Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Front tyre wear

Views : 2699

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2018, 17:04   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripstandem View Post
I have kept tyres well inflated yet still have excessive wear on inside edge of front tyres.
My XC60 is 2015 on 42k miles
Had all wheel alignment done couple of months ago, there was some dissalignment but nothing significant, all aligned now will see how things go over next 12 months.
At best part of 30k from a pair of tyres I won't throw any more money at the problem
Not sure what that means but in my experience there a big difference in tyre wear between 36 psi and 39 psi as to virtually stop inner edge wear on the S40/V50/C70 and the S60/V70/S80 / XC60 XC90 ranges.. If you are happy with the ride it is all bonus , longer tyre life , more even tyre wear , better wet grip , better fuel consumption , more precise steering . less power steering pump wear .. yes you would be surprised the incredible effort it takes to steer a volvo with 25 psi in the tyres ..
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 19:23   #12
ripstandem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Not sure what that means but in my experience there a big difference in tyre wear between 36 psi and 39 psi as to virtually stop inner edge wear on the S40/V50/C70 and the S60/V70/S80 / XC60 XC90 ranges.. If you are happy with the ride it is all bonus , longer tyre life , more even tyre wear , better wet grip , better fuel consumption , more precise steering . less power steering pump wear .. yes you would be surprised the incredible effort it takes to steer a volvo with 25 psi in the tyres ..
36 psi as per manual, should be 35 psi but my pressure gauge only displays even numbers.
Have Volvo got it wrong with regards to tyre pressures?
ripstandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 19:29   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
36 psi as per manual, should be 35 psi but my pressure gauge only displays even numbers.
Have Volvo got it wrong with regards to tyre pressures?
Volvo have had it wrong for as long as I can remember , try steering a 140 or a 340 with 28 psi tyre pressures :-) currently running a 340 at 36 psi no problems which is what I set them to 40 years ago . Any sports tyre with a lower profile than 50% should be set to 38 psi minimum otherwise you will bend a rim if you hit a pothole , the tyre will squish right down until the edge of the rim hits the folded tyre wall then there is nothing else to give except the rim .
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 19:56   #14
ripstandem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Volvo have had it wrong for as long as I can remember , try steering a 140 or a 340 with 28 psi tyre pressures :-) currently running a 340 at 36 psi no problems which is what I set them to 40 years ago . Any sports tyre with a lower profile than 50% should be set to 38 psi minimum otherwise you will bend a rim if you hit a pothole , the tyre will squish right down until the edge of the rim hits the folded tyre wall then there is nothing else to give except the rim .
I think I will stick to Volvo specifications.
Very interesting thoughts though.
40 years years is very impressive tyre lifespspan, what make are they?
ripstandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 21:12   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I think I will stick to Volvo specifications.
Very interesting thoughts though.
40 years years is very impressive tyre lifespspan, what make are they?
I meant when I was looking after 340's 40 years ago , 38 psi are volvo specifications its called ECO settings now it will say on a label on the door post ... keep a tread depth gauge handy and monitor the edge depths and centre depths of your tyres regularly . ...
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 22:43   #16
Roland_F

The other possibility no-one has mentioned is straddling speed cushions, particularly worn ones. If you go over many of these, you can easily wear the inner part of the tread and sidewall without being aware of it.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 23:59   #17
Rex65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_F View Post
The other possibility no-one has mentioned is straddling speed cushions, particularly worn ones. If you go over many of these, you can easily wear the inner part of the tread and sidewall without being aware of it.
I personally think that's an urban myth - you'd have to drive over them constantly, mile after mile, to have any significant effect.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 10:06   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex65 View Post
I personally think that's an urban myth - you'd have to drive over them constantly, mile after mile, to have any significant effect.
very very true …
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:20   #19
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Wear on the inner edges of both front tyres is almost certainly excessive toe-out.

In contrast, incorrect tyre pressure causes disproportionate wear to the centre of the tread when too high, or to both outside edges of the affected tyre when too low.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:25   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Wear on the inner edges of both front tyres is almost certainly excessive toe-out.

In contrast, incorrect tyre pressure causes disproportionate wear to the centre of the tread when too high, or to both outside edges of the affected tyre when too low.
conventionally yes, but with the negative camber now on the more modern volvos the inner edges wear with low tyre pressures .. I have seen it countless times when the geometry is within specifications .