Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tips needed

Views : 1045

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 02:42   #1
macintyre

I bought my first car 3 weeks ago a volvo v40 2.0 i. The car is a 1997 (p) model and has just over 100,000 miles on the clock. The car is in really nice condition and apears to have had an easy life during those 100,000 miles. I bought the car from a dealer for what seemed to be a steal of a price £3,500. I dont have a lot of knowledge when it somes to cars especially volvos so i was wondering if there is anything i should be looking out for as the car has done a few miles and may need a few bits here and there changed. I know the timing belt is meant to be changed around 80,000 or something but i had a peak under the bonnet and came across a nice sticker telling me it was changed by the dealership when the car had done around 70,000. What i need all you lovely volvo v40 drivers to tell me is if there is anything else i should be looking into having changed or looked at. The car really is a super machine, ive been down to cardiff and back no problems and all over the central belt of scotland.

If you have any information for me that would be ideal.

Russell
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 12:39   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: tips needed

Hi.

It doesn't sound as if anything needs immediate attention. It sounds well looked after. All you have to do is take over the 'caring owner' mantle and keep it in good order.

One thing I will say is that if you don't know when it last had an oil change, get it done pronto with good quality synthetic or semi synthetic oil.
Get it serviced when the light next comes on. The frequency of your oil changes is one of the biggest factors in maintaining the condition and quality of your engine, especially higher mileage ones.
All the Volvos I have ever owned have had at least 80,000 miles on when I have got rid of them, most had over 130,000 on them, and all were still going strong.
From what I know of a well mainteined Volvo (I have had 7) is that your engine should just about be run it by now! ;-)

Enjoy your car and get a nice set of 16 or 17" wheels for it.

See the pic of my old T4 that has just gone in the gallery for an idea of what 17" wheels look like on an S40.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote