Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can I ask for a 'customised' service schedule ?

Views : 504

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2017, 20:42   #1
Semnoz

Default Can I ask for a 'customised' service schedule ?

While I don't mind paying a Volvo dealer to do something important the relates to my car's safety and performance, I'm quite reluctant to pay £390 for someone to do things like checking reservoir levels, topping up washer fluid, changing oil etc...

I'm mainly saying this as everything I can see in the official full service schedule that relates to item replacement has already been done this year, so it would be a complete waste to get it done again so soon after (there's a reason why this has happened which I can explain if anyone's interested). So I'm not posting this to make a point about services being over-priced (although I could easily be persuaded to think that, but it's not what I'm wanting to discuss here).

Is it possible for me negotiate a 'custom' service schedule so that my £390 can include 'special' items such as brake fluid replacement, coolant replacement, checking that DPF/EGR is all working properly, in replacement for things such as 'Check battery, Check wiper blades, Check tyre pressure, Check tyre condition' none of which need doing as they've all been replaced in summer and car has just had MOT (no issues reported). As another example, instead of paying someone to inspect my bone-dry engine for external oil leaks, how about they check if oil is leaking someone less obvious such as turbo seals.

It just feels like you either pay for a service that is arguably checking really obvious things that most of us (on this forum) would already be aware of, or you have to wait until something is broken. There doesn't seem to be much in between.

I'm aware I can just phone up a garage and ask, but I'd like to hear the opinion of some of you guys who work/have worked in the trade.

Sorry in advance if this seems an odd question....
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 21:07   #2
kenny
Master Member

You can ask for what ever service you want however if you deviate from what is stated in the Volvo service items I doubt it will be classed as a service and you may not get things like free software updates or the annual brake down service. You might not even get a service stamp as you have not had a proper service from them. The service price is set by Volvo and the dealers follow repair guides lines from Volvo which give them a set time for each job. I would expect you would be charged the set rate for each item you want addressed which could add up to a lot more than you think.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 22:59   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

You can certainly tweak the work to suit & you'll still get the book stamped, free updates & Volvo Assist. I recently had a major service done & added in serpentine belt, tensioner etc that should have been done at previous service, also coolant & brake fluid were added as extras. During the work, it also needed steering pump, so it was just easier to have it all done while it was in pieces. I was able to knock nearly £300 off total by mentioning Volvo Owners Club which made it slightly less painful.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 08:59   #4
Billggski

Internet forums in a nutshell.
Two different answers!
Phone the dealer.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 13:10   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

It'll no doubt depend on the dealer & the circumstances of the individual. In my case, I was adding things to the service rather than taking bits away. I'm sure if I asked if they could strip everything off the list but just top up the washer fluid, then I would not get a stamp in the book

Where there was one item that was in the schedule, but they were unable to change, they removed it off the invoice so I was only charged for the work they completed.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 18:33   #6
Motorhate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
I was able to knock nearly £300 off total by mentioning Volvo Owners Club which made it slightly less painful.
How does this work and how do you join the owners club?
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 19:38   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Send them £30 and your in. There is a link on the top of the home page of the forum.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 19:40   #8
Simon Jones
Premier Member

If you want to join, info here: https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/membership.shtml

In terms of a dealer discount, just ask if they offer the owners club discount & they'll probably give you 10%. I've never been asked to provide any evidence of being a member so just give it a whirl. I found the dealer was very keen to get my business & the service manager was quite amenable for a haggle .
2001 V70 D5 - sold