Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 S40 side/visibility light replacement help + new alloys

Views : 1755

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 15:32   #1
timnoble99uk

Default 1998 S40 side/visibility light replacement help + new alloys

Can anyone help?

My 1998 S40 1.6 has had one of the side lights/running lights/visibility lights (the small orange lights - whatever they are called) go out. It's the one by the front nearside wheel arch. Theres no mention on how to replace them in the handbook , though I notice it states in later models books how to do it but the method doesn't work on cars this age. It seems impossible to get at them from inside the car or under the bonnett - surely you don't have to take the car apart??!!!!!!

Secondly, does anyone know where to get genuine Volvo alloy wheels 15" or wheel trims apart from the dealerships?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 15:58   #2
Mike Clift

Default RE: 1998 S40 side/visibility light replacement help + new alloys

The bad news about your side marker is that it's a one piece fitment and you cannot just change the bulb.

The rest of the bas news is that the dealer will charge about £25 plus vat to sell you one, more if you want it fitted.

Can't help on wheels, no idea.

Mike
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 16:05   #3
Mav_UK

How do they fit into the bumpers? The rear drivers (passenger in UK) side has what looks like a dry joint. Only seen it go off once and a quick thump later it was working again, but I would like to check the connections if it's a simple job....

Stu
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 20:35   #4
Mike Clift

Sorry,

no idea how that fit them in - mine was done at the dealers.

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 20:37   #5
4 forty
VOC Member

[front side light] first remove the direction indicator light,then reach in behind the bumper and release the light unit retaining clip

[rear side light] remove the rear mudflap from the bumper,slacken and remove the screw securing the bumper to the body,disconnect the wiring plug,then reach behind the bumper to release the retaining clip.

dont qoute me, but i am sure that they are same as ford, but half the price,i will look into this for when one of mine fails.

hope this is of help to you.

paul

4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 forty For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 20:58   #6
4 forty
VOC Member

i knew i had seen them somewere,they are sold by euro car parts, and cost £8-39 plus the old vat.
part number is 477660130.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 13:25   #7
timnoble99uk

thanks! I'll give it a go, although being aware my mechanic skills are not up to scratch!

thanks again
tim