Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC90 inscription v VW Tourareg

Views : 8976

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 11:30   #11
badonkadonk

Can't comment on Touareg, but coming from a Passat CC to an S90 D5, the VW interior is funtional but oh so boring, and having considered an Arteon against the S90, they're not really changing. Also the VW interior was annoyingly creaky, the Volvo is much plusher and without any creaks.

VW 4 pot diesel is more refined than the Volvo, although from inside it's not really an issue.

And last observation, VW can make a stop start system that works and is not BRAIN DEAD like the Volvo system, even with current sw.
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 13:05   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computastar View Post
Without a doubt the VW is a much better car, the VW group have many more resources to develop a car than Volvo. To your points against the VW, you have to remember that the Touareg's big brother, the Q7 is the 7 seat option, and I agree with you the trim elbow down is not as quality as the Volvo, but again they need to differentiate against the Q7, why else are you going to spend an extra £10K on average for the Audi when essentially its the same car.
As you said the Touareg is around £200 p/m cheaper, I would have had the Touareg had there not been a spike in prices while I was swapping, plus even the new Black edition Touareg is now cheaper on lease than the Volvo.
As for dealers, I think you old school Volvo owners are going to be in for a shock, there is obviously a drive from Volvo UK to bring in the large dealership groups like Stoneacre, who I got my car from, but wouldn't let them service a dinky toy, so it will be to Riverside for servicing, but how much longer can they hang on before Volvo UKs demands make it impossible for them to compete.
The Volvo is not a bad car, its just not polished enough for the price and the fact its nearly 6 years and still has a lot of quirks and niggles is unacceptable, the random things the software does, just shows the lack development and testing, and I'm sure its the Chinese influence (if you ever owned one of the Chinese market Android phones, you'll know what I mean) but I'm not sure they are going to cut with the prestige market and with companies like KIA/Hyundai snapping at their heels I think their market is shrinking, especially in the large SUV market.
I know you Volvo Fanboys are going to get defensive about this, but as someone who has no particular allegiance to any manufacture, and just gets the best value large SUV at lease renewal time, I don't think it will be a Volvo for me next time.
I agree with you on most of what you are saying, the Volvo being well over due was rushed into production and could have done with more development, but for my needs the XC90 gave me the best all round compromise over the others, 7 seats, large cargo area, comfort apart from road noise (which is much better after getting those Continental tyres off) 4 wheel drive, looks, good towing ability and at the time price compared to Q7 etc, especially with the same spec as mine.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 13:10   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Without a doubt the VW is a much better car, the VW group have many more resources to develop a car than Volvo. To your points against the VW, you have to remember that the Touareg's big brother, the Q7 is the 7 seat option, and I agree with you the trim elbow down is not as quality as the Volvo, but again they need to differentiate against the Q7, why else are you going to spend an extra £10K on average for the Audi when essentially its the same car.
As you said the Touareg is around £200 p/m cheaper, I would have had the Touareg had there not been a spike in prices while I was swapping, plus even the new Black edition Touareg is now cheaper on lease than the Volvo.
As for dealers, I think you old school Volvo owners are going to be in for a shock, there is obviously a drive from Volvo UK to bring in the large dealership groups like Stoneacre, who I got my car from, but wouldn't let them service a dinky toy, so it will be to Riverside for servicing, but how much longer can they hang on before Volvo UKs demands make it impossible for them to compete.
The Volvo is not a bad car, its just not polished enough for the price and the fact its nearly 6 years and still has a lot of quirks and niggles is unacceptable, the random things the software does, just shows the lack development and testing, and I'm sure its the Chinese influence (if you ever owned one of the Chinese market Android phones, you'll know what I mean) but I'm not sure they are going to cut with the prestige market and with companies like KIA/Hyundai snapping at their heels I think their market is shrinking, especially in the large SUV market.
I know you Volvo Fanboys are going to get defensive about this, but as someone who has no particular allegiance to any manufacture, and just gets the best value large SUV at lease renewal time, I don't think it will be a Volvo for me next time.
I'd love to see your evidence of that :-)
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 14:58   #14
Computastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I'd love to see your evidence of that :-)
https://www.manufacturing.net/automo...-manufacturers
Computastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 15:22   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
well thanks for taking the trouble , volvo is a low volume manufacturer , quality and exclusive rather than quantity . Having said that they are rocketing up the popularity scale this last 5 years , every month is record sales .
Having Geeley behind them gives them all they will ever need cash wise .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg end of 2019.jpg (61.9 KB, 28 views)
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 19:10   #16
Discoman

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm on my first Volvo and after six months am very happy with it. That said I went for the cheapest XC90 with a few options. At this price point it is a brilliant car but I am not sure it would be at £15k more which is where the Touareg/X5/Q7 were priced at.

I also have a couple of VWs and they are very good cars but the Touareg just didn't feel right to me - they overpriced it/under specced it IMHO.
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 21:52   #17
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

"VW group have many more resources to develop a car than Volvo".

Given that the brand includes at least a dozen marques all the way from Bugattit and Bentley to Seat it is not surprising that they come out top of the table when it comes to production numbers.

I am not sure that means more or better development resource and skill. I dont think development is centralised or even shared amongst all the group at the same time, if ever at all in many circumstances.

Having had several VW group vehicles over the years my preference these days is Volvo. Their build quality is better, the interior design and quality is much more to my taste. The Teutonic approach to function is nowhere near the scandi cool of a Volvo. Also I have had significantly fewer faults/failures with Volvo than VW. Like Mercedes, VW's legendary reputation for quality has been severely dented in recent years.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 09:52   #18
Computastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm on my first Volvo and after six months am very happy with it. That said I went for the cheapest XC90 with a few options. At this price point it is a brilliant car but I am not sure it would be at £15k more which is where the Touareg/X5/Q7 were priced at.

I also have a couple of VWs and they are very good cars but the Touareg just didn't feel right to me - they overpriced it/under specced it IMHO.
Not sure where you are getting £15k more for the VW.
Volvo XC90 B5d R-Design Pro - £61,185
VW Touareg Black Edition (V6 286) - £61,345

And that's with a proper V6 in a 2.5 Tonne car, not a highly strained 4 pot.

I expected a fan boy response, of course you like you cars, but there are better at a better price out there. The Volvo is not bad car, if it was I'd have swapped it out by now, its just not there with the competition.
I find find it strange that no one has commented on my outlook for the dealership network, Volvo UK are one of the last not to adopt the multi dealership group approach, believe me things will change and the nice little touches you appreciated will be gone.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 09:58   #19
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
I find find it strange that no one has commented on my outlook for the dealership network, Volvo UK are one of the last not to adopt the multi dealership group approach, believe me things will change and the nice little touches you appreciated will be gone.
As I have said before, one of the reasons I have stayed with Volvo is the excellent dealer we have here. It is not one of the multi dealerships driven by bean counters. One of the technicians at our Audi dealer told us that he was always expected to find something extra to charge for, despite the car being perfectly OK. That may not happen at all multi dealerships, but the pressure is there.
Oh, and of course, I am pleased with my V60. Good build quality, adequate performance, comfortable.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 10:06   #20
Computastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov04v View Post
"VW group have many more resources to develop a car than Volvo".

Given that the brand includes at least a dozen marques all the way from Bugattit and Bentley to Seat it is not surprising that they come out top of the table when it comes to production numbers.

I am not sure that means more or better development resource and skill. I dont think development is centralised or even shared amongst all the group at the same time, if ever at all in many circumstances.

Having had several VW group vehicles over the years my preference these days is Volvo. Their build quality is better, the interior design and quality is much more to my taste. The Teutonic approach to function is nowhere near the scandi cool of a Volvo. Also I have had significantly fewer faults/failures with Volvo than VW. Like Mercedes, VW's legendary reputation for quality has been severely dented in recent years.
The VW group start at the top for many of the car development programmes, so the Touareg is based on the Bentley Bentayga, a fugly car but my god awesome as a SUV.
As for build quality, I'm going to say you are one of the luck ones, there are plenty of reports on this forum of rattles, faults, failures etc. Now I haven't experienced any fault that I can be bothered to book it into the dealership for yet, so cant comment on how they would remedy it, but its just coming up to 12 months old/12K miles and has plenty of rattles and more disappointingly design faults, like the wind/tyre noise, the software is unbelievably flaky, to the point we play Sensus bingo when we get in on which part wont be working today.