Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar on XC70 D4 Manual

Views : 4384

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 18:57   #41
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Nov 2020 lloyds @ Carlisle had mega cheap deal... like £350ish. I initially bought it but had to give backword as AVIVA would not insure the car with it installed. - Gutted.

Perhaps worth a call???

Cheers
Bob
I would second that - Lloyds are my 'local' dealer (nearest @ 60 miles!), used them for years and always found them very obliging - they've Polestar'd two cars for me - both good deals.
Even if there's no official offer running, it's still worth asking for a deal - mentioning club membership also helps...!

Totally agree with Tatsfield - don't lose your Polestar because of an insurer's ignorance/stupidity/greed.
Be careful what you say to them about it - careless description of Polestar to an uninitiated insurer can result in an unfavourable quote, or outright refusal.
Always mention "optimisation" and that it "improves efficiency" (if they ask "what is it? / what does it do?"!) - leave "performance" or similar out of it as far as possible.
But if their silly attitude persists, dump them and shop around - there's plenty more out there.
I was with Esure for years with several Volvos, mostly with Polestar, and they only charged a small premium - one year, when changing to a newer model (all XC70s) it even went down.
Unfortunately, they eventually started hiking prices generally so I had to try elsewhere - I remember Aviva were particularly unenlightened!
I then tried Volvo Insurance which was great - obviously no issues with Polestar - until they decided last year - during lockdown when my usage had never been lower - to hike my renewal by £150 - for no reason, so that was that.
I'm now with Brightside who were fine with P* - hope it continues at renewal next month...!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 21:11   #42
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnieye View Post
Please can you tell us which Scottish dealer you used SignumGB?
Thank you.
Strathmore Volvo (Perth) did mine.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 18:24   #43
reggit
Premier Member

Always wondered, how do you know if a car has a polestar map on it if you bought used and it goes nowhere near a dealer?
Would insurers know from registration? Just seems you could fall foul of not telling them because you don’t know.
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 19:08   #44
Tatsfield
Premier Member

If you have any experience with the particular model and you drive one with a Polestar optimisation, you can feel it. It accelerates more than it ought to and you find you have an uncontrolled grin on your face!

Without having a dealer check out the car and its Volvo service record the only other way is to look for the small badge if it's been applied. The real worry from an insurance point of view isn't about normal usage and minor scrapes. It's about the unlikely but insurable risk of a major multi million pound liability case where the money involved easily justifies the insurance assessor delving deeply into the electronics of the car to get his company off the hook and to put you into a financial disaster which makes the resultant driving ban and fine look like small change.

However, having Polestar gives you a whole new and different car to most other Volvo owners. It's not a particularly vicious remap but it puts the car into the next level of performance. It tends to surprise BMW and Audi drivers.
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 23:58   #45
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
If you have any experience with the particular model and you drive one with a Polestar optimisation, you can feel it. It accelerates more than it ought to and you find you have an uncontrolled grin on your face!

Without having a dealer check out the car and its Volvo service record the only other way is to look for the small badge if it's been applied. The real worry from an insurance point of view isn't about normal usage and minor scrapes. It's about the unlikely but insurable risk of a major multi million pound liability case where the money involved easily justifies the insurance assessor delving deeply into the electronics of the car to get his company off the hook and to put you into a financial disaster which makes the resultant driving ban and fine look like small change.

However, having Polestar gives you a whole new and different car to most other Volvo owners. It's not a particularly vicious remap but it puts the car into the next level of performance. It tends to surprise BMW and Audi drivers.
Until a couple of years ago, they also used to supply a numbered certificate which should be kept with the car's documents.
More recently, the much reduced Polestar pack now contains an etched metal plaque, although this is not specific to the individual vehicle.
The declaration thing can be a bit of a grey area but most insurers I have discussed it with are usually only concerned with what they describe as after-market, non-standard modifications.
As we know, Polestar Optimisation is a genuine Volvo accessory (and can even be specified on the order sheet with other factory options), so cannot be classed as subsequent external modification.
Would you be required to tell your insurer you have heated seats if they were not part of the basic spec? - or a sunroof, or parking sensors, upgraded sound system etc...?
Polestar = regular Volvo option... there should be no need to mention it.
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 00:35   #46
Tatsfield
Premier Member

@Volvocat I totally agree with you but I also recognise that insurance companies are your friends when you're paying the premiums and your duplicitous enemies when you're making a claim. Although they insure cars they also tend to be ignorant about automotive matters and see everything as something where you are trying to deceive them and out of which they can make money.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 12:56   #47
apersson850
Premier Member

Here in Sweden, you are supposed to do what's called a limited registration inspection after a Polestar upgrade. Then the new max power will be listed in the registration.

If you don't, nobody will ever know.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 09:08   #48
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
..... Would you be required to tell your insurer you have heated seats if they were not part of the basic spec? - or a sunroof, or parking sensors, upgraded sound system etc...?
Polestar = regular Volvo option... there should be no need to mention it.
That thought cross my mind.. , and in one of my more Stubborn Pedantic Dinosaur Bob moments considered contacting Aviva ( current insurer) and going through all the "non standard option " items I'd added to my car and querying if my insurance was still valid; even down to whether the change from Michelin to Goodyear or Continental tyres was also a "modification" too far....(" ..our underwriters are now not permitting ANY modifications to the insured vehicle" , was what I was told when I asked about Polestar.)

I decided to not waste my time - its not the sales peoples fault... I've been there - told to defend the indefenceable - its not a pleasant place.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 19:39   #49
john493
Spannering since birth

LV are happy with an engine remap and other mods - very little impact on the premium.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote