Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electric handbrake

Views : 3688

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2015, 08:53   #11
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
I'd imagine applying the brake at speed would be 'interesting' (unlike with a manual PB, which you can drag slightly), unless they have some kind of protection in place?
Not really, it applies the brakes just like you would doing a controlled stop with the footbrake. The ABS kicks in if necessary too. I tried this on my wife's C4 Grand Picasso on a quiet, gravel road to see what exactly the car would do.

When the car stopped then the parking brake was applied as expected.

I have not tested it with my S60. I would hope there'd be a standard for this.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 10:16   #12
xsaab
Master Member

"found it disorientating to have the handbrake switch on the righthand side of the dashboard. I've not driven a Volvo before and all other cars I've driven have had the handbrake switch in the centre near the gear lever. Any views on this please, is it just something you get used to? "

For the last 40 years of driving I have found the ignition key to be adjacent to the gear lever, so I find it very frustrating to find in some other places eg on the steering column or on the dashboard.

Some cars have the steering wheel on the left side of the car - one just gets used to the funny little ways of the minority car manufacturers. <g>
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 02:34   #13
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Not really, it applies the brakes just like you would doing a controlled stop with the footbrake. The ABS kicks in if necessary too. I tried this on my wife's C4 Grand Picasso on a quiet, gravel road to see what exactly the car would do.

When the car stopped then the parking brake was applied as expected.

I have not tested it with my S60. I would hope there'd be a standard for this.
All EPB's are like that so you can bring the car to safe stop whilst maintaining control should the footbrake fail.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 08:48   #14
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post

It won't release if your not wearing the seat belt. As you were "...off a road.", it does suggest that this might have been your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
Yes it will if you hold the button long enough. electric handbrakes are the spawn of he devil.
Don't buy any car with an electric handbrake if it doesn't have a manual release override as it will get costly when it goes wrong.
Sorry, that should read ....auto release.......

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 12:58   #15
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Why does the handbrake have to be electrical ? It's just another thing to go wrong & end up costing a fortune to fix.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 16:19   #16
TimS

I did a quick (slow) test yesterday (dry tarmac), & tried applying the PB at about 10MPH. The car made the 'seatbelt' bong at me, I believe the rear ABS might have pulsed once, & the PB didn't seem to try & re-engage.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 16:40   #17
tt82
Forum Support Team

I did it at a higher speed with a V70 higher car a few years ago. It did pretty much the same as you describe Tim. I do wonder if it needs to be pressed and held, as opposed to just pressed once.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 19:33   #18
green van man
Premier Member

And there's a problem, instinctively in an emergency as it total break failure the natural instinct is to grab towards yourself as in pull the switch not push it as is needed to engage the EPB.
Thank god we have plenty of air bags as its gonna hurt.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 19:50   #19
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

'Fraid I am going to disagree with the pull theory - all emergency switches that I have ever seen need you to push them to activate, never seen one that needs you to pull, with the noticeable exception of a train where you pulled the cord for an emergency (but there was a reason for pull rather than push)

I actually find the location of the button sensible and very easy to use especially as I never need to release the brake, only ever apply it - I have banged my hand a few times on the Landrover dashboard looking to put it on when parking it up
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 20:09   #20
blackrevolver
Premier Member

I mentioned this before but one of the more hilarious exchanges with a fellow commuter was this guy asking me a question about the area, getting back in his car and then for about 1 minute he couldn't move the car but I could see the bonnet dipping! turned out he didn't have a clue on how to release the "automatic" handbrake ! ...not sure how that could go wrong as I assume its meant to just release but still, comical!
blackrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote