Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Edition Review/ Comments

Views : 2228

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2020, 20:07   #1
antman99
VOC Member

Default XC60 Edition Review/ Comments

So I have now had my XC60 Edition for about 4 months but with a new born and the chaos I have not had a chance to give it a good clean or take some photos.

Thought I would post a few points about it as there is limited information on the web about this particular model.

Engine, The only choice is the T4 in FWD Automatic, I previously had the previous XC60 D4 SE Lux Nav FWD with a Manual Box, the petrol has the same power roughly but as most will know it is a totally different drive, I find the T4 much smoother, partly down to the box I am sure but it is a very nice engine, power is subjective but I am more than happy with it, off the line power seems good enough and certainly would not describe it as slow. A little noisy when pushed but quite a nice noise compared to the D4.

Spec, The Edition is basically Momentum with a few extras, Car Play, Nicer Alloys, Tints and Rear Camera, for me this is exactly what I wanted to spec but the cost is actually cheaper than the Momentum (because the engine I believe), I also added Intellisafe Pro to get Pilot Assist, BLIS etc.

Price, a big one for me was the 40k luxury car tax, with the spec I wanted it would have been less than 2k over 40k so the car tax would have cost as much as the options, this model with the Intellisafe was I think £10 under 40k, I paid a fair amount less from Bells Volvo.

Dealer, As a regular on this site I want to strongly recommend Marc and Bells, easy as possible, with the new born delivery was a welcome option, he done what I believe was a good price. In addition I had a small issue (below) and he handled it very well.

Things I prefer over my last XC60, Engine, Gearbox, Interior design are all better, I love Pilot Assist, it does seem to like hugging lines but seems better if it finds a car to track, last XC60 has Adaptive cruise and this versions seems even better, looks smart, I really do like the red and with the black wheels I think it looks actually quite sporty for a standard model.

Things I preferred in my last XC60, Only 2 things, I think the seats were slightly nicer in the last model, this is subjective of course. but they felt more solid, maybe the new ones will wear in. Second is the bigger one, I have no confidence in the longevity, the last XC60 did not miss a beat after 50k miles, only issues were minor, within the first few weeks of this car I had the Airbag light come on, turned out to be a known common issue with software but meant a week delay with a local dealer (Bells were very helpful about this). Then a few days later the camera stayed on the screen when driving and would not let me select anything until a full engine off, door open etc, then back last month I had a message about BLIS unavailable, weather was rainy but not extreme, couple of times seen messages come up saying book service/ repair then disappear after a few seconds with no indication what the issue was, all together just seems not as rugid.

Attached some photos after a wash and wax with Autoglym UHD wax this morning.

Overall I am happy but thing it is more about cost, for what I paid I am more than happy, if this was a 50k model I think the above would annoy me more.

Question for other owners, do any of the new XC60's have a boot divider like the last generation (photo below of the new single one).

EV or Plug in Hybrid? Octopus Go, 5p per KwH for 4 hours at night, £50 credit to each of us if you use my referral link - https://share.octopus.energy/rust-stone-267
antman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antman99 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 20:22   #2
V90Towman

That’s a great colour good waxing job too lovely car
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 20:43   #3
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Congratulations on your new purchase. Lovely 🙂👍
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 22:33   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Welcome to the Forum, love your Red colour.
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 14:41   #5
LEASY
LEASY

Hi, just joined the forum, and was really interested to read your comments. I Currently have a 2017 ‘60’ with the D4 engine, and to date I have been generally well satisfied with its. I am however looking to update to the latest model that you have, and was wondering if the fuel usage was considerably higher with your new petrol engine. Any stats available at present? I am considering the B5 ( 250bhp) and whilst I accept there will be a difference in mpg competed to the D4, I like the idea of a quieter drive. Any feedback would be welcome. Cheers.
LEASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:47   #6
antman99
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEASY View Post
Hi, just joined the forum, and was really interested to read your comments. I Currently have a 2017 ‘60’ with the D4 engine, and to date I have been generally well satisfied with its. I am however looking to update to the latest model that you have, and was wondering if the fuel usage was considerably higher with your new petrol engine. Any stats available at present? I am considering the B5 ( 250bhp) and whilst I accept there will be a difference in mpg competed to the D4, I like the idea of a quieter drive. Any feedback would be welcome. Cheers.
Fuel consumption is as you may expect much worse, but that is slightly unfair to say, I made a massive change to my driving about a year ago when we brought an electric car so in the last 12 months of d4 ownership I done maybe 4000 miles with an average of 45, previously when I done longer trips it was closer to 48.

New car, if I do medium length trips (20-40 miles) mixed a road and city (70/30ish) and drive sensibly in eco (newborn means not so many off the line races any more) I can get about 36mpg and bare in mind the engine has only done 1000 miles.

If I just drive to the next closest town I could be looking at 25 - 30mpg. It generally this is when we would take the i3.

It’s much quieter at all times other than hard acceleration but it’s a different noise, more enjoyable for lack of better word, part of me misses the twin turbo torque on my old d4 but the refinement is so much better especially with the auto box.

As I said I think the only negative and I would hope this is not all xc60s but I do feel the old one was a bit more of a tank, my wife likes to say this is Volvo competing with Audi and I think she is right, more premium, nicer more modern tech but not sure how they will look in 10 years.

If you want to know anything specific let me know, one thing I learnt just before lock down was I could just fit a 1.8m book shelf from oak furniture land clearance in the boot, in the old xc60 I could fit a 184cm although this may have been dashboard design etc as my seat was as close as it could have been.

EV or Plug in Hybrid? Octopus Go, 5p per KwH for 4 hours at night, £50 credit to each of us if you use my referral link - https://share.octopus.energy/rust-stone-267

Last edited by antman99; Apr 4th, 2020 at 11:02.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 11:48   #7
LEASY
LEASY

Thanks very much for your prompt input, it’s appreciated.

I test drove the xc60 with what I believe was quoted as the engine that sits in your car. After the test drive I was informed any new car ordered with a petrol engine would be the 250 bhp version I alluded to in my original note. As you say, because of lockdown I cannot make any further advances with regards another test.Obviously the 250 bhp should avail itself quite well, but a test drive is still necessary I think.

I’ve enjoyed the D4 like yourself by the sound of it, and the torque is a big part of that enjoyment. However, I do like the idea of a more peaceful cabin as I get older, and think maybe the extra fuel consumption will be ok. Famous last words. I will add that I have read somewhere that if pushed it could drop below 20 mpg, and that is a little worrying if it becomes regular.

Finally thanks again for the offer of further help, it’s most kind.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 20:48   #8
dchbrown

I had a T5 XC60 (250bhp petrol) as a replacement from Volvo Assist while mine was off the road last year.

I thought it was surprisingly quick for its size, and I did enjoy the performance which might explain why I only got an average of 27mpg over the 500 miles I covered while I had it (360 return trip to London on M1, remainder local).

I wouldn't be upset with a T5 at all if I was doing less than my usual 30k miles a a year, although that was before the lockdown of course!
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 13:53   #9
LEASY
LEASY

Thanks very much for your feedback.

My annual mileage will fall well below yours. Since retirement I average around
8k in my D4,(which incidentally appears to consistently average 39 mpg come rain or shine) so the annual costs between the two kinds of engine should not break the bank.As I said earlier, I do enjoy the torque of the D4, and I suppose if it was a little quieter, I would not be looking elsewhere.

I suppose I’ve been paying a little bit too much attention to the road tests on you tube, where generally they appear to dissuade you from the T5 because of its inferior mpg returns. Mention in one test was of a lack of torque compared to the D4 engine, despite its healthy bhp figures.

I did take a look at the Q5 from a distance, and may well have been tempted to test one just to compare the two cars in question, as one of its well heralded benefits is its quiet engines compared to others ( who might that be) however because of our enforced lockdown I have not proceeded .
Having said that, I rather love the Volvo brand, and can’t see me moving away any time soon.

Listening to your feedback has given me added belief I should be ok. Once all this business has blown over, I will again resume the most enjoyable job of fine tuning my choice.

Once again, many thanks for your input.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 15:09   #10
antman99
VOC Member

Any new car I believe would have to be a T5 or greater, my T4 was a special edition, literally called Edition, built in the China factory on a limited run, granted there are some bargains on them on Autotrader with dealers selling ex demos or pre reg for under 30k.

The only time I see less than 25mpg is the stupidly short trips, <5 miles where it has not even got warm, hate to preach but if you do a lot of these consider a PHEV, granted the Volvos are too expensive to justify.

The way I looked at costs was actually quite complex, the new shape (unless you get one of the first models) will have adblue, it seems some people are going through that like it is going out of fashion so extra cost there, first year tax is higher on the petrol so that probably balances out.

Diesel costs more per litre and in my opinion that may spread wider if the anti-diesel message continues.

Overall though (and I hate working this out compared to my EV) 5k miles per year based on £1.20 per litre at 30mpg would cost you £908 per year. Diesel at £1.25 at 40mpg would cost you £709 per year, for me £199 per year is not nothing but I genuinely believe that that could get smaller over the 5 years or so I plan on keeping the car, granted 10k miles is obviously £400 year etc.

One other thing which is always more difficult to calculate is resell, if Diesel continues it slides it may end up being worth less (could arguably be worth more if there was still demand).

Final thing for me, my D4 was rock solid from an engine perspective, but DPF, EGR and Adblue are all systems that make me nervous, DPF specifically can get touchy with shorter journeys, not sure I want to risk it. Granted I believe a Petrol Particulate Filter now exists but they seem to be able to regen a lot easier.

Oh and about the Q5, my in laws have one, I hate them (car/ in-laws?) they paid 51k for it and yes it looks smart in S-Line trim but the options list still does not match up to the new XC60 that cost >15k less. Also I could not bring myself to driving one.