Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 DIY servicing

Views : 609

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2017, 18:57   #1
TurboZed

Default XC90 DIY servicing

My 2006 XC90 is due a service and I thought I'd do it myself. Other than just the general replacement of the filters and oil is there anything electronic that needs resetting? I had a Peugeot Bipper van a while back the required the oil degradation counter resetting! Doing that was a damn sight easier than said.
Cheers
Jim
TurboZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 23:15   #2
Premier Member

The only thing that requires re-setting as part of a regular service is the service reminder indicator, and then only if you find the message being displayed on start up annoying. It will require access to VIDA to clear the message; I have seen many posts over the years saying that it can be done without VIDA, using the trip counter button, but I have never been able to do it.
If you intend to change the ATF fluid, the counter for that will also need doing, again via VIDA.
There have been various software updates over the years, which get done by the dealer at scheduled services, but I am not aware of any that have been released over the last 2 or 3 years so, if your car has been dealer serviced in the last year or two, it should be up to date.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 23:41   #3
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
service reminder indicator.....can be done without VIDA
It is very simple (I actually did it today on my car).

Ignition to position I
Press and hold the trip meter reset button
Ignition to position II within 2 seconds
Hold button until the general yellow warning illuminates and you hear a beep, then release
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 02:21   #4
TurboZed

Thanks guys. Its had full Volvo service history up until now, but as its getting old and high mileage, plus I do service a hell of a lot of cars I thought there's no point paying somebody else to do it. Do you know what sort of mileage the ATF counter comes on at?
Jim
TurboZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 10:26   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

It is not fixed but counts the number of high temperature events. It is a "smart" counter. If the transmission has not been flushed before, it is well worth doing.. and it is a DIY job
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 11:19   #6
CaerYnArfon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
it is well worth doing.. and it is a DIY job
Will second that. I used the Gibbons method (search Youtube for a really good video) Used JWS 3309 Automatic transmission fluid. Got it from Opie oils.

Hi mine is a 10 plate but a 2011 D5 model.

I replaced my oil using a slightly modified Gibbons method. I taped a funnel to the return line you pull out of the top of the oil cooler (top right of radiator as you stand in front of the car) and made sure it was steady when replacing the oil. I poured in the same volume as I removed each time I removed some. It is slightly slower but less hassle than removing the Air intake, and all the othe rbits and pieces required.

Mine is a TF-80SC gearbox (probably but worth checking your manual) then I used JWS 3309 Automatic transmission fluid. Got it from Opie oils online. bought about 8-9 litres (I think)

Opinion seems to be that It really SHOULD be the red JWS3309. But have heard other oils being used.

Also another thing, I bought some replacement O rings from Skandix but went for the cheaper black ones... wished I bought the yellow OEM ones now I feel they might have fitted better. but are £5 each! lol. However no leaks even with the black ones :-)

On the whole it was very satisfying and fairly easy to do...

Didn't need to use the drainplug which only partially drains the oil and needs to be repeated over a few days. The gibbons method you carry on (while you've got fresh oil to put in it) until it runs clear red again
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 12:13   #7
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
I taped a funnel to the return line
You can use a short length of garden hose as an adapter, to attach a funnel to the return line to add fluid.