Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1965 Volvo Amazon (121)

Views : 40559

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 16:20   #201
Jackman

200th post

Been at it again, working outside the garage so its not great fun.

However ive done a bit, and got things almost right. Bit more to do to get it perfect but its a start. Missing quite a few pictures from the day, however once i take it all off again i shall get the pictures.

Passenger side, made new panel. Its a good inch longer than required, shall be cut to the correct size once everything is right.

Using the front to help get the alignment right.

And touchdown.

Starting to look more like a car now, im still waiting to hear back off a company about dipping the panels, hopefully they get back to me soon.
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 18:30   #202
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

steer clear of "SPL" they damage ya stuff and get funny with you when you ask what happened there then ? you get bossman all in ya face and storage at that place is something to be desired all went down hill when they lost the place next to them all stuff gets coated off site and thats when you get problems ... just wanted to bring that up i would never ever use that company again cowboys without resources and that old saying treat your customers with respect and there always (9/10) right needs to come back in my view at some places, if you treat them right they will come back and bring there friends aswell spending money £££££ $$$$$ everyones a winner

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 18:55   #203
Jackman

Thanks for that, i have head similar stories about them. The place i found was in preston, but it seems like they are still closed as i cant get hold of them.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 11:37   #204
Saner

Just seen the above about SPL, where would you recommend instead to get the Shell E-Coated?

Mine is in bare metal, needing to be re-dipped and then coated but SPL are the only place I know that do the coating.
Saner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 11:54   #205
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i think there is a place in bedfordshire i have heard people talk about and they seem very resonable prices , do read the full processs and after care do`s AND dont`s when paint preping and painting you could void any warranty for example if you damage the etching primer they dont like that but make sure your paint guy knows what he has to do ( read up ) i recommend using a good epoxy primer then paint ( as you wish ) to suit ..... your paint will stay on car then

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 15:23   #206
Jackman

Well work is still busy and ive not had any real time to do work on the volvo but ive been trying to make more room in my garage in order to continue with the project.

While tidying i found these, they are very cool to me. Replaceable wiper blades.

Cleaned out the boot of all the spares and its quite solid apart from the rear valance corners but i knew that anyway.

All the brightwork to clean and polish up.

Here are the metal front panels and wings i bought, hopefully will be going to get dipped next week if i can get them in.

Hopefully they wont come back much worse than they are now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 19:05   #207
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - I'm guessing it will be a shock when you get some of those bits back, can't you find front wings, for example? Whatever happens I'm sure you will have a great time fixing it all and it will be worth it. Shame about how work interferes, isn't it???
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 21:09   #208
Jackman

You can buy wings new, however its the price tag that stops me, they are not cheap. It works out cheaper to get them dipped and repaired than a new set of wings.

Yeah it is ashame about work but as i currently work in a place that restores and services cars its helping me out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 22:31   #209
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Well that makes sense, don't quit your day-job, I guess.

If you were here in Calgary I could put twenty fenders/wings in your hands in much better shape than that; I guess even used ones are rare there?
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 20:21   #210
Jackman

Well once again ive made a small amount of progress, nothing much for pictures though. Work is really busy (12hr+ days to finish restorations) but i may have a workshop to move the volvo into later in the year.

The time ive had ive been organising the parts i have and doing small repairs to the metal. Wings havent got dipped as ive not had time to send them off.

On another note, ive bought a donor engine for it today, pics when i get it
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post: