Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hello new member here

Views : 427

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2019, 18:40   #1
R67ADB

Default Hello new member here

Hi everyone I just bought a Volvo 240 2.0 project for £600 it's a 1991 model with a B200f engine. It does need a bit of work. The exhaust is rusted and it has a leak from the water pump gasket and there is water leaking into the passenger footwell. Also the previous owner advised me that the car cuts out in the rain sometimes.

I've bought a new battery for it and a new water pump gasket and seal kit. the water pump looks fairly new but it looks like someone used the old gasket. Hopefully the gasket kit will arrive tomorrow.

Also the exhaust manifold looks horrible with a lot of corrosion on cylinder 1 so I'm going to replace the manifold and treat it to some new exhaust studs as well.

Does anyone know the size and length of exhaust studs I need?
R67ADB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 20:26   #2
eternal optimist
Master Member

Hi there. I do like a 200, had a Torslanda estate the same year as yours a while ago.

Unless it’s blowing, I’d be inclined to leave the exhaust manifold alone. They’re cast iron and all look rusty after a while. I’ve seen them cracked, but never rusted through.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 20:56   #3
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

Default Bonnet hinge

Hi looks like you need a bonnet hinge or two. I’ve a couple of good spare pairs plus a ton of other bits and pieces - get your pm number boosted by the admin guys and let me know if you want anything. I suggest a bottle of K seal to fix the water leak prob from your heater matrix - I’ve had great results from it for years. I would adopt an if it ain’t broke don’t fix it attitude with the manifold and your 240 in general.
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 21:23   #4
R67ADB

ok I'll leave the exhaust manifold for now. I've stripped the water pump off the engine and will clean the mating surfaces tomorrow now as it was getting dark. Hopefully the gasket and seals come tomorrow I've also ordered 10 litres of ready mix coolant.

Here's a pic of the engine with the water pump removed and you can see the exhaust manifolds poor condition. It's not blowing though luckily.

I'll take it to my local custom exhaust place in a couple weeks when I get paid and will get a exhaust made from the downpipe back.

Does anyone know how much bhp the B200f puts out?
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 21:44   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R67ADB View Post
ok I'll leave the exhaust manifold for now. I've stripped the water pump off the engine and will clean the mating surfaces tomorrow now as it was getting dark. Hopefully the gasket and seals come tomorrow I've also ordered 10 litres of ready mix coolant.

Here's a pic of the engine with the water pump removed and you can see the exhaust manifolds poor condition. It's not blowing though luckily.

I'll take it to my local custom exhaust place in a couple weeks when I get paid and will get a exhaust made from the downpipe back.

Does anyone know how much bhp the B200f puts out?
112 bhp 158 nm torque
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 23:15   #6
R67ADB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
112 bhp 158 nm torque
Thanks this makes ordering parts on eBay easier now
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 23:47   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I very nearly went for this one, but with 40 ish Volvo's already of my own...

Not this cars first time living on the island. Lad called Dion had this one a few years ago when it looks a bit cleaner

There are not all that many other 240 owners on the island so nice to have another one here
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 00:24   #8
R67ADB

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I very nearly went for this one, but with 40 ish Volvo's already of my own...

Not this cars first time living on the island. Lad called Dion had this one a few years ago when it looks a bit cleaner

There are not all that many other 240 owners on the island so nice to have another one here
That's pretty cool to know some history of the car thanks.
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 12:00   #9
ovlov236

Default new member

welcome to the forum love your new car plenty of helpful people here to help you if you get stuck with any issues enjoy your 240 ....... Louise
ovlov236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 22:08   #10
R67ADB

The waterpump gasket arrived today so I fitted them and were now back on the road. I gave the inside a quick clean and it's come up real good. I've got a few jobs for tomorrow, the rear lights have a dodgy earth/connection when I brake the sidelights go dim and the warning light on the dash lights up also the screenwash pump is not working so I will have to investigate that.