Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual or Auto - which do you prefer?

Views : 40731

Replies : 415

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: I prefer the following
Manual 328 44.93%
Automatic 402 55.07%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7th, 2011, 10:13   #311
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159john View Post
Apologies if this is covering old ground; but why not a geartronic? In a big car I always prefer auto's and currently have an S60 2.4 Geartronic - because I also like having the tiptronic function. I think the geartronic has some serious shortfalls in tiptronic mode; just wondered if your dislike of them ties in with what I see as it's shortfalls.
yes , I'd like to know what he specifically dislikes about the geartronics, hopefully he'll get back to us
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 20:23   #312
faffi
Motorcyclist

My Mondeo had a 5-tronic, which I'm led to believe is the same as the Geartronic.

Dislikes:
- Slow reaction compared to an old style automatic, takes forever to change gear. That goes for normal shifts in general, but kick-down in particular.

- Cannot skip gears in kick-down mode; sit in 5th and stomp on the loud pedal and it's 4th, 3rd and eventually 2nd gear. Old school autoboxes usually jumps directly to the required gear.

- It is actually possible to come to a compete stop and take off again without the box shifting into 1st gear until you've moved 10 yards. Very annoying.

- Inefficient. Consumption in city mode worse than traditional autos and much worse on the motorways compared to trad autos with lock-up.

- More compex due to electronics that also tries to read your driving style - and since I drive either hard or very gentle, but rarely in between, it's constantly confused as in too lazy the odd time I want sport performance - that can lead to failures and certainly more cost over time.

In theory, functionality from the 5-tronic should be superior to the sort of "plain" autoboxes we've had for decades, but in actual use it is inferior in virtually every way IMNSHO.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 21:58   #313
159john

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
My Mondeo had a 5-tronic, which I'm led to believe is the same as the Geartronic.

Dislikes:
- Slow reaction compared to an old style automatic, takes forever to change gear. That goes for normal shifts in general, but kick-down in particular.

- Cannot skip gears in kick-down mode; sit in 5th and stomp on the loud pedal and it's 4th, 3rd and eventually 2nd gear. Old school autoboxes usually jumps directly to the required gear.

- It is actually possible to come to a compete stop and take off again without the box shifting into 1st gear until you've moved 10 yards. Very annoying.

- Inefficient. Consumption in city mode worse than traditional autos and much worse on the motorways compared to trad autos with lock-up.

- More compex due to electronics that also tries to read your driving style - and since I drive either hard or very gentle, but rarely in between, it's constantly confused as in too lazy the odd time I want sport performance - that can lead to failures and certainly more cost over time.

In theory, functionality from the 5-tronic should be superior to the sort of "plain" autoboxes we've had for decades, but in actual use it is inferior in virtually every way IMNSHO.
Doesn't sound like it is the same as Geartronic - my box doesn't display any of those problems. My only real grumble with the Geartronic is that the torque converter won't feed in full torque unless the revs are over 2,500.
159john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 22:41   #314
RCR

I will buy a manual every time I can get one. I will even take a manual in heavy traffic any day however it's getting really hard to find anything with a manual in the States to buy though.

Last edited by RCR; May 7th, 2011 at 22:45.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:00   #315
horsk

I had 8 Volvos over the years and all have been autos but I will swap my V40 XS auto for a V40 Diesel Manual soon just for the fuel economy.

Will miss the auto in traffic but the attraction of 50 plus to the gallon Verses 25 to 30 will outweigh that.

H
horsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 11:28   #316
Chrali

You don't move your car manually, so why bother changing gear manually
Chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:57   #317
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrali View Post
You don't move your car manually, so why bother changing gear manually
Not sure I agree. You have to accelerate and brake. Even with adaptive cruise control you still have to steer (manually) for the time being.

My own preference is still for auto. In my opinion the only reason to opt for a manual is economy. When test driving before ordering my XC60 (still waiting for confirmation of delivery date), I tried both but still came back to the auto. I found that several things came more easily in the auto, notably the electronic handbrake. I know the handbrake is not strictly necessary if the car is in "park" but old habits die hard.

As far as I am concerned anything that helps reduce stress when driving is good, as stress can lead to frustration. I can't wait to have the Driver Support pack. OK you may think it takes away driver control, for example checking mirrors before any change of speed or direction. However if you are paying attention, you will still do that before the car decides to slow down or speed up.
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 20:14   #318
George Holmer
VOC Member

Auto every time, although currently I am stuck with a manual. I still remember the first time I drove an auto, it was a revelation and I remember laughing from excitement, almost like the first time I came to England and realised that it was home. A feeling you cannot explain to other people.
George Holmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 20:18   #319
pdrvolvo
Master Member

Auto for me everytime.

peter.
Old May 24th, 2011, 22:21   #320
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

" My only real grumble with the Geartronic is that the torque converter won't feed in full torque unless the revs are over 2,500. "

is there anyway around this , or is it a " feature " we're stuck with ?
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote