Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2.4D - Oil level going up !

Views : 30513

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2010, 21:45   #41
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Default Diesel particulate filter and rising oil level discussion

There are a number of threads scattered around the various boards for the models affected and it has been suggested to keep the discussion here as the issue is particular to the engines and not the cars.

All the other discussions are indexed in that thread and can be linked to from there to read the previous discussions. If you know of any other discussions let me know and I will add them to the list.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 00:23   #42
r-designbob
Premier Member

Does anyone from R & D read these forums I wonder?
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:51   #43
XC60Monkey

Not quite sure where to post on the link suggested 2 posts back so will keep my comments here.

Dealer claimed there is nothing wrong with my car (rising oil level problem after service) - suspect they have just skimmed some oil off and sent it back. Took it for a long motorway burn in 5th last night having brimmed it with Shell V-Power - hopefully that should help.

I've asked the dealer for clarification on eaxctly which engines have problems although I'm not hopeful of a response - will keep you posted.
XC60Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 02:25   #44
Mindi

Default Oil level Aust

as i am in the market i asjed Volvo Aust about this and they replied that it is not an issue here as only relevant in Europe. They claim that the max 5% bio component in Australian diesel is not a problem, and that the problem is caused by bio diesel in the first place. I guess if any Australian owner has the problem it would disprove this stance pretty quickly...?

I just couldnt buy a car which has a design oil level in the sump...and then the fmfe recommends reducing this recommended level by 30% on the road to allow level increase by dilution which they say will no have an effect on quality of lubrication and eventually engine life..? ...so if I buy expensive fully synthetic oil and then dilute it with diesel up to 30% it will be just as good..? I would be surprised if the chemical engineers designing Castrol Softec feel that way about their oil product.

Can understand this as an emergency response but it is no way an engineering solution. Are they underwriting the engine life of the D5s they are encouraging owners to run with diluted lubricant as if it is all OK..?
Mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 05:15   #45
Vecais

The dipstick mark between full and refill is only about 10% of the total oil volume. So 30% of this gauge is only about 3% of the total oil. Not ideal to have it diluted 3%, but no disaster in my view.

In any case, no rising oil level problem apparent here.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:54   #46
Mindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
The dipstick mark between full and refill is only about 10% of the total oil volume. So 30% of this gauge is only about 3% of the total oil. Not ideal to have it diluted 3%, but no disaster in my view.

In any case, no rising oil level problem apparent here.
You are dead right of course..I realised my mistake after posting and hoped I could fix it before anyone else noticed...hahah..but as you say the story is still bad even if 3% ..really interesting to see if the Volvo Aust claim of "no problem here" is true. Thanks the correction.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 11:58   #47
XC60Monkey

Default the plot thickens

The car asked for a second oil level service on Saturday and so I went straight down to dealers and demanded some answers. Apparently they did suck some of the 'oil' out at first visit. I insisted they replace the oil this time which they assured me they did (although I'm not convinced (it only took 40 mins)) AND they updated the software which now instructs the electronic dipstick to OVERSTATE the oil level on purpose. Apparently, they have had people topping up oil when their cars have been returned with oil below full. So now, I know I have deisel entering my oil and Volvo fiddling with the software to mask the issue! MPG still at 22 rather than the 33 prior to the service - so HALF of the advertised 40MPG combined for 2.4D.

To be honest, I dont think Volvo have a handle on the problem yet so its time for that nice petrol Q5 with s-tronic. Shame - in all other respects, I love the car. At least I can get out without a loss given the strength of used prices.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:00   #48
XC60Monkey

Just read the 2.0T petrol engine post - please Volvo bring this to the UK.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 23:49   #49
Mindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Monkey View Post
The car asked for a second oil level service on Saturday and so I went straight down to dealers and demanded some answers. Apparently they did suck some of the 'oil' out at first visit. I insisted they replace the oil this time which they assured me they did (although I'm not convinced (it only took 40 mins)) AND they updated the software which now instructs the electronic dipstick to OVERSTATE the oil level on purpose. Apparently, they have had people topping up oil when their cars have been returned with oil below full. So now, I know I have deisel entering my oil and Volvo fiddling with the software to mask the issue! MPG still at 22 rather than the 33 prior to the service - so HALF of the advertised 40MPG combined for 2.4D.

To be honest, I dont think Volvo have a handle on the problem yet so its time for that nice petrol Q5 with s-tronic. Shame - in all other respects, I love the car. At least I can get out without a loss given the strength of used prices.
Maybe there isnt a "fix" as such and it is a significant design problem in the DPF and injection process which is going to need a significant engine redesign in that area..?... I agree from all I have read that you are accurate and fair in describing their approach as masking the problem (rather than solving it) It is pushing me towards the Q5 also even though a considerably higher cost here.
I dont quite see how the dilution/DPF problem would explain the poor fuel consumption...surely the absolute volume of diesel involved in diluting the oil would not be great measured in litres and wouldnt be noticeable in the consumption figures..? Someone smarter than me would have to work it out.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 21:34   #50
DavidG

I have had my XC60 2.4D 175 Geartronic MY10 for one year now and have covered 11000 miles with no problems at all, so my car goes in for its first year service and now just three weeks later I have the oil gauge showing overfull and the oil service required message.
I do not know if any software updates were carried out at the service but I have contacted my dealer about the problem and they seemed to be well aware of the issue, and they have requested I take the car in on Thursday and they say that they require it in for the full day and will provide a loan vehicle, I will be very interested to find out what the rectifcation will consist of if it is going to take all day.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote