Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aynone have a V60?

Views : 2744

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 16:46   #1
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Default Aynone have a V60?

Hi all, considering a V60 to replace my Skoda Superb at some point in the next 12 months.
I am guessing from the other models listed that this is the right forum section for the V60 but it's not mentioned and a quick look through threads doesn't seem to bring up a lot on the V60.
So, as per the title, does anyone have one?
Not really interested in an SUV and a saloon would not be that practical for us, so it's V90 or V60. The V90 list price is so high now that even just adding metallic paint puts it over £40k and in the high VED bracket plus I was looking for something slightly smaller than the Superb.
Not an issue if I lease, I suppose.
Any responses appreciated.
bornmiddleaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 17:28   #2
Wizzpop
Master Member

There are a few V60 owners, including me. I have had mine nearly 18 months and very pleased with it. I am retired so it has only done 10k miles. A friend of mine also has one, which has now done about 20k miles. He is also very pleased with it.
Given my low mileage I went for the T5 Momentum Pro which was a spec they produced at start of marketing the new V60. I was careful to keep it under £40k.
It is a comfortable car although my wife complains her right elbow has the hard centre console for company. She has a soft small blanket to pad it out.
There is quite a lot of room in it. I took 3 adults and 2 children plus luggage to Norfolk last year, without any issues.
The T5 engine is very smooth and quiet, with enough power for my needs, although it can be Polestared for a slight improvement.
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 20:20   #3
roundyuk

The new V60 is basically V70 size, it almost is a replacement for V70 in my mind as the V90 is much bigger.

Loads of room in the back for passengers, and arguably the boot is more useable than the V90 becuase there isn't the slope.

I am 26k miles ish on a 2019 D4 Momentum Pro, really like the car; even driven it to southern France and back; effortless journey.

Go take one for a test drive (if you can at the moment).
The Following User Says Thank You to roundyuk For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 20:26   #4
iain.condliffe

I ordered by Momentum Plus T4 Auto last week. Its on a personal lease and was due for delivery next week but that is obviously up in the air now!

This will replace an Octavia Scout, my second, both of which were great but I've decided I'm ready for a change and something a little different.

I agree about the boot, not massive but usable, that and the rear leg room sold it to me. And. It looks more usable to me than the V90 which felt a bit unwieldy to me.

I'm excited!
iain.condliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 23:16   #5
DougR

I had a Skoda Superb (previous generation) as my last but one car, now in a V60 for a few weeks, my comparison might be a little bit out because it’s not with the current gen Superb.

The Volvo feels as big as the Skoda outside but inside it definitely feels smaller, especially the boot, I carry a lot of work equipment, this hasn’t changed between these cars and it was definitely easier to load around it in the Skoda.

Refinement and economy I also think the Skoda wins, considering the Volvo is 8 years advanced on the Skoda, this is disappointing.

Look and feel, Volvo wins especially compared to the current superb which I’ve driven a couple of times, the Volvo just feels better.

i can’t compare on tech because my Skoda was so old but I’m seriously impressed with inellisafe plus, the steering assist is excellent.

I still think that Superb was the best car I ever owned but the V60 Is good enough in most places and much better in others,
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 10:36   #6
bornmiddleaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
There are a few V60 owners, including me. I have had mine nearly 18 months and very pleased with it. I am retired so it has only done 10k miles. A friend of mine also has one, which has now done about 20k miles. He is also very pleased with it.
Given my low mileage I went for the T5 Momentum Pro which was a spec they produced at start of marketing the new V60. I was careful to keep it under £40k.
It is a comfortable car although my wife complains her right elbow has the hard centre console for company. She has a soft small blanket to pad it out.
There is quite a lot of room in it. I took 3 adults and 2 children plus luggage to Norfolk last year, without any issues.
The T5 engine is very smooth and quiet, with enough power for my needs, although it can be Polestared for a slight improvement.
Thanks. I see there is now a T4 which would probably be adequate for me, especially on the roads round here and the fact that I commute in rush hour (I see you are local to me so I'm sure you're familiar with the M27 traffic!). I have the 1.4 TSI engine which produces 150bhp and I've never really felt it struggles even with the car loaded.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 10:42   #7
bornmiddleaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain.condliffe View Post
I ordered by Momentum Plus T4 Auto last week. Its on a personal lease and was due for delivery next week but that is obviously up in the air now!

This will replace an Octavia Scout, my second, both of which were great but I've decided I'm ready for a change and something a little different.

I agree about the boot, not massive but usable, that and the rear leg room sold it to me. And. It looks more usable to me than the V90 which felt a bit unwieldy to me.

I'm excited!
Hopefully it's not too badly delayed but it looks like things are becoming more locked down by the day.

I had an Octavia previously and it never put a foot wrong, but I was tempted by the looks of the Superb and the levels of kit for the money (the Octy had pretty much no toys whatsoever).
The Superb is really good (naming a model "Superb" is asking for trouble really) but after having it for a year, I still can't get my right leg / foot comfortable. Not sure if it is the seat or pedal position. I've tried adjusting the seat in every possible combination but no joy.

Fingers crossed on your car arriving.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 10:50   #8
bornmiddleaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
I had a Skoda Superb (previous generation) as my last but one car, now in a V60 for a few weeks, my comparison might be a little bit out because it’s not with the current gen Superb.

The Volvo feels as big as the Skoda outside but inside it definitely feels smaller, especially the boot, I carry a lot of work equipment, this hasn’t changed between these cars and it was definitely easier to load around it in the Skoda.

Refinement and economy I also think the Skoda wins, considering the Volvo is 8 years advanced on the Skoda, this is disappointing.

Look and feel, Volvo wins especially compared to the current superb which I’ve driven a couple of times, the Volvo just feels better.

i can’t compare on tech because my Skoda was so old but I’m seriously impressed with inellisafe plus, the steering assist is excellent.

I still think that Superb was the best car I ever owned but the V60 Is good enough in most places and much better in others,
Interesting, yes, I've got the (almost) current (Mk 3) Superb, I say almost as they have given it a facelift but it doesn't look like the interior has changed much.

I'm not surprised about the economy to be honest, pretty much every review I have read of a Volvo comments on the poor fuel economy. My annual mileage hovers around 11k so I'm not too concerned about that. If I were to lease, I may just get the diesel as then any future punitive taxes wouldn't be my concern.

I am surpised you think the refinement is worse as that was one of the things I assumed would be better in the Volvo.
What particular aspect do you think was better in the Skoda?
I must say, the refinement in the Superb is good (very little engine noise unless you are pushing it, generally low wind and road noise) but I have seen a few people on Briskoda comment that they have moved from Mk2 to Mk3 Superb and felt the refinement had dropped, so if you had a Mk2, perhaps that was the sweet spot
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 11:37   #9
iain.condliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
Interesting, yes, I've got the (almost) current (Mk 3) Superb, I say almost as they have given it a facelift but it doesn't look like the interior has changed much.

I'm not surprised about the economy to be honest, pretty much every review I have read of a Volvo comments on the poor fuel economy. My annual mileage hovers around 11k so I'm not too concerned about that. If I were to lease, I may just get the diesel as then any future punitive taxes wouldn't be my concern.

I am surpised you think the refinement is worse as that was one of the things I assumed would be better in the Volvo.
What particular aspect do you think was better in the Skoda?
I must say, the refinement in the Superb is good (very little engine noise unless you are pushing it, generally low wind and road noise) but I have seen a few people on Briskoda comment that they have moved from Mk2 to Mk3 Superb and felt the refinement had dropped, so if you had a Mk2, perhaps that was the sweet spot
Just spoken to the deliver and it's moved back a month as they car can't get out of the docks. It's no issue as my old one is still here but if BCA turn up to get it the dealer will keep me mobile due to my profession, also the contract doesn't start til delivery so its all good.

In terms of leasing, diesel is noticeably expensive now with volvo, a reluctance to market them and decreasing residuals were cited as the reasons.

I can't fault the dealer, a good distance from me but they have my total faith. I'll name them when everything is sorted 👍
iain.condliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 11:59   #10
Hogster

I had a VW Passat before my V60, and I must say that after 10 months and 16k miles I am very pleased with the V60. I was concerned about the smaller boot on the V60, but somehow I still managed to fit everything in for our annual holiday to France last year, and there's loads of room in the back still, if not quite the same as the Superb.

I have the D4 auto Momentum Pro, which as a previous poster mentioned, is a spec you can't get any more, but I would say the Momentum gives you pretty much everything you need and the D4 is a lovely engine, whilst the ride is very comfortable, which is especially important given that I spend most of my time doing lots of miles on motorways (though not at the moment!!). The car also feels a bit more special inside compared with the Passat (which was, admittedly in standard sales rep spec), although the infotainment system takes a bit of getting used to.

Overall, I'd say find one for a test drive and see how you get on.

Edit: economy-wise, I'm getting around 48mpg (brim-to-brim) on my regular 130 mile commuting trip, in comfort mode. If I drive in Eco then it shows an indicated 54mpg. Comfort works well enough for me. I used to get more from my Passat, which was a 2.0TDI manual at around 56mpg consistently, but I'm happy with what I get in the V60.

Last edited by Hogster; Mar 24th, 2020 at 13:23.
Hogster is offline   Reply With Quote