps - check amazon.co.uk, recently seen ATE set there for HALF price of misterauto's. But it changes quickly...