Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ideas and comments please.

Views : 381

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2017, 20:29   #1
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Default Ideas and comments please.

Hello.
A month ago i bought a 198000 miles 2003 XC d5 awd. The previous owner, said that she needed a body valve, because the gearbox slips but it could be driven on manual mode. I bought it, and drove it home. All went well, switching between Auto and Manual, the only thing i noticed was a vibration on a climb at 2000 rpm, or on a hard acceleration.
Then i started to read and watch videos about body valves and geartronic and all around my new car. And many talk about changing the oil of the gearbox. SO i bought Mannol jws3309 10 litres and castrol magnatec. The engine oil was very VERY burned. The gearbox oil was dark brown and it smell burned.
Engine oil changed and made a big difference. the gearbox oil i changed it, using the sump method, because i read it was the best way to do it. but i run out of oil before red oil came from the sum. So i bought more.
Wile waiting i had the engine washed, it was very VERY dirty. On the way home after a few miles it went on limp mode. i stopped the car turn it off and on again, and it run well. a few miles later ...again.....days passed and every 3 or 4 miles ....limp mode.
The oil arrived, and then i changed it until transparent red oil came out. this was 10 days ago. Now runs in auto and manual and doesn't go into limp mode anymore. it runs good ....but maybe because i never had one of this....feels like the gear box has 2 gears on each gear, its the only way i can describe. The engine runs good , no smoke perfect. the gear box also but clumsy i guess.
I also cleaned the egr valve, i think now the consumption increased....maybe, around the town she does 40 mpg.....from what i read its not bad.....
I also bought all the engine mounts, disk brakes and pads. And also after read i also bought the volvo vida dice, it will arrive next week.

This is the story.....now my questions...

Is this behavior ...normal?

The gearbox oil change made a big difference, any thing else i should do?

With all this changes, any thing else you think i should check or do?

With volvo vida, what to reset ? is there any thing else i should check or reset? what is your opinion?

Where can i find good videos or instructions on volvo vida?
Updates? Should they be done?

Please all thoughts and opinions, Im still researching, but i would like please all opinions

Many Thanks
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 06:04   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

With VIDA you can read and clear all error codes, and for a car of this vintage with that many miles VIDA will be absolutely invaluable to you.
You also have full repair manual, parts list, and functional and technical description of everything in the car.

Instructions on how to use VIDA can be found as PDF from Volvo on the internet (just google) and some videos exist on YouTube as well.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote