Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changed intercooler on D5 185

Views : 1783

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2020, 13:09   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
I have vida dice but have not managed to set it up on my Windows 10 laptop yet.
I'd get Vida running as a priority as it contains a wealth of functions and information to help solve your issues.

If your laptop can run a virtual machine, I have a complete VM available as a download which can be installed in minutes and certainly faster than trying to make Vida run directly on Windows 10 which is neither quick or simple.

My VM is free to anyone who buys my Dice or £30 to everyone else.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 17:05   #12
heyskull
Heyskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I'd get Vida running as a priority as it contains a wealth of functions and information to help solve your issues.

If your laptop can run a virtual machine, I have a complete VM available as a download which can be installed in minutes and certainly faster than trying to make Vida run directly on Windows 10 which is neither quick or simple.

My VM is free to anyone who buys my Dice or £30 to everyone else.
Yes I have tried to Install onto Windows 10 twice now from clean installs and it hasn't worked, in fact pulling what little hair I have out over this!!!

How will I know whether my laptop can run a virtual machine?

Sadly I personally didn't buy my Dice from you as I am the second owner of this as they had given up...

SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 18:16   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

You can get your exact laptop model/serial name and the processor model name from Control Panel >System then Google each of them separately with the phrase Virtual Machine.
The Google results will hopefully reveal whether or not either or both are or aren't compatible with a VM.

Some aren't compatible but most are so the odds are in your favour.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 22:02   #14
heyskull
Heyskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
You can get your exact laptop model/serial name and the processor model name from Control Panel >System then Google each of them separately with the phrase Virtual Machine.
The Google results will hopefully reveal whether or not either or both are or aren't compatible with a VM.

Some aren't compatible but most are so the odds are in your favour.
Can't find anything but my little laptop is a ASUS X102BA with 4GB of RAM

SC
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 04:10   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
Can't find anything but my little laptop is a ASUS X102BA with 4GB of RAM
A quick Google suggests that it will run a virtual machine but with only a 1GHz dual core processor, you really can't expect it to run Vida particularly well.
It should work but it may be like wading through treacle.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 10:08   #16
heyskull
Heyskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
P2004 looks to refer to the swirl flaps (or Intake Manifold Air Control system). This article about the generic P2004 code may help:
https://autoservicecosts.com/obd2-codes/p2004/
and this one about the P2A00 code may also be an issue with the fuel/air mixture or ratio that could be a result of malfunctioning swiirl flaps:
https://autoservicecosts.com/obd2-codes/p2a00/
If the swirl flaps are not opening correctly (and there's no where for the air to go), then I suppose it's possible an over boost condition could be detected by the MAP sensor if the VNT can't be backed off enough.
Spending some time getting VIDA/DiCE to work might be a good starting point as the generic codes can be a bit misleading. The problem with diagnostics codes is that they don't necessarily point to a particular device or component at fault but indicate a set of conditions or symptoms that exist.
On a further note.
Would tying the swirl flaps open help some of the issue?
I have seen some people here have done this and it should help on the overboosting and fuel/air mixture.
The name "swirl flap" is a little misleading as the flaps are just a throttle valve and close and open creating a swirl within the intake manifold helping to improve the mixing of the fuel-air mixture at low engine speeds.

Thanks
SC
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 09:45   #17
Longhouse21
Master Member

If my theory regarding manifold pressure is correct then I would expect a fully open swirl flap to help. You may find a decrease in fuel efficiency due to inefficient fuel/air mixing and there may possibly be other issues that show up relating to the fuel/air mixture and fuel burn, but in the short term, it could prove a point.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 15:53   #18
heyskull
Heyskull

On a further further note.

When I first got the car the previous owner had said that No.1 and No.3 injectors were faulty and needed replacing.
I managed to get hold of 4off them and replaced 1,3 and 5 as I couldn't work out which was No.1.
I am begining to question whether these were out of a 185 as I was told they were!

SC
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 16:14   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

Injector 1 is at the timing belt end and runs through from 1 to 5 from left to right as you stand in front of the car looking at the engine.
Some injectors require no coding, some can be coded with Vida and some need a dealer only software download.
Which procedure your specific injectors need is detailed in Vida as is the part numbers so you can check against what you have bought.

However you choose to get Vida, just get it as working without it is crazy. There are endless ways that these cars can trip you up if you don't have all the tools at your disposal.
No fix needs 4 injectors as one injector fails at worst and much more likely on the 185 is chaffed wiring harnesses so the money spent on unnecessary injectors could have been better utilised elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 07:43   #20
heyskull
Heyskull

I managed to scan with VIDA but it is showing lots of issues from a long time ago.
How do I just show recent and faults that are ongoing?

On a different issue (and through my stupidty) when changing the intercooler (used) which was marked for a 2.0 Turbo and is exactly the same one for a D5.
I left in the MAP sensor, it turns out the MAP sensors are different in these cars.
So this could be causing a running issue, especially as it is now running worse than before.

SC