Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aynone have a V60?

Views : 2752

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2020, 19:03   #21
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
V60 cross country T5 here. Bought new in December 2019. Polestarred too. I loved everything about the car until the engine started rattling, which was diagnosed as engine pinking(!). Didn’t know modern cars could do that tbh. I was only getting approx 23mpg but I suspect now it was more to do with having a duff engine.

Doesn’t matter at the moment because it’s locked in the dealership two hours away and they have now closed for the foreseeable.

So yeah great car as long as they don’t give you one with a broken engine.

Starting to think I’m having bad luck with cars...
That is bad luck, hopefully we'll all be allowed back out sometime reasonably soon so they can fix it.

I remember my Dad talking about cars pinking when I was a child in the 80s (we had a succession of run down 2nd hand Sierras and Astras) likewise I'm surprised at a modern car doing it.
bornmiddleaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 19:06   #22
bornmiddleaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
43mpg was returned on the trip down to the New Forest, M27 A35 mostly. I use cruise control on the M27 at about 70. I have found cruise control really helps with fuel consumption. I have often gradually caught up with another car, presumably not on cruise control. When I start to overtake they speed up! Once I am passed, sometimes having to accelerate, and resume my controlled pace, they come roaring up behind me and rush past.
Yes, some people don't like being overtaken!
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 19:17   #23
bornmiddleaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbass View Post
Whilst I don't have a V60 (I'm in a V90), I can at least offer some thoughts on the move from Skoda to Volvo... I got my V90 in May, and had a 2017 Superb SE-L Executive with the 150bhp 2 litre TDI before that.

I can't speak for the V60, but seats up and load cover in, the Superb (hatch) definitely had the edge on load space. I'm a touring musician so have to carry gear pretty much all the time, so boot space and usability is a big thing for me. I can still get what I need to carry in the V90, but it's definitely more snug. My entire gig rig would go in the boot of the Superb with space for a twin bass case and a holdall. In the Volvo, the boot is flat so I can just slide gear in, but the basses now go either on top of the load shelf and I can see rock all out of the back, or they go on the back seat, not the end of the world, but definitely a noticeable difference. When the seats are down though, it's truly flat which is a massive advantage over the Skoda, and even if there's less space, it's more usable!

The Skoda was very well nailed together, but it just lacked that premium feel that you get in the Volvo. The leather wasn't all that nice, and at around 30 - 40k, various creaks and rattles started to creep in. The V90 feels a lot more of a special place to be, and it doesn't creak or rattle at all. I've had some electrical niggles with it, but all cars will have that and it's what warranties are for too. When I was looking to replace the Superb, I looked at a Jag XF, Mercedes E Class and a BMW 5 Series (current model), all estates. The Jag felt like it was built with a Birmingham screwdriver, the Mercedes was plasticy, and the BMW had the edge over Volvo to be fair, but it just felt boring. Probably like the Superb should feel if it had that premium edge on it!

Drive wise, I reckon the Superb was sharper to drive. It makes sense as it's smaller and lighter, whereas the V90 is a barge. As I've not driven a V60, I can't comment there, but it's a smaller and lighter car so will likely make up for it there. I cannot argue with the comfort of Volvo though - The Superb was giving me back issues which is why it had to go (I'm only 28!), whereas the Volvo is supremely comfortable in comparison. I sat in a V60 in the showroom whilst I was trying to decide between the two, and it felt equally as comfortable.

Running wise, mine's a D4 and it's only slightly quicker than the Superb was given it's extra bulk. It's silky smooth on the motorway though and if I stick it in dynamic on the motorway and plant my foot at 60+, it still f***s off! My best mate's got an Octavia VRS 245 which wipes the floor with mine performance wise, but it still surprised him! Economy, I could easily get a tank average of around 50 - 55mpg out of the Superb without really trying, D4 V90 gets around 44mpg in the same circumstances, so I imagine a V60 will automatically better again.

I hope this helps, and if not, feel free to enjoy my rambling anyway haha
Yes, I know what you mean about the leather in the Superb, I test drove an SE-L and made a comment to my wife about how the leather felt a bit cheap, she had been thinking it was some sort of leatherette and wouldn't believe that it was real leather.

Am I right in thinking the Inscription trim has the nappa leather, whereas the Momentum has some cheaper spec of leather?

How do you fine the throttle response compared to the Superb (assuming you had the DSG)? I find it can be a bit hesitant from a standstill and I need to push the throttle quite far down to get anything more than a crawling start. Makes for a smoother drive but sometimes means I get back in my wife's manual Golf and find myself wheelspinning out of a junction as it needs so little input on the throttle.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 11:34   #24
Davebbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
Yes, I know what you mean about the leather in the Superb, I test drove an SE-L and made a comment to my wife about how the leather felt a bit cheap, she had been thinking it was some sort of leatherette and wouldn't believe that it was real leather.

Am I right in thinking the Inscription trim has the nappa leather, whereas the Momentum has some cheaper spec of leather?

How do you fine the throttle response compared to the Superb (assuming you had the DSG)? I find it can be a bit hesitant from a standstill and I need to push the throttle quite far down to get anything more than a crawling start. Makes for a smoother drive but sometimes means I get back in my wife's manual Golf and find myself wheelspinning out of a junction as it needs so little input on the throttle.
Yep, even with conditioning it just wouldn't soften. The alcantara in my mate's Octavia VRS is much nicer! You're quite right too, nappa in the Inscription, and regular leather in the Momentum... I looked at the Momentum as well, and the leather still seemed nicer than the Superb. It's thicker so probably more durable.

I had the manual Superb, but it was definitely a sharper response at first. It was noticeable heavier on tyres as a result, but the Volvo is a smoother drive. Once you're used to it, it's fine. You learn to accelerate that tiny bit quicker, and it's more than okay. I've done 19k in mine since May and never once thought "I wish this was sharper!"
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 15:21   #25
Hogster

I can't comment on the nappa leather, but if the Superb leather is anything like the leather seats I had in my old A4, then even the Momentum seats will feel like a really comfy armchair!
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 17:14   #26
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

Similar to @Davebbass, I went Skoda Superb SE-L to a V90 albeit via a 5 Series Touring in the middle.

'65 plate Skoda to '64 plate 5er to '68 plate V90 - all company cars.

I'll skip the comparison to the BMW as this was a step back to get a new car earlier.

My Superb had got to about 30k miles (if I remember correctly) and it started developing silly / minor but annoying problems and it made me feel nervous about it. Stuff going wrong which shouldn't in a newish car such as air con compressor, stereo, heated rear screen to name but a few.

I'd been an advocate of Skoda for a number of years having had a Mk1 Octavia, Mk2 Octavia Estate, Mk2 Superb before the Mk3 Superb.

First impressions were great but as you get to live with it longer you notice and see things that aren't actually that great - the carpet is quite thin in places, the dashboard starts off OK but then the squeaks and rattles set in. In fact the full leather seats in the Superb started to wear quite quickly especially on the right hand side bolster of the drivers seat. The Superb was a DSG but quite often it thought it was a toaster when it got to roundabouts or corners and just messed about changing up and down trying to find the right gear; quite annoying when you are trying to get on.

Again similar to Davebbass, at replacement time I discounted the new 5er (to replace my then current 5er) as although they are good cars, they are ten-a-penny and pretty bland inside. On comparison to the R-Design spec the tech and kit was pretty much the same, and in my opinion the V90 is one of the best looking estates on the market so I plumped for it. In all honesty i think it may have been the AutoPilot which swung it from me, as the 5er doesn't have anything like it as standard.

Haven't been disappointed at all by the V90 - it's fantastic cabin to sit in and drive, absolutely delight to drive - smooth and comfortable. Done a number of long high mileage runs and got out the end without any issue. R-Design seats are uber comfy. Plenty of tech in the car - love the full touch screen. Build quality is streets ahead of the Skoda - the Superb isn't a premium car and skimps in a lot of areas (contray to what the Skoda lovers may say, and trust me they do as I used to frequent their forum!)

Overall the V90 (and I guess the V60 too) is/are great cars.
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 20:05   #27
finnster

Sort of similar situation, my previous car was an Octavia VRs (diesel) I did love that car, went round corners brilliantly, great pick up when accelerating, never had an issue with it and in Meteor Grey looked really smart.

I wasn't brilliantly refined though, I had no squeaks or rattles, but it really thumped over pot holes and uneven surfaces (19 inch alloys/low profile tyres) plus it didn't have great sound proofing so was quite noisy to drive.

I did look at Skodas when it was time to change, however high interest rates and a rubbish part ex valuation put me off.

I eventually went for my Volvo V60 as I got 20% off the list price, good interest rates and a fantastic part ex valuation.

The Volvo is different animal, really comfortable, quiet, refined, full of tech - I went for the R Design spec just to keep the sporting profile.

The Skoda was in comparison quite raw, I do miss it sometimes but I wouldn't go back - I enjoy sitting back in my Volvo and cruising, having looked at BMW's and Mercs I really feel there is no nicer place to be.