Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General > S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted...XC90 T8...

Views : 3500

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2021, 22:51   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymcc View Post
Yeh, thats a good shout... Nothing beats picking up the phone and actually speaking to someone.
One thing does ..... Reading the small print yourself 👍
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 23:44   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I will explain how warranties work (as opposed to how the warranty company/car salesman will sell it to you). Anyone who has tried to claim on a warrenty will support this.

1) you purchase a ‘bumper to bumper’ top class product which the sales person tells you ‘basically covers anything other than wear and tear items such as tyres and Windows’.

2). You have an issue and the company will need to see your service history. Every stamp will need to be present. Then every stamp will need to be within 1month/1,000miles of when required or else the claim will be denied as vehicle was not serviced as required. Also every stamp will be followed up to ensure it was a major/minor when required.

Any, and I mean ANY deviation from this since the day the car was made and you have no warrenty.

3). It’s a warranty and not a fit to buy type product. Therefore consumables and ‘normal west and tear’ are not covered. Accordingly your clutch can fail 3 days later, or brake pads, or rotors and you won’t get them replaced. As an Engineer it’s right to take that approach. It’s a friction lining and it is not the warranty companies fault you bought a lemon.

4). You will find your definition of ‘west and tear’ and the warranty companies differs. ‘West and tear’ is actually all friction linings, all bushes, all bearings, all journals etc etc etc. So now things like shell bearings which prematurely west are no longer an engine failure, they are routine west and tear.

5). Upon having anything expensive go wrong the company will demand an ‘independant’ inspection. This ‘independent’ inspection will be by one of their companies. And supprise ‘oil low level’, or ‘starvation’ by owner will be at fault, or maintenance/inspection not carried out, or Blah Blah Blah...

6). There will be limits on payouts. For example £1,000 and your bill will be £1,100 hence it will not be covered period.

Now if you were looking at a £3,000 to £3,500 car then it’s a difficult conversation. But £30,000 you are crazy to boot buy selekt. Volvo are the supplying dealer and Volvo undertake warrenty work. There is no third party and no one to ‘pass the buck’. Drive the car of the forcort and have a 9k engine problem and Volvo will apologise and fix it.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 23:46   #13
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Don’t know why my autocorrect has corrected every ‘wear’ to ‘west’! Apologies!
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 09:12   #14
Guymcc

Thanks for taking the time to reply xc90mk1, that actually really helps.... Perhaps I should just keep driving my disco3! Haha...

So it sounds like selekt is the way to go, and i doubt arnoldclark, even though they are the main dealer in Aberdeen, wont be able to offer the same cover as buying selekt.

I suppose there’s risk in everything, it’s just how you weigh it and how risk averse you are... yes the T8 is a complicated machine... but so are most new cars, and a large bill can happen on any of them... engine failure etc...

How many T8’s have had to have an engine replacement? And why?
What are the big failures on these T8’s... only thing ive read about is the ERAD, and some have had to pay half and some, with third party warranties has had it covered completely....

Clutches can start to go any time, so I’d say thats wear and tear anyway.... and if discs and pads fail, well then thats those items and not the ‘lemon’.

I’m definitely wanting to go in to T8 ownership with my eyes open and want to be aware of potential pitfalls...so feedback on major failures is helpful, as is warranty issues...

Thanks for the help....it does honestly help.
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 09:30   #15
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymcc View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply xc90mk1, that actually really helps.... Perhaps I should just keep driving my disco3! Haha...

So it sounds like selekt is the way to go, and i doubt arnoldclark, even though they are the main dealer in Aberdeen, wont be able to offer the same cover as buying selekt.

I suppose there’s risk in everything, it’s just how you weigh it and how risk averse you are... yes the T8 is a complicated machine... but so are most new cars, and a large bill can happen on any of them... engine failure etc...

How many T8’s have had to have an engine replacement? And why?
What are the big failures on these T8’s... only thing ive read about is the ERAD, and some have had to pay half and some, with third party warranties has had it covered completely....

Clutches can start to go any time, so I’d say thats wear and tear anyway.... and if discs and pads fail, well then thats those items and not the ‘lemon’.

I’m definitely wanting to go in to T8 ownership with my eyes open and want to be aware of potential pitfalls...so feedback on major failures is helpful, as is warranty issues...

Thanks for the help....it does honestly help.
I have bought used before however the one time I had a problem it was an absolute nightmare getting warrenty work done. Every trick in the book was done.

When I bought mine through Volvo (I was lucky they had my colour) I negotiated a really really good price and I was very happy. It was as cheap as an independant.

They said that it would go through the workshop before collection and to my supprise they said the front rotors and pads were low so they replaced them. They also fitted a new indicator assembly in the wing mirror as the old one was found to be faulty (I had not noticed either of these despite being a very competent home mechanic). It had a full Volvo service as they said it only had a few weeks left and came with the year Volvo breakdown cover.

I drove it off the forecourt and it had the only problem I have ever had which was the Haldex control module. Emailed dealer who responded to say bring it back, apologised and said that whatever was required would be completed. They reset it (didn’t work) and then replaced the DEM module without question.

I should image those works would cost me £1,500 at least and I should imagine that it would be an absolute bightmare to get from a third party...

To be fair to Volvo, whilst I don’t rate the dealership (since the day I bought it I have always serviced it myself including cam belt etc) they did stand behind their product 100%.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 09:33   #16
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Incidentally I am not sure how common ERAD problems are but I would cert lot think it is very very common (within perspective). It would be interesting to do a poll on here, I would put it above 10%.

The power pulse pipe can also give issues.

Something like a T8 with its supercharged, turbocharged and electric train is not only costly but also may wel be complex enough to require a number of fixes to work out what is wrong...
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 22:09   #17
Guymcc

Again, thanks for the input.... I have got some time before committing to buying anything, so yeh, will be keeping an eye on stock that volvo selekt have.

Still not sure how arnoldclark in aberdeen tie in with them being the main dealer in the north east of Scotland and with volvo selekt....?? Is there any connection? Can you buy a selekt car from them?
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 09:54   #18
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Yes, Arnold Clark Aberdeen appears to be the Volvo Franchise for the area, so all used cars they sell will be Selekt approved with a Selekt warranty. https://www.volvocars.com/uk/find-a-...ilers/aberdeen

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 10:28   #19
Guymcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
Yes, Arnold Clark Aberdeen appears to be the Volvo Franchise for the area, so all used cars they sell will be Selekt approved with a Selekt warranty. https://www.volvocars.com/uk/find-a-...ilers/aberdeen
AH thats excellent, cheers
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 10:44   #20
Guymcc

Thoughts on this...?? It’s got a tow bar and air suspension ...which is good... definitely pushing the budget... but I dare say i could get something off it.

What grey is it..looks darker than osmium?
https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-car.../arnbi-u-68267