Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is there any Record for Amazon Top Speed as a Driver Driver?

Views : 2157

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2014, 20:37   #1
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Default Is there any Record for Amazon Top Speed as a Driver Driver?

I am very curious if there is some sort of Top Speed record for a Daily Driver capable Amazon? I know there are probably recorded 1/4 mile times for these cars as Drag Cars, and maybe some Lap Times/Top Speed results for Road Course dedicated cars, but is there anything out there for something that is resembling a daily driver capable car?

I have a Standing 1 Mile Top Speed Run coming up, and my goals for this Amazon will be the 175-180mph mark in the Standing Mile as a daily driver with all the modern conveniences, amd there are actual top speed obstacles added by the fact the car is a driver, because I am not trying to sacrifices any daily comforts that would typically be removed for a dedicated race car. I am really curious, because I would like to see some pictures of some of the fastest Amazon's that were capable of some sort of prolonged top speed, along with seeing some of the efforts that were made to ensure these cars were capable aerodynamically.

If you have any insight as to what the ballpark results have been with any particular car, along with any pictures of the cars that were capable of 130mph plus on something other 1/4 mile drag strip , it would be appreciated. Top Speed on a short 1/8 or 1/4 mile run is way different then a full mile or more, because there are other factors to consider with the prolonged speed over a greater distance, and that is why people have to dedicate their suspension, body, and powertrain setups for each desired race event.

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Jan 25th, 2014 at 23:24.
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 22:41   #2
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Given that your car has about as much in common with an Amazon as a piece of cheese, I don't think this board will be able to answer your query.

HTH.
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 22:51   #3
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobandhismakarov View Post
Given that your car has about as much in common with an Amazon as a piece of cheese, I don't think this board will be able to answer your query.

HTH.
My query is for aerodynamic issues, and what the speed capability of these bodies were by other guys that have built them for other duties.. My Amazon is not far off an originals body configuration at all, and it also has the same basic overall weight but with better weight distribution, so I figured I would be able to use some aerodynamic information if it was out there.

Flush Mount Glass

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Jan 25th, 2014 at 22:56.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 23:09   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You would have to beat the vox Amazon and that s**ts on lambos and ferraris.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 23:15   #5
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
You would have to beat the vox Amazon and that s**ts on lambos and ferraris.
That was from a Rolling Start because they wanted to eliminate the traction advantage of the Ferrari's, and not to mention a very short run that probably didn't get up to maybe 140-150mph? The Lambo's and Ferrari's really are not that spectacular by today standards, and a lot of the mass produced common cars have better stats then those.. I think it would have been interesting if they had actually Clocked the speed of the cars, and I have a feeling the Ferrari would have surely taken the Volvo with just a little more distance, and that is probably a lot of the reason for the short run. I love the Vox car, but that was a very staged and precise scenario for exhibition purposes, and by looking at the build I am not sure if that is really classified as a daily driver configuration?

Flush Mount Glass

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Jan 25th, 2014 at 23:21.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 23:44   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

What numbers to you get when you calculate the top speed on the gearing you have? Say speed in each gear at max power revs plus a nominal 200rpm. If this is a flying mile, what speed do you enter the trap and where do they measure your speed.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 23:53   #7
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
What numbers to you get when you calculate the top speed on the gearing you have? Say speed in each gear at max power revs plus a nominal 200rpm. If this is a flying mile, what speed do you enter the trap and where do they measure your speed.

This is a Standing 1 Mile Top Speed.. During this mile your times and speeds are caught at different points of the mile, and the recorded Top Speed you are traveling when you cross the 1 mile mark. I am not worried about being able to hit the mph mark with gearing or power, I am really only concerned with the aerodynamic and weight properties of the car being a factor over 150mph (Which it gets there easily in 4th at this point), because there are potential air flow issues over that. I will say that at the 100mph up, I don't notice the Turbulent air that is common to a lot of car, and can normally be felt and heard with the beating on the side windows along with a bumpy resistance.. I was very surprised on how quiet the air is on this car while it is over 100mph, so I am hoping that translates to less issues to combat on the 1 mile run.. LOL

I am currently running a 3:50 rear gear ratio as a daily, and I am achieving an instant 115mph when shifting out of 3rd gear, but I will be bumping up to a 3:20 or 3:08 rear end ratio, and that should get me up at my goal speed of 175-180mph while taching within my power range. Each of those gear ratio's have their benefits, but I am thinking I would be better off going with the 3.20 ratio to keep the rev's up instead of potential lugging, but it could be the case that the 3.08's might be better due to not needing as much rev's.. These LS motors pull hard all the way to max rev, so I will have to figure out the best shift points when I get there, and luckily there will be a lot of runs for trial and error..

Here is the 3.08 Gearing @ Max Rev

----Ratio--------------------------------MPH

1st 2.87------------------------------59.3

2nd 1.89-----------------------------90.3

3rd 1.28-----------------------------133.4

4th 1.00-----------------------------170.7

5th .82------------------------------208.2

Here is the 3.20 Gearing @ Max Rev

----Ratio--------------------------------MPH

1st 2.87------------------------------57.2

2nd 1.89------------------------------86.9

3rd 1.28-----------------------------128.4

4th 1.00-----------------------------164.3

5th .82------------------------------200.4

Flush Mount Glass

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Jan 26th, 2014 at 00:39.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 13:01   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Without looking to see how I could back calculate the speeds in the gears with your current 3.50 diff I'd probably say that you're more likely to get a better max speed using that. i.e. max revs in 5th, even though it is an overdrive, giving a speed of about 185. Being lower geared it would give you a bit of extra punch to overcome the wind resistance at top speed. I think I'd be more worried about a build up of cabin pressure at high speed and as you are into windows that may have crossed your mind. Unfortunately, having fixed the rear side windows you can't crack them open a fraction to get a little bit of flow.
I'd think that using an alternate set of grilles which give a flush shape to the front but with a much smaller central air intake for cooling would be beneficial at the higher speeds.
Next step Bonneville?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 15:59   #9
guitarman

Ha! a somewhat curious question for this forum. I'd imagine that at any speed over 100mph you would begin to get a distubingly light front end with an Amazon bodyshell- some serious airdam and undertray type work must be part of the solution?
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 17:00   #10
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
Ha! a somewhat curious question for this forum. I'd imagine that at any speed over 100mph you would begin to get a distubingly light front end with an Amazon bodyshell- some serious airdam and undertray type work must be part of the solution?
The funny thing is, that isn't the case at all, and my car has been 140mph+ on the track. I drive the car daily and I will say that I love to accelerate up to 120mph on the straight Interstate onramps before merging into traffic, and I honestly don't feel the light front end feeling. (Keep in mind we are Rural, so our highways are not bumper to bumper. LOL)

The car is lowered, and I am sure that helps, but I am obviously not on a continued long pull with the scenario's posted above..

Flush Mount Glass