Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non-starting 440 SXi auto

Views : 1684

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2017, 15:23   #1
Veloce2000

Default Non-starting 440 SXi auto

My recently purchased 1992 SXi auto (which was offered on this site ) has immobilised itself in the office car park! It was running beautifully, then one lunchtime didn't want to start. All the lights came on but not a peep from the starter motor. I ran the gear lever in and out of Park a few times, then it did start OK. But at home time no deal, though once again all the dash lights and blower worked fine, and I know the battery is good.

I'm guessing (though happy to be told otherwise) it may be something to do with something in the gearbox's inhibitor circuit. But what, where and how do I get at it? I'm competent with spanners etc, but this is outside my area of experience. Any suggestions/help gratefully received.
Veloce2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 08:46   #2
Veloce2000

Well, anyone would think it was an Alfa Romeo. I left the 440 sat in the office car park (where I luckily had a spare Audi A2 – it's complicated, don't ask...) for a week until I had the free (lunch)time and right weather to tackle it.

Perhaps the threat of a small toolbox and a cheap set of jump leads was enough, but taking a scientific approach I started my checks by trying the key again, and it started first turn. So I drove to another parking bay, just to test how it felt, and decided if it started again at home time then off we'd go. It did and I've been using it regularly since, so far with no issues, though I have avoided any use which would involve parking somewhere I don't want to get stuck. How long until I can fully trust it again?

Obviously with no 'live' problem there, there's no point taking it to the garage. I could wind up with a bill for more than the car cost and possibly still be no nearer to an answer.

So any thoughts or experiences from others who've had a similar problem are still most welcome. I'm happy to try replacing a few bits myself, but need an idea of where to start.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 08:51   #3
dcw
VOC Member

I am afraid I can't help you since I have never had an automatic 400 series.

Has the car been doing nothing/very little in the time before you bought it? Might just be one of those things as all the systems wake up again with the sudden onset of use.

Glad it appears to have sorted itself anyway, and hopefully it won't happen again!

All the best

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 09:40   #4
Dancake
Premier Member

I've heard of mobile phone and television masts/transmitters causing starting issues. Is there one in the car park near where you parked the 440?
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 16:31   #5
P505DEF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
I've heard of mobile phone and television masts/transmitters causing starting issues. Is there one in the car park near where you parked the 440?
I had this issue on my 440 granted it was a 1996 P reg. Have you got remotes for locking? Have you got a red LED near heated seat switch, if so is it on when you put ignition on?
P505DEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 14:58   #6
Veloce2000

No, the SXi is a pretty odd spec, so no central locking remotes. Have to wind the windows by hand, too. But it does have (still working) aircon and heated seats. Currently (fingers crossed) still behaving itself, though when I started it this morning there was the tiniest hesitation when turning the key before anything happened.

I gave it a hard stare and decided not to stop for fuel on the way to the office...just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Veloce2000 For This Useful Post: