Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Colours - contentious issue of the day

Views : 4315

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2018, 16:51   #41
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
What’s your problem, Volvo?!
They've decided the only customers who matter are the ones buying BMW, VW, Audi, etc. The traditional customers seem to remain unconsidered.

Why do they put themselves into a hot ring of chasing the same 10% as everyone else, completely ignoring the other 90%.

This is happening all over for a couple of decades now. I used to buy Holsten Pils, always. Then they rebranded, changed the recipe too, to attract a new customer base. I had to drink something else. Way to go.

Marketeering is a pseudo-science I will never truly understand. I mean, did I really buy that patio set on the way to the milk in the supermarket? Did I f***.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 18:05   #42
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Marketeering is a pseudo-science I will never truly understand. I mean, did I really buy that patio set on the way to the milk in the supermarket? Did I f***.
But you just might have done - for all they knew - nothing ventured, nothing gained, seems to be the thinking.
Which is what makes Volvo’s option restrictions all the more baffling - as much effort apparently put into reducing options, and therefore selling opportunities, as others put into creating sales possibilities.
As you say, a pseudo-science - for which somebody, somewhere is being paid a damn sight more than I’ve ever earned.
Has anybody on this forum (or in this club) ever been asked their opinion by Volvo’s ‘market research team’? Or offered them the benefit of their wisdom and felt they were listened to...?
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 20:14   #43
encroute

When I started to look at a new XC60 , I thought the Mussel Blue or the Denim blue, but my wife didn't like them, too washed out.

What she really liked was the XC90 Bursting Blue - a deeper version of our V50 Blue (2011). But of course that's not available for the XC60....

So we went for Pine Grey - and I've only seen 1 on the road so far (and that was an XC90). Roll on September....
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 11:07   #44
pagan8c
Master Member

I am getting my XC90 Inscription in Pine Grey in September as well (fingers crossed). I saw the new V60 in this colour and it looks good.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 15:36   #45
AB-UK
Premier Member

Since starting this thread I can't help noticing colours when I walk through large carparks.
I'm conscious of which cars attract my eye first, and how I tend to ignore the greys and black coloured ones.
It seems it's the less expensive marques which use the most interesting colours
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 02:18   #46
Ringthane
VOC Member

Car colours, are indeed, a contentious issue.

When Mrs R and I first went to our local dealership, we looked at the choices of colours, and neither of us could agree on the actual “colours” available, although I chose a blue that was only available on the R Design, and I wanted an Inscription, because I wanted a blonde interior.

In the end, Mrs R chose Crystal White, which is the literal opposite of the Safire Black we had before, but I wasn’t opposed to it because, while I understand our members aversion to white cars, it harked back to my first car I ever bought new; an Opel Manta GTE, in white, with white wheels, and thinking it was the dogs bollocks.

My decision making, was based on how hot a black car gets, in direct sunlight. I was walking home from work, on a particularly hot day, and passed an Audi A1, with a silver body and a black roof, and noticed the difference between the two colours, in terms of the temperature to the touch.

Now, with the Crystal White car on my driveway, I’m struck by how the White makes the car stand out, against the various shades of grey, and black, around it. It is also, considerably cooler to the touch, compared my daughter’s grey Kia Sportage or black Range Rover Sport. Indeed, looking at the colours of the cars on the rest of my street, my Crystal Wight XC60 stands out.

What’s also apparent, is that in dull sunlight, the car appears flat white and in strong sunlight, it looks pearlescent, so I’m very happy with my choice.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 11:33   #47
AB-UK
Premier Member

Nothing wrong with white - it stands out fine

I looked into the cost of "wrapping" an XC90 in a more exciting colour.
£2500 I was quoted, including door shuts etc.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote