Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are my lights on?!?!

Views : 1008

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2017, 12:20   #11
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
The Volvo system of giving no indication whatsoever to the driver of the condition of their dipped headlights is one of the most annoying "features" of the car. The only way to tell is the reflection from the car in front!
Which you will need to be too close for safety to tell!

Wouldn't you just love to spend some time telling designers of all types of products how to live in the real world once in a while?
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 13:01   #12
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
Which you will need to be too close for safety to tell!

Wouldn't you just love to spend some time telling designers of all types of products how to live in the real world once in a while?
Absolutely. They should be forced to use/live in/wear their creations.

I did try it with the Rohan (outdoor clothes) designer who was visiting Durham last year. They showed interest, then left everything as it is.
Somewhere around 25 years ago the then chief designer could not understand why I was complaining about a pair of trousers they had advertised with a pocket to hold an Ordnance Survey map. An OS map is approximately 24cm long as sold; the pocket was at most 18cm long. "It fits if you fold the map in half", said the designer!

There is a LONG list of issues with the XC60.
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 14:51   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

There may be a list, and it may be long but each individuals preference for something to be this way or that way doesn't make that issue a design fault.

I have no issues with where the EPB switch is, in fact I think it is placed very sensibly - other disagree, I have no issue with the headlights not having a tell tale - other disagree (I do feel that the headlights come on too easily though), I do have an issue with many aspects of the satnav, other disagree.

In all cases they are what they are and they aren't going to change - certainly not as a result of a very small number of drivers here.
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 15:03   #14
chrisnoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
There may be a list, and it may be long but each individuals preference for something to be this way or that way doesn't make that issue a design fault.

I have no issues with where the EPB switch is, in fact I think it is placed very sensibly - other disagree, I have no issue with the headlights not having a tell tale - other disagree (I do feel that the headlights come on too easily though), I do have an issue with many aspects of the satnav, other disagree.

In all cases they are what they are and they aren't going to change - certainly not as a result of a very small number of drivers here.
I don't think the number of drivers that think the XC60 should have a headlight tell tale is small. It's fairly obvious that this omission is actually a serious one which impinges on safety, hopefully the new model rectifies this. I don't think this is a case of personal preference.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisnoy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 16:09   #15
GJB
Premier Member

Question

Is this fitted on new XC60 anyone know?
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 16:27   #16
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoy View Post
I don't think the number of drivers that think the XC60 should have a headlight tell tale is small. It's fairly obvious that this omission is actually a serious one which impinges on safety, hopefully the new model rectifies this. I don't think this is a case of personal preference.
I don't see it as a safety issue in anyway, nor do I see is a large number of people who want one - not even here.

As I said, the headlights are sensitive - they come on very early, much earlier than people would put them on manually - plus had there been any issue then the car would not have gained type approval.
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 20:53   #17
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
I did try it with the Rohan (outdoor clothes) designer who was visiting Durham last year. They showed interest, then left everything as it is.
Somewhere around 25 years ago the then chief designer could not understand why I was complaining about a pair of trousers they had advertised with a pocket to hold an Ordnance Survey map. An OS map is approximately 24cm long as sold; the pocket was at most 18cm long. "It fits if you fold the map in half", said the designer!
The problem with Rohan is that they have long ceased to be the company which was founded by Paul and Sarah Howcroft in the 1970's. I had a some early windproof tops and trousers. Unbeatable. Now the company has been sold on and seems to spend half the year selling off 'last season's' stock at gradually increasing discounts before each sale period ends. The designs have been 'copied' and there is nothing special in their range.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote