Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manol JWS 3309 ATF, anyone used it?

Views : 3242

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2015, 12:17   #1
KazFarooq
Volvo XC90

Default Manol JWS 3309 ATF, anyone used it?

This has probably been discussed. I want to change ATF in my 2007 D5 using Gibbons technique. Mobil quite pricey. Mannol very well priced from Germany on EBay. Before people shoot me down and write about not to compromise on gearbox lube, it's more a case of if anyone has used it. Any any issues? And those in the know (I'm a novice at such tasks), would you trust such a product? If specc'd on the bottle correctly, is that enough of a reassurance?
It is correctly specc'd.
Regards
Kaz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-5x4-Lit...0AAOSw0vBUmVkO

Last edited by KazFarooq; Nov 16th, 2015 at 12:22.
KazFarooq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 12:21   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

I've read of at least 4 members who've bought it and used it without incident.
Not seen anything negative about it.

A selection of threads and posts here
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...annol+JWS+3309

Last edited by cheshired5; Nov 16th, 2015 at 12:24.
cheshired5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 17:42   #3
KazFarooq
Volvo XC90

Default Oil purchased!

Thanks for the linkie, after reading through, I decided to buy 20l of the Mannol ATF, after conversion it came to £44.36 with postage. That's a lot less than 5l of Mobil. I'll feedback my findings. My box works well, 90k miles, one sump n dump done. Plan on a full Gibbons exchange. Oil arrives Saturday, job will be done Sunday. Pics to follow.
Kaz
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 17:51   #4
kenny
Master Member

I used it and it was fine. in fact still have 10ltrs in the garage. I would recommend doing several sump changes rather than a full flush. When you change it the new oil will clear out all the valves etc in the box so new oil will become contaminated quite quickly. So several changes will keep cleaning as apose to a full flush which will stay contaminated.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 19:14   #5
KazFarooq
Volvo XC90

Makes sense Kenny. Sump n dump so much easier to do. How many litres do you suggest in total. I know its a dilution technique and you suggested every 1000 miles earlier right?
Kaz

Last edited by KazFarooq; Nov 16th, 2015 at 19:25.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 20:51   #6
kenny
Master Member

Yes I did about 1000 miles between each dump and fill. I didn't think there was anything wrong with my box but straight after the first change it was so smooth it was like a new box. When I changed it again I noticed the same and did a third change just to make sure any contamination was removed.
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 22:22   #7
sreviz
Master Member

Ive done my flush last year with Volvo fluid.
If I want to do several sump changes, Is it alright to add mannol fluid to the the genuine Volvo fluid already in the system?
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 22:26   #8
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I saw it on here and linked it to uksaabs forum where several members have already used it in their 9-5s. All good.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 22:37   #9
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreviz View Post
Ive done my flush last year with Volvo fluid.
If I want to do several sump changes, Is it alright to add mannol fluid to the the genuine Volvo fluid already in the system?
Should be fine, the oil is the same grade, it would be like mixing castrol 3309 oil with Mobil 3309 oil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2015, 00:39   #10
KazFarooq
Volvo XC90

Talking Gibbons done.

Bit the bullet this evening. Decided against Sump n dumps as originally planned for now. Car has done 91k so I decided to do a one off Gibbons to get as much of the old stuff out. I then plan do a sump n dump every 10k with the engine oils n filter changes. This way there will be relatively newish oil in the transmission at any one time (and the engine too of course). Had 20 litres on Mannol JWS3309 to play with. Decided to go for full flush with Gibbons method and had purchased the pipe and spare green clip with o rings.

Sump plugs off, got 3.2 litres. With previous 2 sump n dumps drains 2.2 and 2.7 l. Can anyone explain why the difference, I drained the box in my garage on all three occasions?

Anyway, I replaced the dropped oil, then replacing drain plugs. I flushed through a total of 16l including the first sump n dump. The oil looked new coming up so I couldn't justify further flushing. I did move through all the gears on 3 of the pumps outs. I was not convinced this made any difference ie a sudden ejection of dirty oil. Any comments on this?

I replaced exactly what I drained, carefully measuring losses. Once I replaced filler bolt I let engine run for 15 mins to allow new oil to warm up in the box - do you think that was enough? I opened the level plug with engine running and about 100mls of warm (but not hot) oil flowed out before it dripped at which point I tightened up the bolt.

I took Betty for a 15 mile ride and boy, she was silky smooth. I can not thank the folk on these forums enough. Without the wealth of knowledge on these forums, Volvo garages (and Indies) across the nation would be pocketing our hard earned cash. If I can do this task, anyone can. I'm a ordinarily a Medic not a Mechanic! Do it! And keep your transmission boxes running!

One thing I did notice, on starting the engine for first time after the level check, on selecting reverse to exit my garage, the traction control warning light illuminated, but then went after I selected D to move on forwards , and has remained off. Any ideas? All fine and dandy now.
From one chuffed Doc!

Kaz

Ps I will update how I get on with Mannol transmission oil. By all accounts all should be fine. Still can't believe the cost saving!

Last edited by KazFarooq; Nov 27th, 2015 at 00:41.
The Following User Says Thank You to KazFarooq For This Useful Post: