Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Out and about after lockdown

Views : 6077

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2021, 13:21   #11
skippyfox
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
And I thought this would be a nice chat about days out ...
Me to....
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 18:21   #12
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Thread has been tidied up and all the derailing posts hidden.

For me, I'm hoping the National can go ahead this year - even if it is reduced in scope on last year with only a single day event and no entertainment.

Hopefully some of the local car clubs can hold some of their events later in the year as there are always some interesting cars at those that roll out for one or two days of the year.

Roll on 2022!

James
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 18:47   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Well i was out and about in my 760 yesterday, collecting an ebay item that i've been watching since December. Couldn't put a bid on as it was collection only in south Essex.

Finally now the travel restrictions have been lifeted i was able to bid and win said item and collect yesterday.

Quite a pleasant (if unnecessarily long drive due to Google Maps "rerouting" me for no good reason) drive down, even managed to find a twisty A road to put the old beast through her paces on the bends (handled surprisingly well), return journey not so nice, first the sat-nag app tried sending me to the M25 then M11 - not chance at 3pm on a Thursday!

Managed to alter it to bring me back mainly on A roads one of which sadly was the A14 but in fairness, an uneventful run.

Just nice to be on the open road again!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 19:37   #14
js90
VOC Member

Planning to take the new car up North in June. Couple of great mountain roads I've got my eye on in the highlands.

Until then, just watching Pilot Assist try to kill me on the commute. You think it would give some sort of warning that it's lost the lines and is, therefore, giving up completely.
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to js90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 20:39   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js90 View Post
Planning to take the new car up North in June. Couple of great mountain roads I've got my eye on in the highlands.

Until then, just watching Pilot Assist try to kill me on the commute. You think it would give some sort of warning that it's lost the lines and is, therefore, giving up completely.
I'd be tempted to switch Pilot Assist off if it does that! Plenty of other "motorists" willing to try and kill innocent victims with bad driving without having a so-called "driver aid" trying to kill you as well!

Hope you enjoy your "Highland Fling" in June!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 08:57   #16
Malcolm Rouchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Any old hearse will do, so it must be possible to find one somewhere. Just make sure it has a good body.

An alternative would be a wedding car, but then, you may end up having to marry one of the attendees in order to hold a reception. I think a hearse is favourite.
When I was stationed in Singapore during the late 60's, the station hearse was an old Austin K9 3 ton truck.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 13:18   #17
Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Cake View Post
Plans for the Big Trip out are firmly in place.
Collect car from local Car Hire place (asked for XC90, so fingers crossed).
Collect sprog from school and drive to Lands End.
Stay overnight at hotel and wake up in time for sunrise.
Get in car (hopefully XC90, keeping thread On T) and drive John O Groats.
Watch sunset at John O Groats.
Fair play that's a huge driving day. 14 hours would smash my record - you must have an understanding sprog. I do love a big roadtrip though!
Simian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 13:31   #18
Mint Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simian View Post
Fair play that's a huge driving day. 14 hours would smash my record - you must have an understanding sprog. I do love a big roadtrip though!
It will be a long day, but if teh road fairies are kind and the car is a mileage muncher, it'll be absolutely fine.
In all honesty, I'm dead chuffed and surprised that my daughter wants to do the trip with me - time with Dad must still hold some sort of attraction (plus slonking off school for half a day)

& it looks like Wee Jimmy Krankie is reopeng the border at the end of April, so all should be good.
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mint Cake For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 08:11   #19
Mint Cake

Todays Day #1 of LeJog and we're setting off late morning for Lands End. By a quirk of fate, where I am is very, very close to being half way between Le & Jog.
I expect thatwe'll have covered 1750ish miles by the time we get home late afternoon/early Sunday evening.

To keep it on topic, the rental company have told me that I'm getting an XC90.

Chocks away, Tally Ho and see you on the other side.

Last edited by Mint Cake; Jun 18th, 2021 at 08:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mint Cake For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 11:10   #20
Mint Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Cake View Post
Todays Day #1 of LeJog and we're setting off late morning for Lands End. By a quirk of fate, where I am is very, very close to being half way between Le & Jog.
I expect thatwe'll have covered 1750ish miles by the time we get home late afternoon/early Sunday evening.

To keep it on topic, the rental company have told me that I'm getting an XC90.

Chocks away, Tally Ho and see you on the other side.
Ah well, that all went wrong, rather quickly - XC90 no available, so swapped out for a Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design (I think).
The drives themselves
South Cumbria - Lands End Fri afternoon. 418 miles ish. Traffic heavy in places. Arrived in time to see the sunset. Job Done.
Lands End - John O Groats. Up in time to see the Sunrise (5.15ish). Set off at 05.30 A seamless drive to John O Groats, without being stopped in traffic once. After 8 hours non-stop, we were into chilly Jockland and stopped for a brew and food. Effortless drive to JOG and we landed uo at the signpost just under 15 hours and 845 miles after we'd set off. Dinner in the pub, then off to Dunnet Head to see the birds flying backwards, watch teh ships sailing past and see the Sun setting at about 22.30.
Sunrise and the bottom, sunset at the top - Job done.
Sunday. Off to the Orneys on the passenger ferry, back to JOG for some tourist tat. Easy drive back home via some distilleries and home in time for tea and medals circa 450 miles later (took a few touristy diversions).
In conclusion - Southbound to LE was fairly bleugh at times, with long sections of standing/congested traffic.
Northbound to JOG was a breeze, but the Perth to Inverness average speed camera section clips your wings !
Southbound JOG to South Cumbria was a doddle again.

Back on topic.
I was disappointed to be downgarded from an XC90 to a XC60. A wedge of discount and some "free fuel" eased the pain.
I'd never had a XC60 before and this is what I found (partially compared to my MY20 V90 Resign +).
The XC60 was a B4 AWD. I think that it was an R-Design, but there was nothing to visibly show it.(no badge, no badge on steering wheel, no R-Design on headrest). Spec was OK ish but missed HUD and bendy headlights. Stop/Start was excellant and nearly instant. Soundproofing very good from engine bay. Engine hummed away very nicely - performance was absolutely fine, but with being in eco nearly all the way, wasn't put to the test. R-Design (?) seat very comfy, but lack of power adjustment and memory not ideal. Couldn't adjust the front of the seat for height, which seemed odd. Some of the plastics lower down were hard and felt "cheap".
Over the 1700+ mile trip, we got 51mpg, which was very acceptable (as an aside, the ADBlue usage seemed really high).

Never having driven an XC60 be for, was I impressed ? Yes, I certainly was.
Would I swap it for my V90 ? No thank you - the spec in my V90 is higher and the cabin is of a higher quality.

T'was a cracking trip.

My daughter suggests that next time we reverse the trip
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mint Cake For This Useful Post: