Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Map download updates

Views : 7224

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2017, 16:16   #21
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Use your phone, tethered to Sensus through wifi, to download through the mobile network. Its not a big file but it does take maybe 15 minutes plus the same again to install. Its far and away easier and quicker than downloading to an USB stick
I used the data card in the car to download the NW Europe map as it was not a big flie and as you say downloaded pretty quickly and installed as I drove and paused when stopped and just carried on when started again. Very easy and I am so glad I got the 3 mobile 12gb card and put it in the modem in the car. Really easy to update any of the Apps.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 17:43   #22
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhunt View Post
Thanks. I tried connecting my Iphone that way ( not getting the house Wi-Fi ) and the Downloads App identifies that a new map is available but when I go in to the maps section is says for that msp "Update too big : visit support.volvocars.com".
It would seem that you were trying to download all the maps rather than Western Europe, which only comprises of the UK, Ireland and Iceland. Both [or is it three now] updates I've done have been smaller than 200mb in size.
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 20:54   #23
carlhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
It would seem that you were trying to download all the maps rather than Western Europe, which only comprises of the UK, Ireland and Iceland. Both [or is it three now] updates I've done have been smaller than 200mb in size.
I've no idea what is wrong. I have tried several usb sticks now ( the port will recognise a stick with music ) but not a map ( tried the verification now ).

Thanks for the advice.

Off to the dealer next week....
carlhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 22:26   #24
neon
Premier Member

I have just done the full update and went ok with no issues.

Do you start the car engine and let everything load in Sensus before putting the stick in.
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 22:58   #25
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhunt View Post
I've no idea what is wrong. I have tried several usb sticks now ( the port will recognise a stick with music ) but not a map ( tried the verification now ).

Thanks for the advice.

Off to the dealer next week....
I don't get it. Why don't you just use the mobile phone or the car's data sim to update or download the region specific map rather than play around with a massive and unnecessary wifi download copied to a USB stick and then further copied to the car?

I must be missing something here?
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 08:27   #26
ISW001

Default Map update

I'm having the same problems with updating maps
I connect my iphone by Bluetooth or cable turn on tethering and senses pops up the new software message regarding 1 map update
It shows my home region as Nort West Europe but the install button is greyed out and it says the update is to big and to go to Volvo support to download it
I have tried this and verified the download to a new sandisk 64gb ntfs USB key but senses does not recognise it.
I did notice that the folder it downloads from Volvo is compressed
Do you have to extract the files before trying to install
There's nothing on Volvo website about doing that.
I also see it says from November 15 you have to visit dealer for them to update anything the first time
Only bought the ex demo T8 this month and dealer said all updates had been done and looking at photos on here I do appear to have the latest edition of sensus
Any ideas
ISW001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 08:56   #27
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISW001 View Post
I connect my iphone by Bluetooth or cable turn on tethering and senses pops up the new software message regarding 1 map update
It shows my home region as Nort West Europe but the install button is greyed out and it says the update is to big and to go to Volvo support to download it
I have tried this and verified the download to a new sandisk 64gb ntfs USB key but senses does not recognise it.
I also see it says from November 15 you have to visit dealer for them to update anything the first time
Only bought the ex demo T8 this month and dealer said all updates had been done and looking at photos on here I do appear to have the latest edition of sensus
Any ideas
Ask the dealer about this. It is above my pay grade. This is the kind of thing that the dealer's service department is there for.
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 09:43   #28
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISW001 View Post
Any ideas
Quacker, you are sacked.

When I had mine new direct from factory the dealer told me also everything was up to date. It turned out the maps were 6 months out of date. All the other software updates are separate to the map updates.
You do not need to extract the file. Just download directly onto the EMPTY stick and then do a check to verify using the Volvo app you downloaded with.

Last edited by neon; Jul 21st, 2017 at 09:47.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neon For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 10:14   #29
Lexman8
Premier Member

Yep, the maps on both my cars were out of date when I took delivery of them.

In fairness, I can see why the dealers would be reluctant to update them considering how long it takes to install and having to constantly keep the car awake during the process.
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 10:43   #30
uro1

Either I lucked out or my dealer is better. My maps were up to date on delivery but the new OTA update from last week went without problems for two regions. (Germany and Central Europe)